• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel tank pics wanted

Ford Mechanic

Guys would you mind posting some pics of the fuel tanks in your 5 tons, listing what it's out of and how many gallons? I've been trying to find some pics to no avail with search. What I'm trying to do is make a easily removable aux. fuel tank to go in the bed of my M35A2 to haul waste oil fuel with me on long trips this summer. My parts supplier said he had a couple from a 5 ton with the older cummins that didn't use a electric pump he thought it was 70 gal, but I don't know what it looks like or how easy it would be to adapt to my need? I've also asked some one here in the classifieds about one also. Just trying to get the best tank for my purpose, ideas would be appreciated. I don't want to mount it permanently, just be able to strap it or pin it in the bed. And I was planning on hopfully being able to just gravity feed it into my main tank when needed, but I can come up with something else if it won't work.

Thanks guys

Mike

Reckless

I would recommend using the existing fuel pump in that spare tank to pump the fuel into your primary tank. I am adding dual tanks to my deuce and am doing exactly that. I am using a fuel selector dash switch from a 5 ton tractor to cut the pump on and pump the fuel to keep a factory look.

Ford Mechanic

I am adding this one to my truck it is between 70-80 gallons and will just gravity feed to the main tanks..

View attachment 413232
link to build thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...31A2-quot-Miss-Ava-Lynn-quot-Mods-and-Repairs
That's the same type of thing I'm trying to do to mine. I checked out your build thread and that's a good looking truck! What did that tank come out of? I want tot do the same thing as far as draining the tank with ball valves. Haul 100% WMO in the tank, stop at a gas station put 15 gal of gas into my main tank, and fill it the rest of the way out of the 100% WMO tank in the bed. I'll only need it about 4 times a year, so then it will be quick and easy to remove. That one would also fit nice beside the tool box I have mounted in the bed. I might have to see about one of those spare tire rigs eventualy also for the other side.
DSCF4028.jpg

Kasper31

I'm adding an additional tank to my bobbed Deuce on the drivers side, I plan on using the tank pump to pump fuel to the tank on the rt. side to keep the fuel system as normal. I'll put a timer on the reserve tank pump with a on / off switch on the dash. I'll have a total of 90 - 100 gal.

rtbcoop

Instead of a timer, I'd suggest using float switches. Pick two up off ebay for cheap and put one in each tank. The switch in the primary tank goes on top so that the transfer pump shuts off if you are about to overflow your tank. The switch in the secondary tank (the tank you actually fill) goes on the bottom so that the transfer pump shuts off when the fuel in that tank is low. This keeps you from running your pump on an empty tank and burning out the motor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks