• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuel tank patching

MikeHaugen

So as an update, gmg must have gotten in a few. I ordered a new bare tank and I'm pretty sure I got the last one. I have too many other projects going on right now to take the time it would take to repair correctly.

A little off topic, but I have another question... I plan to set up an auxiliary tank at some point. If the auxiliary tank runs out, the pump will run dry, will that hurt the pump?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Scoobyshep

So as an update, gmg must have gotten in a few. I ordered a new bare tank and I'm pretty sure I got the last one. I have too many other projects going on right now to take the time it would take to repair correctly.

A little off topic, but I have another question... I plan to set up an auxiliary tank at some point. If the auxiliary tank runs out, the pump will run dry, will that hurt the pump?

It depends on the pump some will be damaged while others dont care.

Chainbreaker

...A little off topic, but I have another question... I plan to set up an auxiliary tank at some point. If the auxiliary tank runs out, the pump will run dry, will that hurt the pump?
Not sure, but remember that the genset is only going to call for Aux Fuel when the Day Tank is down to 1/4 full. So eventually if the Aux tank becomes empty the generator will shut down after it runs out of fuel. That may be a bigger issue in itself if it is carrying an electrical load, such as when connected to house, and it suddenly dies due to no fuel situation.

I would insure that your aux tank is large enough and always has enough fuel that it will have adequate fuel between fuel level checks...overnight as may be the case. If aux tank or day tank is low beforehand then always having an extra Jerry Can or 2 of fuel on hand is handy so you can top up the day tank or add to aux tank between fuel ck periods until you can restock your fuel.

Some people have a treated 55 gal drum(s) of diesel, or more, as a backup-to-the-backup fuel plan or other diesel vehicles/equip to draw fuel from.

How much fuel you keep on hand really depends on your anticipated power outage situation. If your typically in the path of potential power outage events then a fuel stocking & fuel rotation plan becomes critical.

MikeHaugen

I was given a 15 gallon compessor that had a bad pump, but the tank seems to be in pretty good shape. I plan to clean that tank out and maybe coat the inside to use for aux tank. Should give me approximately 20 or so gallons. I really just want to be sure to be able to run 24 hrs because I work nights and I'd like to not have to have the wife go out and fill the generator in the middle of the night. I haven't really put this thing to the test, but I think that should be plenty to get at least 24 hrs

Guyfang

Staff member
Are you are talking about a standard military electric fuel pump? If so, no, running long time periods dry, will not harm it. I have often found gen sets that ran out of fuel, and the low fuel switch cuts off the power to the IP, like it is supposed to. BUT, cutting off the power to the IP, only does that. The fuel pumps will continue to run, until you shut the start switch off, or the battery's go flat. I have found some that ran 6-10 hours, and there was no damage to them at all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks