• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel starvation

sermis

This one had me baffled and was thinking someone thinking it was funny and was jacking with my truck. I drove it to work, well to get my work car about 3 miles. It ran just fine but it was really cold....ok 28, that's cold to me. Ran just fine. Got in it to come home and spit, sputter, cough, choke, buck, backfire......and would go about 20 mph all the way back home. I did notice some black soot on my work car so I checked fording exhaust for added water. None found. Checked filters and were clear for the most part and allowing fuel to flow. Did a carb rebuild kit and back together. Fired it up and about a mile from my house it left me walking.........only thing I didn't check was in tank pickup tube. Thin it hit me. I had replaced a leaking fuel filter/ screen at the carb. I picked one up from NAPA and not NOS. Found the issue. The civi filter screws in farther then the original and was restricting the fuel. There is a filter on the return so I put it on the fuel in a poof problem solved.

Attachments

Whiterabbit

Hey,
Why the filter on the return/overflow line?? (upper line running through firewall)
There should be an angled brass fitting on the carb for the small stock filter to screw into.(lower line to pump) Bad things happen when that filter is screwed directly into the carb without the fitting. Looks like a very old rusty small factory filter screwed in, they clog very easily. Put a new one in or gut that one and put in a big universal inline filter before it.
Are you using the stock pump? They go belly up from old age and ethanol gas. I swapped mine out for a slightly modified civi pump. Zero issues.
When was the last time you drained the tank and cleaned the intank pickup screen? These tanks being flat and shallow collect alot of condensation water fast!
Pics of the carb and pump on my '72 A2
fuel2.jpgfuel.jpgfuel1.jpg

Last edited:

sermis

I have the civi fuel pump and a large online filter before the carb. No idea why the filter on the return line. It was on there when I got it. My tank has a lot of gunk in it but it's slowly getting better with time. I tried to clean it but didn't want to go to the extreme and get it coated inside. I'm up to a about 1,000 miles before the filter clogs up. Guess I need to get the fitting for the carb.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks