• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Tank Shield Cap Screws

niferous

Hey all! I've been out of the loop for a while and I'm still not completely back in. I'm closing on a house next Friday, graduating from my Masters program at Texas A&M in less than a month, and I'm getting married on May 28th. Sooooo I've been busy with all that plus the full time corporate HQ job.

Anyway I'm putting the fuel tank back on my M1009 after having had it off for a while to replace the sending unit. The tank is on there and looking good but I can't find the dang cap screws for the fuel tank shield. I looked in the -20P and found the numbers: CAGEC 96906 and MS90728-59. However I'm not really sure what to make of these. I went to Home Depot to see if they were just some everyday standard or metric cap screws but the don't seem to be.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Stihl029

hmm I tried to copy the info and paste it from a source so here it is
Thread Class 2A
Thread Direction Right-hand
Thread Length .813" minimum and .875" Maximum
Fastener Length .813" Minimum and .875" Maximum
Head Style C1 hexagon
Head Height .226" Minimum and .243" Maximum
Width between flats .5510" Minimum and .5625" Maximum
Nomimal Thread diameter .375"
Thread Quantity per inch 16
Minimum Tensile Strength 11600 pounds per square inch
Hardness Rating 33.0 rockwell C minimum overall and 39.0 rockwell C maximum overall
Minimum Yield Strength 120000 pounds per square inch
Material Steel Overall
Material Document and Classification SAEJ429 Grade 8 ASSN STD Single material response overall or ASTM A354 Grade BD ASSN STD single material response overall
Surface Treatment Zince overall and Chromate overall
Surface Treatment Document and Classification ASTM B633 TY 2 SC 3 STD single treatment response overall
Thread Series Designator UNC

Um so after all that it is grade 8 3/8-16 X 7/8"

yetti96

Yep, I read a grade 8 bolt that is 3/8"-16 x 7/8" long. Pretty simple and no need for the McMacter-Carr description. But at least you have all of the info needed and then some, way then some.

niferous

Thanks for the info! Mind telling me where you got the info and which number I use so I can get a bolt size next time I need it? Thanks!:-D

Stihl029

I used a resource but you can find the same information on www.nsn-now.com
I used the MS90728-59 you had posted on another resources very similar to the site I mentioned but they provide the same information.