• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuel system issues.

toyrunner95

UPDATE!!!! well here is what is going on currently, any help would be appreciated. I replaced both head gaskets, all the fuel return lines, the coolant temp sensor (I broke it taking out the head) I now have everything back together and got it to start, im back to the same problem if not a worse problem. NOW it idles really rough, when I rev it up it still misses and wont go away like it used to. I checked the fuel routing from the injector pump and everything there is ok, I checked for tightness on the fittings and that's good, I found a leak on the IP and tightened it, which helped. here is the odd part. all of the smoky, blue, black exhaust is coming from the drivers side exhaust. the passenger side is clean. or as clean as it should be. I have loosened all the injector lines on both sides and found it to run slightly rougher when I do so on each one. meaning its getting fuel. WHY IS IT RUNNING ROUGH! everything is still in time. I didn't mess with the supply line to the pump, I didn't remove the pump, all the lifters and rockers are good, I cant figure out what is going on! HELP!!! on a side note, which way should the thermostat face? there was a not on it saying front toward radiator. but I want to be sure. don't say spring in or out, because I cant see the spring.

Last edited:

phil2968

Get a compression tester and verify good compression on all cylinders. Without a test of compression you just don't know what is going on in the cylinder.

Skinny

I agree with verifying compression bit it doesn't make sense that the engine stumbles worse when you individually open the injector lines. This indicates each cylinder is contributing power. Very weird! If you have gone through compression tests and are positive the fuel delivery is good, I would yank the IP and send it out for testing.

toyrunner95

Well after consulting the guys at work and fiddling with it tonight, I think I have a clogged injector or two. I didn't cap them when I pulled the heads off and cleaned the old gasket crap off. From what I can tell the #3 and #7 are worse than #1 and #5. Since its one side and not both sides it kinda rules out the IP. However this is all just a hunch. I'm still open to the possibility of the IP being bad but I want to rule everything else out before I yank it. I have a really good shop nearby that i can go to.

skinny: I'm super jealous of your truck I like the service body. Do you have any other pics? a build page?

Skinny

Try swapping injectors side to side to see if the problem follows to the other engine bank if you have the time. My rule of thumb is at this point I would drop the coin to rebuild the IP and get new injectors just for piece of mind but that could run up in the $800+ range.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm jealous of your camper...I'm looking for a new place to live!

My M1031 threads:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...t-CUCV-M1031-My-first-SS-post&highlight=M1031

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?86475-M1031-build-thread&highlight=M1031

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ver-Hitch-install-on-my-M1031&highlight=M1031

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...e-heaters-and-aux-accessories&highlight=M1031

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ury-backup-cam-and-cupholders&highlight=M1031

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?94019-Trip-up-Mt-Washington&highlight=M1031

toyrunner95

OK I am officially pissed off and frustrated! i had to wait 2 weeks for enough money to buy the **** injector tool. Then i had to wait over a week for it to get here. i got it yesterday and greedily yanked out the injectors, took them to work, bench tested them and i was right i had one leaking down and another that was completely clogged. I got off work early and went to my diesel guys, dropped $100 on 2 new injectors just to try and get it running, put them in connected everything, got it all ready and cranked it, it kicked right off but STILL misses. it runs better! but not by much. i really don't want to pull the injector pump and spend $1000 on a rebuild and have that not be the problem. what i need is help. i need a second opinion that is more educated than me. the IP was working fine when i pulled the heads off so how would it randomly go bad when it hasn't been running. i can do the compression test but i don,t see any evidence of bad compression. there are no leaks around the heads and no fluids leaking out of the engine. I,m stumped.

Here are the symptoms
it pours blue black exhaust out of the drivers side.
it shakes like a dog passing peach seeds
wont idle without a little feathering

all that screams a dead hole. but i cant find it!

Last edited:

toyrunner95

UPDATE!!!

ok after another month of trying to figure it out, I took it apart again. the miss was caused by a bent pushrod. SO with that mystery solved, im going to take another crack at this. I guess I didn't seat the pushrod very well when I installed it. oops. but anyway. I solved my fuel issues. I had a leaking injector. so tonight im going to take off the other head because its leaking because a bolt didn't get tightened. UGGGG!!! im gonna slate this thing if its the last thing I do!!!!

toyrunner95

ok so another update.

IT RUNS!!!!!! it runs pretty good compared to the last time i started it. i had the heads gone through, they checked out fine. I put new push rods and head bolts in it. I put new injectors in it. now when i start it it kicks right off like it used to! but its getting air somewhere. it smokes pretty bad out of the drivers side. i cant really figure out why. it also runs a little rough. im fairly certain its a fuel air issue. but after 5 months of screwing with it and breaking my back i finally have it to a point where i can drive it again and get it to a shop for the transmission.

hopefully next week i can get it into the shop and have them figure out a few things. 1. the transmission started leaking. so that needs to be addressed. 2. the oil pan needs to be re-sealed. 3. the fuel air issue.

Im just happy to have it running better then it was before and no head gasket leaks!

toyrunner95

Well after much deliberating and months of work and some unexpected circumstances I am forced to sell.... I worked really hard on it and I hate to do it but I have to.

Here's how it sits. It runs great. I got all the parts put back in it and got the exhaust and trans all sealed up and it runs like a dream. Hard to start but once it gets going it purrs like a kitten. It has almost an entirely new fuel system. If you are interested in it please e mail me for the details.
joepierce83@hotmail.com

Apparently I can't post a classified without paying so get ahold of me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks