• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Stop Solenoid - does it have another name?

SteveH

Hi,

Just put the ASK (and a bunch of additional soundproofing) on my MEP003a, and permanently mounted/installed my PLC...and guess what, for the first time it won't start!

I've identified the problem - it's definitely the fuel stop solenoid not operating (if I lift it manually when cranking, she starts right up - but it's not sticking as others have reported, it is totally dead).

I think it's likely I've pulled a wire off somewhere while doing all the other work, so before I pull all the ASK off again to remove the solenoid (which seems to be the only way to get to it) I wanted to check it out electrically just in case the fault was somewhere I could get to...

Looking at the electrical diagram, I can't find anything called a "fuel stop solenoid". Is this the same thing as K5 (Governor Solenoid)?.

Thanks in advance

-Steve

SteveH

That is just the way SS is, providing the old folks are awake.

:D
Just in case anyone is interested in the troubleshooting, with the info above I have managed to confirm that the solenoid itself is ok (without removing the ASK - phew!). Applying power to terminals A & C on connector J3 (the one that connects to the bottom of the airbox surrounding the inlet manifold) the solenoid works just fine; but applying it to Terminal Block TB5-9 back in the control panel nothing happens (though the start solenoid K1 works). Looks to me as if I have a wiring problem between the control panel and connector J3, or on the Ground side. I guess that will be tomorrow night's job to find....

Final update: found that I hadn't got J2 (the smaller connector on the back of the control panel) screwed in all the way; that was leaving ground to the Fuel Stop Solenoid open...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks