• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Strainer Cartridge MEP002

Preacherboy

I just picked up my generator today. I have been reading a lot.

It looks like 3 fuel filters along the side of the unit, but it is my understanding only 2 of them are fuel filters and 1 is a "fuel strainer"...I see that is a FRAM 35070 from searching.

First, does anyone know where to get this part? Second, is there is a WIX number?

I did a search on WIX's website and this is what I got WIX Industrial Filters - Filter Details

does this look like the correct item? It doesn't appear to be...

Second, out of these 3 fuel filtering items are any of them water separators? Maybe it would be easier to do some spin on conversions, but if you do that would you still need this "fuel strainer cartridge"

I'd appreciate some insight on what this part's function is.

Thanks

Last edited:

steelypip

You're on the right track. The strainer is the water separator - that's why it has a drain plug. Actually, all three of the canisters have some water separation capability, but the strainer is the one that is supposed to do most of it.

Yes, there's supposed to be a steel mesh filter in there to keep 'gravel' from getting into the first fuel filter - that's why it's called a strainer, and not just a sediment bowl.

storeman

The strainer is a water filter. It is big bucks. the Wix you found doesn't look like the OEM item. I may be able to hook you up with a used one.
Jerry

Keith_J

It is an old-fashioned layered metal strainer, held in place via a nut on the threaded central bolt. Only expensive because very few were ever dirty to the point of needing replacement. Fuel had already been strained by at least two electric fuel pump strainers. It is just a top and bottom cap with alternating washers, every other one notched, made of thin metal. It is the thin layers, alternating gaps, which offer the fine straining.

DRMO seems to have had a fun time trashing every fuel filter in the past year. Because everything had to be "triple rinsed" if condition was deemed H7. Because of fear of leaks and contamination.

Preacherboy

It is probably fine, just the fuel system is full of the nasty algea and I was just going to replace it. So, the fuel strainer goes first and then the 2 fuel filters next?

If I was to convert to spin on fuel filters with the 2 different WIX bases would I still even need the strainer cartridge?

Keith_J

As long as the fuel tank is clean, a pair of Wix cartridge filters with drains is plenty. Clean the strainers on each fuel pump, they are probably nasty. You will probably need new gaskets for each. Facet-Puralator 42370,

steelypip

On an MEP-002A it's just not that big a deal to pull the tank and wash it out. Once you've done that, you have gotten rid of the source of algae/crud/whatever that will contaminate your fuel system. I found that the hard part of cleaning out my tank was getting the last few ounces of water/fuel/algae out. Eventually I just hosed it down with soapy water and let it dry in the garage for a week on its side with all the holes open.

Preacherboy

There are 2 fuel pumps? They would be on the opposite side of the engine as the fuel tank right?

Also, I plan on taking off the 3 fuel filters (strainer and the other 2) and replacing them with Wix base 24770 and 1 12 micron water separator and 1 2 micron fuel filter.

I have also done some research and I found out with some slight modifications an adapter for a Ford engine, Wix 24123 will make the oil filter a spin on! Once I get it all in and start working on it hopefully I will get some picutres.

Preacherboy

I'd sure like to know more about that spin-on mod.
Jerry
Which spin on mod, the oil or the fuel?

the fuel is super easy, just order two 24770 bases from a Wix dealer, the cheapest I've found is fleetfilter.com the old lines will screw right in without an issue, same with the primary on the m35a2. Just mark the holes and drill and bolt them on. No need to pay for some expensive kit to do that.

For the spin on oil filter you have to get a kit for an old Ford engine, Wix 24123 I believe is the number or Fram k85...you will have to grind the flange edge off for it to work, there is a guy over on smokestack some other forum that has done it. Of course the gasket that comes with the kit won't work, but if you use Ultra black gasketp maker it should work fine. I'd rather try to make a $20 part work with a little bit of work than spring for the $125 part...although it is nice (I haven't seen if for sale lately though.)

storeman

Thanks Grega. I'll check it out.

Thanks a lot to Keith also. BTW Keith, you may recall I was having trouble pulling fans. I got the 2 bolt puller from NAPA that you mentioned. Pulled 2 off with no problem. The 3rd I pulled the threads out even with Break Free and a hammer. Wound up re-tapping the holes to 3/8 fine thread to finally get it off. The fourth was a real bugger. Just got it off about 30 minutes ago. Went successively through 3/8, 7/16th and finally to 1/2x13 to get it to budge. All the smaller ones just pulled the threads out. Had to use a 9/16 end mill on the puller bar to allow access with the 1/2" bolts. tricky end milling with a drill press. Whew! Happy man.

Jerry :beer::beer::beer:

fordgasmz

I've got a bunch of the OEM strainers for the 002A and 003A new in the box still bubble wrapped and vacuum sealed in the mil spec bags. I can get you one shipped to your door for 25. I'm selling them on auction for 25 plus shipping. PM me if you're interested.

PN 1752002-01
NSN 2910-00-374-6020

Dylan

Preacherboy

I've got a bunch of the OEM strainers for the 002A and 003A new in the box still bubble wrapped and vacuum sealed in the mil spec bags. I can get you one shipped to your door for 25. I'm selling them on auction for 25 plus shipping. PM me if you're interested.

PN 1752002-01
NSN 2910-00-374-6020

Dylan
I just have to ask, the 3 fuel filters in a row on the MEP which one is the fuel strainer? I am considering purchasing one from you, but if I go to 2 modern spin on filters would I still need the fuel strainer?

No one has really confirmed what the fuel strainer actually does...

Preacherboy

Found the topic over at Smokestack, very interesting.Spin on oil filter for my MEP-002A - SmokStak

I just got the k-85 kit (Fram's part number) from the cheapest guy off ebay.

I looks just like what the guy had in the picture on this other forum (where I got the idea from). Although after I grind the edge off of it and check it for fitment I will probably sandblast the part and paint it...the guy in the smokstak thread didn't show or suggest that. Some of the outside edge would definately be showing and would definately rust.

Preacherboy

there is a fuel strainer advertised on ebay if you are interested
Yes, it is the guy from post #16.

He PM'd me, I think if you contact him through SS you get free shipping, but off ebay there would be a charge.

I am thinking if I go to a spin on filter and water separator which will be 6 micron and 2 micron that will probably be substantially better filtering than the original. There is probably no reason (at least no one has been able to seem to give me one) to have the fuel strainer in there first. The water separator has a drain on it as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks