• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel tank sleeve

Kharville

Anyone know what the purpose of the sleeve that is inserted into the Deuce fuel tank is for? The only thing I see is that the fuel cap is attached to it. Other than gathering rust perhaps?

winfred

it helps keep bats and puppies out of the tank, with modern pump fuel can probably pull it out if it offends you, its a little annoying when using truck pumps as it collects the foam and slows down filling, id leave it in to control slosh in case the cap seal is weak with age

Kharville

There is a fine mesh copper alloy screen at the bottom. It does serve a few purposes.
So far, I have found nothing that came with the truck being not necessary.
I don't see that it would corrode, patina maybe, as it is copper alloy.
The neck with screen is readily available.

View attachment 707473

View attachment 707474

View attachment 707475
I will have to upload a pic. It has no screen and is definitely a rusty, corroded pipe. It had so much I barely got it out. Of course a bunch fell into the tank.

tommys2patrick

If your in a combat zone somewhere and filling your gas tank with 5 gallon cans that have been sitting behind the fender or in a quarry, mud, sand, severed body parts, shrapnel, lit cigarette etc etc the military prolly thought a little sifting of foreign matter might keep things working longer. needless to say, checking the screen from time to time and a little PM is likely in order.

jbayer

There is a fine mesh copper alloy screen at the bottom. It does serve a few purposes.
So far, I have found nothing that came with the truck being not necessary.
I don't see that it would corrode, patina maybe, as it is copper alloy.
The neck with screen is readily available.
I have found none available, let alone any readily available.
To clarify, I have found no new/NOS ones available. Have found old rusty ones available.

Last edited:

jasonjc

If you lift it up and turn a little, it locks in the up position and makes filling from a can a lot easier. I'd bet that is the main reason for it, filling from 5 gal cans. If you ever watched any of the old WWII films most of the time they used 5 gal cans for filling.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have found none available, let alone any readily available.
To clarify, I have found no new/NOS ones available. Have found old rusty ones available.
Perhaps the nomenclature on the PDF with my notes that I posted would help with the part number and the NSN. PM me and I will show you where it is.
No posting of ongoing sales or auctions in SS.
One could search, if they wanted, like in google, for military filler neck and fuel tank sleeve and one may find what one seeks.
I usually answer PM's, or call Eastern Surplus.

m715

If you lift it up and turn a little, it locks in the up position and makes filling from a can a lot easier. I'd bet that is the main reason for it, filling from 5 gal cans. If you ever watched any of the old WWII films most of the time they used 5 gal cans for filling.
-----I think you are right jaysonjc, many times I have done just as you said. Way less spill if you have a fuel can and no spout.

winfred

tried lifting it and locking it in the upper position and filling it at the truck stop went a little faster, still foamed up if i tried more then the first notch but burped less then normal

snowtrac nome

If I had to guess might also be for static discharge when mogas or aviation products are used. I know mc 406 bulk tanks have a wire extending top to bottom for that reason.

Kharville

So this little endeavor has turned out to be quite educational on my part. To recap, I was only planning on finding out why the fuel gauge was intermittent. I figured the sender was stuck or bad, etc. Once I saw that only two bolts held the bands to take off the tank I decided to drain the tank first and remove it for easy access to the pump and sender. The next week of activities is where the education began.

Upon removal the plug to drain the tank, no fuel came out. Turns out the sludge was so thick it was blocking the drain port. After poking up into it and draining the tank I was ready to take it off. I seriously though that maybe that was thread sealer or something blocking the hole. What I discovered upon removing the sender and pump was enlightening. (A few inches of brown pancake batter). As I had already started this thread to discuss the sleeve corrosion and sludge, the other components were worse.

Everything is clean and back together now but if anyone is interested in "how to clean your tank in 1 week for less than $100", let me know and I'll try to put all the details together in one concise chunk.:) There were no gradual photos but I can definitely upload one of the tank as is now. You can see the "shiny" on the bottom again.:naner:

Kharville

it helps keep bats and puppies out of the tank, with modern pump fuel can probably pull it out if it offends you, its a little annoying when using truck pumps as it collects the foam and slows down filling, id leave it in to control slosh in case the cap seal is weak with age
By the way, I did not find any bats and puppies but I did find the remainder of the mesh screen and two tree branches about a foot long!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks