• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Tank Pump

halftrack

Anyone knows who sells the in tank electric fuel pump for a decent price? I have seen prices as high as $500, that seems a little high to me.

FSBruva

Define decent?

Most retail places will charge 200 for a good take out. Awhile back someone on this site posted some info about buying just the pump part from the original manufacturer as a group buy (they still make the pump for the military), and would charge $250 for it. Memphis offers a re-built (hard to do on a hermetically sealed motor) pump for $450 bucks, but it is under a one year warantee. Other members have had good luck finding them in junkyards, paying $75 apiece for a working take out.

The main thing to check before shelling out a chunk of cash is the fuse, and double check that your ground and power are good to the pump, and that the pump's leads are all properly connected. Standby... this topic has been discussed before, I just can't remember which PS article it is. I will go find it and edit my post.

Matt

EDIT:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....pump_fuse&name=gallery&include=view_photo.php
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....pump_fuse&name=gallery&include=view_photo.php

CGarbee

There was also a discussion once about using a Facet 24volt pump of the correct size plumbed into the fuel line between the tank and the first filter if you did not mind having the truck "non-original". It was a less expensive option for a new pump, but it did require some reworking of the fuel line (cut, install a couple fittings, flare...).

A search should bring it up. I'll look for the thread...

acetomatoco

You can use the pump from any of the heater kits or the transfer pump from a 5 ton to do the job also...any 24V inline pump will work...or 2 12V ones in series.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just for information, my son and I have put our in-tank pumps on a switch. We turn it on to be sure we have fuel available to start the truck, but shut it off after starting. The trucks run fine without it running. We have the injection pumps turned up, and there is no fuel supply problem with the in-tank pump off even at full power. We also turn it on for fuel filter air bleeding and water draining.
This contributes greatly to the life of the pump.
Farm tractors do not have an in-tank pump. They rely on the transfer pump on the injection pump to lift the fuel, so this is not a new concept. Fuel draws freely through the in-tank pump on these trucks when the pump is not running.
Regards Marti

SasquatchSanta

Upon returning home after spending three weeks in Georgia I decided to build a fire in Rosie (see attached picture).

Within three hours of plugging in two block heaters, two oil pan heaters, the battery heaters and the trickle charger AND with the help of one shot of "Motion Lotion" (ether) I had all 6 cylingers fireing. I love the pre-lube system --- being able to crank up a cold engine with full oil pressure.

Given that I'm using a wig-wag and therefore no longer have to contend with the noise of a low air buzzer I was able to notice that there was no familiar in-tank fuel pump noise when I turned on the switch. Against my better judgment I went ahead and started the engine. It ran fine for 6 or 7 minutes then shuttered and died. I didn't attempt a restart.

I put in a new fuse in the in-tank pump and watched it blow in front of my eyes. Obviously the in-tank pump has gone south. John Tennis, wise old sage that he is, suggested over a year ago that I consider getting a spare pump. I should have listened to him. The good news is that it happened in my driveway and not out somewhere on the laurentian divide at 3:AM and 30 below. I could have easily been in for a several hundred dollar tow bill

I've read through several SS threads on the in-tank pump tonight and though I don't doubt that some are able to get away with not running the in-tank pump, I think that with some engines they are an absolute requirement. I can't imagine any other reason my engine would have shuttered and died the way it did.

My fuel tank is full and my driveway is on a slight slope with the engine approximately 3 to 4 inches lower than the tank. I think the pumps are needed.

I think I'm going to rattle D-Man's cage and purchase his pump kit. And Oh Yes --- I'm going to also purchase a spare pump. I may be a slow learner but from now on when J.T. suggests I do something I'm going to listen. :)

Attachments

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those pumps!! AHHH! Always going to be an issue with me, and always an issue here at SS!

I've gotten two through TNJ Murray w/o much headache. Yes, they do cost at bit. All I have to say at this point is... When this one fails, (Humph! Funny! I just automatically typed, "When"), anyway, I'll be installing the in-line pump. I'm just a little concerned about how that pump, (the in-line), will stay primed or how it initiates pick-up when it first starts if it isn't primed.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
All that is required out of the fuel tank pump is 5-7 psi. Use one of the cheaper pumps and you will be fine.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M543A2 said:
Just for information, my son and I have put our in-tank pumps on a switch. We turn it on to be sure we have fuel available to start the truck, but shut it off after starting. The trucks run fine without it running. We have the injection pumps turned up, and there is no fuel supply problem with the in-tank pump off even at full power. We also turn it on for fuel filter air bleeding and water draining.
This contributes greatly to the life of the pump.
Farm tractors do not have an in-tank pump. They rely on the transfer pump on the injection pump to lift the fuel, so this is not a new concept. Fuel draws freely through the in-tank pump on these trucks when the pump is not running.
Regards Marti
I've worked on a lot of farm tractors. Every one I've ever seen that didn't have a pump the tank was mounted above the injector pump (gravity flow). The rest have had manual pumps driven off a cam lobe.

davemccoull

fuel tank pump

Mine packed up about a year ago, and as they are very hard to come by in U.K.. I opened mine up and managed to repair it ( brushes u.s.), it,s a very fiddly job, it,s like doing brain surgery, using fine sodering iron and tweezers. then you,ve got to hold the brushes back to reassemble it. it can be done with a lot of patience.
Best of luck
Dave.

SasquatchSanta

RE: fuel tank pump

We finally had an above zero day so this afternoon I decided to install the in-line fuel pump that I ordered from OD Iron a few weeks ago.

The installation was quick and easy. Simply remove 6-3/4" of fuel line between the tank outlet and the frame and install the pump. D-Man supplies all the fittings in the kit so even in 20 degree weather all went well. The most dificult part of the whole process was trying to strip the electrical tape trom the wires in the cold weather.

I'm glad I went this route. I wasn't looking forward to having to pull the old pump with the truck setting outside in the elements.

I don't think I needed to but I cracked the valves on the filters to make sure they were getting juice. I didn't attempt to start the engine because the block and oil heaterss hadn't been plugged in. I don't like to start it on a cold block and I don't like running the pre-lube pump when the oil is cold. After about 4 hours of 2,000 watts plugged in she should fire right up. I let the pump run a long time and could see fuel circulating in the line from the pump to the secondary filters.

In a few days we are going to pull it into the shop where it will be easier (more pleasant) to finalize the wirring and take some pictures.

??? I wonder if having to suck fuel through the old in-tank pump puts any undue stress on the new pump and therefore if it would be advisbale to remove the in-tank pump?

Pictures to follow.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: fuel tank pump

I was wondering the same thing. Were you thinking about using the same hanger inside the tank with a hose held in the same position for fuel pick-up? Maybe with a strainer on the pick-up end?

I think Mike (devilman96) told me that there's no problem leaving the old in-tank where it is. I'm sure he's right. But I thought that pulling it would cut down on one more item corroding inside the tank. I don't know. Six-and-a-half dozen of the other.

Looking forward to the pics.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris,

How' you go about getting that in-tank pump out of the shop-van deuce? I know it wouldn't clear the box by just lifting straight up. I take it, you had to lower the tank?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks