• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel tank questions on a MEP-003a gen

reybo

Hiya Hiya,

Been more than a year since I came by to talk. My 1990 mep-003A has been running like it should, and re-filling its tank semi-automatically from a 1000 gallon underground diesel tank. My wife needs oxygen 24/7, I need it at night, and we're feeling secure now, grid or no grid.

Last year the 12.5 gallon on-board tank began to drip from a hole in the bottom, probably a rust hole. I have an NOS replacement tank arriving next week, bare, and will re-use the 6 fittings. Treatment with WD-40 over several days was enough to allow the threads on those fittings to free-up, and they are ready for the new tank.

I'd like to replace the large filler tube and its bottom filter, as mine has patches of rust, but no one seems to have these to sell. The alternative is to coat the tube inside and out with a permanent paint impervious to modern diesel fuel. Has anyone done this? Any pointers?

I also like to replace the fuel gauge but there are none of those around either, at least not on ebay.

Hope everyone is enjoying the summer. Here in Virginia the fish are jumpin' and the cotton is high.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Go to ebay and type this number into the search bar:

Thats the cheapest I could find, looks new too.

Isaac-1

I am glad to see it is still working well for you. Can't help much on the questions, there was a thread here a year or two ago on the fuel gauge, someone found the company that made them, and if I recall correctly found out they were a custom production item and no longer available. Also I think the company was willing to make more, but the price was prohibitively high.

Ike

reybo

I am glad to see it is still working well for you. Can't help much on the questions, there was a thread here a year or two ago on the fuel gauge, someone found the company that made them, and if I recall correctly found out they were a custom production item and no longer available. Also I think the company was willing to make more, but the price was prohibitively high.

Ike
Hey, Ike. Glad you're still here.

06H70893 is the number stamped into the fuel gauge. That's on the top on the side of the nut. Mine has been ok but I see there's a free-moving bar in the middle that's supposed to be fixed to the frame at the bottom and free to spin. A piece of large paperclip fixed that.

jamawieb

For your fuel gauge, call Delks Army Navy Surplus (336) 629-0991. Ask for William, he sells new replacements for around $65.

reybo

For your fuel gauge, call Delks Army Navy Surplus (336) 629-0991. Ask for William, he sells new replacements for around $65.
Thanks. I know Delks. We stopped by there on a road trip a few years back because the spread of things visible from the road made it impossible to ignore. I'll contact William.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks