• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel tank sealer?

Westex

Anybody tried any fuel tank sealers with results they would care to share? I'm thinking seriously about a product from KBS coatings. I called them today and they say their sealant is impervious to everything including methanol, and more importantly biodiesel. There is simply too much crud floating around in my tank and I'm dropping it out today and then off to the radiator shop for a thorough cleaning after pulling the in tank pump.

Bill W

I did my land rover and M-38 "gas" tanks with hirsch tank sealer -Hirsch Automotive Products and was happy with the results and gas is more aggresive to coatings then diesel fuel. Also check around your area as there are radiators shops that will not only boil your tank but will coat it as well

HillsAndHollows

I did my M35 tank about 3 months ago with the KBS product and it turned out great. Only time will tell how it holds up. I did use something like their product from Eastwood Company on a Dodge Charger 14 years ago and it still looks like the day we put it on. Just my 2 cents worth....

poppop

I have used something called kreme on some antique tractor tanks and has not failed yet. The trick is to be sure it is absolutly clean first so after the boiling you should be in good shape.

benni72

i have used POR-15 countless times on many gas n fuel tanks. works like a charm and easy to use. the key is take your time, don't rush, and make sure tank is super clean before you seal it. good luck

randyscycle

Dealing with a lot of fouled tanks (I run a restoration shop) I have tried lots of products. As it stands right now, I exclusively use Caswell's fuel tank sealer. It isn't cheap, but it is the only thing that stays put with today's fuel.

Like mentioned above, surface prep is the most important part, so whatever you choose, be sure to follow the instructions to the letter. Any loose material on the inside of the tank and almost any sealer will come off in time.

Also, the addition of ethanol to MOGAS in the last few years has been the bane of almost all tank sealing chemicals. Especially Kreem. I wouldn't use it on anything.

If you are sealing a diesel tank, the above won't apply, but I still wouldn't use Kreem.

shepsjeep

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took my M715 tank in for a cleaning and seal and they used RED COAT. They have always used it and said none have ever come back.

Westex

OK guys; this is what I needed. Thanks very much for the input on this. Leaning toward KBS after reading all of this. Will report back after the event. Over......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks