• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Stop Solenoid - does it have another name?

SteveH

Hi,

Just put the ASK (and a bunch of additional soundproofing) on my MEP003a, and permanently mounted/installed my PLC...and guess what, for the first time it won't start!

I've identified the problem - it's definitely the fuel stop solenoid not operating (if I lift it manually when cranking, she starts right up - but it's not sticking as others have reported, it is totally dead).

I think it's likely I've pulled a wire off somewhere while doing all the other work, so before I pull all the ASK off again to remove the solenoid (which seems to be the only way to get to it) I wanted to check it out electrically just in case the fault was somewhere I could get to...

Looking at the electrical diagram, I can't find anything called a "fuel stop solenoid". Is this the same thing as K5 (Governor Solenoid)?.

Thanks in advance

-Steve

SteveH

That is just the way SS is, providing the old folks are awake.

:D
Just in case anyone is interested in the troubleshooting, with the info above I have managed to confirm that the solenoid itself is ok (without removing the ASK - phew!). Applying power to terminals A & C on connector J3 (the one that connects to the bottom of the airbox surrounding the inlet manifold) the solenoid works just fine; but applying it to Terminal Block TB5-9 back in the control panel nothing happens (though the start solenoid K1 works). Looks to me as if I have a wiring problem between the control panel and connector J3, or on the Ground side. I guess that will be tomorrow night's job to find....

Final update: found that I hadn't got J2 (the smaller connector on the back of the control panel) screwed in all the way; that was leaving ground to the Fuel Stop Solenoid open...

Last edited: