• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel shutoff solenoid

nspctr1

I'm tracking fuel issues with my 998 with a 6.2. I have replaced the mechanical pump and now up to the injection pump. I believe the solenoid is bad so going to replace it. Are these available locally? special order? I've seen a few on EBay but not sure they can be trusted.
what should I expect to pay?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you hear it click the solenoid is not bad, it is more likely you have an IP problem.
turn the run switch to run plug and unplug the most forward wire on the IP and see if it clicks.
If it does click then sometimes you can pop the top off of the IP and see in the linkage is stuck.
This takes a special 5 pointed torx security bit, not the normal 6 point security bit and the top cover must be re-installed correctly or you could have a runaway.
Do you have good flow to the IP?
Have you removed the return line and see if you have fuel coming out of the return fitting?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
But if you are sure the solenoid is bad (measures open with an ohm meter) than here are a couple places I found that are reasonable.

nspctr1

Thanks!! there is 24V to the solenoid/pump and it doesn't click. With the lid off of the solenoid and the wires plugged in, if you move the start switch to start, should you something move? Is this something that may be stuck or frozen that can be cleaned and reset?

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Thanks!! there is 24V to the solenoid/pump and it doesn't click. With the lid off of the solenoid and the wires plugged in, if you move the start switch to start, should you something move? Is this something that may be stuck or frozen that can be cleaned and reset?
Based on the way I understand the question...Is the cover grounded to the housing?

Needs a return circuit.

Just a little more info or picture to see what your doing 👀

Just woke up, CAMO

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use an ohm meter to measure the resistance of the coil, if you apply 24V the coil should be magnetized, if it is out you can test that with a screw driver, it should pull the piece of metal in front of the coil.
You should also see an arc when you disconnect the jumper to the coil (that reverse EMF I talked about in another thread)

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you have to ground the small ground jumper on the front left screw or it won’t work…the solenoid moves the fuel cutoff armatur, you should be able to move it yourself with almost no effort and it will spring back, absolutely any resistance and your truck will not start.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks