• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel sending unit grounding wire location

em2b96p

My fuel gauge is pegged past full. I've replaced the FSU with a new 24v unit as well as fuel gauge. It's still not fixed. I'm guessing the issue lies with a ground issue? I have looked in the TMs and can't find it. I saw the flow chart in the TM for how to diagnose this issue. All it said is to replace the wire. But doesn't show where this wire is. I really hope I don't have to drop the tank. Does anyone know where on the Humvee the wire grounds to?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the forum!
Have you put a meter on the sending unit wire #58 to see if it is grounded?
Also have you cleaned all the grounding points on the back of the engine and both sides of the firewall behind the inst. panel?

em2b96p

Welcome to the forum!
Have you put a meter on the sending unit wire #58 to see if it is grounded?
Also have you cleaned all the grounding points on the back of the engine and both sides of the firewall behind the inst. panel?

Thanks for the welcome!

I am good at replacing things but not so good at troubleshooting electrical issues. I do have a fluke multimeter but not sure exactly how to use it to see if wire #58 is grounded. Can you elaborate on that process please?

I have not cleaned the ground points. I did see the one on the back left of the engine and can try and clean that. However, I have not looked for the ground point in back of the instrument panel. Is it easy to find?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a bolt going through the fire wall directly in front of where the inst. panel is mounted, you have to pull the panel to get to it, there are ground lugs on both sides of the firewall.
Put your meter in ohms (the sign of the omega) touch the probes together and note the readout, many times it will not be zero, then put one lead on the ground shunt Mounted on the inside towards the front of the battery box, then pierce the insulation on wire #58 at the sending unit and the reading should be close to what you read with the probes touching each other.
You can also pull wire #28 off of the sending unit and ground the end going to the gauge, open will be ether full or empty and shorted to ground will be the other, never can remember which as many types of vehicles are different, but you should see a difference between open and grounded.

You can also pull the wire #58 connection and ohm out the side going into the harness but I prefer to test all circuits in place, thus the piercing of the insulation

em2b96p

There is a bolt going through the fire wall directly in front of where the inst. panel is mounted, you have to pull the panel to get to it, there are ground lugs on both sides of the firewall.
Put your meter in ohms (the sign of the omega) touch the probes together and note the readout, many times it will not be zero, then put one lead on the ground shunt Mounted on the inside towards the front of the battery box, then pierce the insulation on wire #58 at the sending unit and the reading should be close to what you read with the probes touching each other.
You can also pull wire #28 off of the sending unit and ground the end going to the gauge, open will be ether full or empty and shorted to ground will be the other, never can remember which as many types of vehicles are different, but you should see a difference between open and grounded.

You can also pull the wire #58 connection and ohm out the side going into the harness but I prefer to test all circuits in place, thus the piercing of the insulation

I will try all of these suggestions. I will report back with results!

em2b96p

I will try all of these suggestions. I will report back with results!
I took apart the battery cables and cleaned all the grounds and terminals.

I also cleaned the ground on left side of the back of engine. I see the ground wire for fuel sending unit #58 and cleaned it too.

Then i moved onto the ground behind the gauges. I took that bolt out and cleaned it.
20230910_114513.jpg

I grounded the wire from the fuel sending unit and the gauge pegged left below the empty line.

I havent tested the wires with the meter yet.

Problem still exists with th needle pegged past full.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That means ether the wire is not getting to the sending unit, the sending unit is bad or the sending unit is not grounded, have you taken any resistance readings? you should be reading between just a few ohms to ground to around 90 ohms at the sending unit wire at the gauge #28 , if not it somewhere in what I mentioned above.
If you do read from a few ohms to less than 90 at the gauge then the gauge is defective or miss wired

em2b96p

I found the problem! The #58 wire that connects to the fuel sending unit was severed. I found it right above the heatshield of the muffler/resonator. I repaired the wire and now it works. Im not sure how it was damaged in the first place.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks