• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Tank Connector Question.

Dasgog

Hello people.

I just took out my old tank on my 72 M35A2 and have the new tank ready go with New sending unit , pump and hoses etc but I’ve come across a snag. Whether or not it’s good practice to use the same connector, I have damaged it trying to to remove it realizing it was welded on.
I believe it is the hose connector to tank for the return fuel?
Anyone where where I can get one or what it’s called if I were to research it? Here’s the old one...

Attachments

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, not welded on. You can grab the flat sides with a wrench and gently (or not so gently) work it loose and then screw it out.
It is pipe thread on one side and tube on the other. 3/8 if I am not mistaken (but no guarantees!).
It is unlikely - but possible - that you can match something up at a big box store.
Probably easier in a hydraulic shop.

For next time:
1) Locate the "parts" manual TM 9-2320-361 -20P, for example
2) Locate the "fuel system" schematic

3) Identify the part (#14)
4) Look up the info in the table: 14 PAOZZ 21450 137423 ELBOW,PIPE TO TUBE

5) Take the part number 137423 and google "NSN lookup"
6) Go to one of the web sites and enter the pasrt number....it should provide you with a NSN number and a description of the part. The NSN for the elbow is
4730-00-277-8274. Found here: https://www.iso-group.com/NSN/4730-00-277-8274

You can now google the NSN number or, for many parts, read the technical description and be better informed when you head out and try to match a part somewhere else.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dasgog

No, not welded on. You can grab the flat sides with a wrench and gently (or not so gently) work it loose and then screw it out. I do not remember offhand the threads on it but bring it to the hardware store and see if you can match something up. It is not a "special" part.
Well with the same force I used with taking off everything else I also used with this and I tell you this, the metal melted and smeared and like tore... It did not budge but the little nipple or whatever it is is stuck and now damaged so I really am unable to bring in the old one and get it sized 8(.

Dasgog

Awesome! I got that all taken care of.

One more question... I replaced tank, fuel lines, 3 fuel filter jatonka conversion, fuel pump and sending unit.
There was major rust in the tank, it was bad.
Now that I’m nearly done putting it all back is there an additive or what not I can put in fuel tank with my first turn up for the rust within the engine, if any I assume?