• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuel shut off doesn't work

gregverena

I have an lds-465-1 deuce (1973) I've discovered that the plunger that is supposed to adjust the fuel shut off is not making contact with the lever it should, allowing the shut off to shut itself off all the time. I can manual adjust the lever and the engine runs etc., but when i put the cover and plunger back on it seems to miss the lever. The plunger seems to be ss and doesn't look worn, but I have no other explanation why this would happen all of a sudden. Has this happened to others> Is this part available anywhere? Any ideas on how to fix it? It seems if I could make the flat end of the plunger a little larger, it should engage, but can 't figure out how to do that.
Thanks.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to be clear: When you open the cover and look at the lever, it sits in the 6 or 7 o'clock position, and the truck starts. When you operate the lever by hand, it has some resistance, moves towards the fire wall, to about the 4 or 5 o'clock position, the engine stops and the lever returns to the 6 or 7 o'clock position by itself when you let it go.

If so, your issue is with the shutoff cable. Does it move easily? Sometimes they get sticky. The plunger end is usually big enough to catch the lever.

Jeepsinker

There is no way the plunger is too small unless it is missing a big chunk, or you have the gasket for the cover doubled up maybe. Make sure the cable is adjusted properly so that the engine will shut down without having to pull it out too far. I think you are overlooking something simple. Maybe have a friend look at it with you to put a fresh pair of eyes on it.

gregverena

Thanks all. Yes, I was referring to the plunger/engine fuel shut off, not the electrical. I think it is an adjustment issue, but not sure how to adjust it-

this seems to be too far cause engine races and there is no throttle control - I have to hand hold it in this position, but starts right away. Seems if the plunger goes too far in, it passes the lever and won't re engage.

IMG_5058.jpg

this seems to be where should be, with shiny pin in the middle just part way in- correct? so plunger should stop at this point.

IMG_5059.jpg

this is where the cable casing is fixed, it had come loose- but probably should be different position.
IMG_5060.jpg

this is what I'm calling the plunger

IMG_5061.jpg
this is where it all is if any doubt

IMG_5062.jpg

thanks for any help or ideas
Greg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
PM sent your way.

So the first 2 pics show the fuel lever. That should be all the way forward(toward radiator) to stop the motor.

That lever should move freely back and forth, if it doesn't, thats trouble. Check that first!

Second, that lever should be moving forward and backward the whole time the truck is running, it does not say in one position.

That "plunger" as you call it, is not supposed to contact the lever except to shut off the motor.(pulled back toward firewall.)

Edit post: there is no adjustment to be had/made.

gimpyrobb

So when you say the motor shuts itself off, what happens? When does it happen?

Some guys have reported that when driving, if they push the clutch in and slow down(like coming to a stop light) the motor stalls out. Is this your issue?

goldneagle

If you disconnect the steel cable from that set screw in the 3rd picture, can you move the plunger further towards the firewall direction? If so then move the cable outer shield towards the firewall and re-tighten the clamp that secures it. That will allow the inner wire to pull the plunger further back.

gregverena

thanks again. When I started after long unuse, the engine raced a few seconds then quite. I saw no fuel coming out an injector hose- didn't realize for a long time that it was the shut off. By manipulationg the lever while engine runs by hand, when it is fully towards the front-radiator, the engine races like mad. The fuel shuts off when the lever goes towards the cab. While running, it seems the lever tries to go in this direction by itself. If I hold the lever in the almost vertical position,. seems to run ok. Shouls the tip of the plunger be on the inside (cab side) or rqadiator side of the lever- in other words, pushing or pulling the lever. What happens is it dis engages totally, the plunger and has no action on the lever. When left untouched the lever goes towards the cab, a pin in the middle of it comes outward and fuel shuts off.

gimpyrobb

That is correct.

Lever toward the radiator is "wfo" Full fuel to the motor. Lever toward the firewall, fuel is cut off. If the lever wants to pull toward the firewall when its running, something is up with your governor.

Might want to pull the FDC off and have a look inside to see if anything looks broke or out of place.

stb64

The only thing that keeps your idle speed down is the throttle return spring. Without it, the engine speed may go out of control, well, to the set high idle speed, normally 2850-2900 rpm, and stay there until you pull the trottle lever back by hand.
Make sure your throttle linkage and return spring are mounted correctly.

gregverena

also, does this mean the fuel shut off "plunger" is supposed to be all the way on the radiator side of the lever and only purpose is to pull the lever towards the cab till shut off? I was thinking it was supposed to push the lever to keep it open since it always wanted to shut off by itself. If so, the issue is the "governor" ? where's that?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
also, does this mean the fuel shut off "plunger" is supposed to be all the way on the radiator side of the lever and only purpose is to pull the lever towards the cab till shut off? I was thinking it was supposed to push the lever to keep it open since it always wanted to shut off by itself. If so, the issue is the "governor" ? where's that?
Yes, you describe the function of the fuel shut off cable "plunger" accurately! Its only job is to pull the lever towards the firewall when you pull the shutoff inside the cab.
The throttle return spring : Maybe this helps: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?131047-Throttle-return-spring-diagram

gimpyrobb

The only thing that keeps your idle speed down is the throttle return spring. Without it, the engine speed may go out of control, well, to the set high idle speed, normally 2850-2900 rpm, and stay there until you pull the trottle lever back by hand.
Make sure your throttle linkage and return spring are mounted correctly.
This really has nothing to do with O.P's original question.
He is wondering why the truck shuts off on its own. From his description, its something internal of the IP.

gregverena

So, thanks for the diagram - all information is useful- also, Gimpyrobb said the lever (still don't know the correct term) should move freely which it wasn't- had to grab it with a vise-grip and move it - anyway, yesterday I noticed that it was moving freely- started it this am and works perfectly -- only thing is, I still don't know what happened, why and what to do should it happen again- which, I hope won't.
This is used on our farm and although not used frequently, when needed, it is indispensable (hauling hay in from fields- very steep- or cleaning our barns) I've installed a dump bed on it to unload. Amazing vehicle.
So, just by mentioning that the lever should be free on this forum, it becomes free! What a powerful forum :)
HAppy 4th and thanks everyone for the help.
G

stb64

Originally posted by Gimpyrobb:
This really has nothing to do with O.P's original question.
He is wondering why the truck shuts off on its own. From his description, its something internal of the IP.
My bad. However, My post wasn't in response to that. It was in response to this:

Originally posted by gregverena:
...this seems to be too far cause engine races and there is no throttle control - I have to hand hold it in this position, but starts right away. Seems if the plunger goes too far in, it passes the lever and won't re engage.