• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel tank

WYomer

M923A2

Questions.

So filling fuel is a pain in work clothes due to splash back from the metal screen in the tank. Since I have a locking tank cap and am using on road quality fuel do I need this for any reason? I read a post about heating it and it unscrews, will my locking cap still fit?

After getting the truck and a few tanks of fuel run through it I changed my fuel filter and got better performance right off the bat. Now about two tanks later I'm back where I'm feeling it bog down a bit and it takes a bit to really spin the turbo, but once its spun up its fine. So I want to run the truck low and drain the tank to see what may or may not be in the bottom of the tank. I know it has baffles and there was a inner tank coating that has really messed up some folks so I want to cover my bases.

That fill screen has to come out to get in there and wipe off the baffles. Anything I should be ready for? Can I use some acitone or something in there to flush out the crud after I drain the tank? Being stainless can I pressure wash it out?

I want to turn up my fuel pump a bit and put EGT gauges in but I want to do this first to create a good baseline before tweaking from stock.

Thanks!

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just use a strap wrench to get them off. When i fuel up I use a paper towel to cover the hole a round the nozzle.

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know if my truck (1990 BMY M923A2) has something different about its tank than yours, but when I had it off the truck last weekend I could not see any baffles in it. There did not appear to be any coating (intentional or otherwise) on the inside, either. The drain boss on the bottom protruded up into the tank ever so slightly so if yours is like mine anything you pour into it would leave a little in there unless you turned the tank completely upside down to drain it out the fill neck.

I tried a while back to remove the fill screen and couldn't get it loose with a strap wrench so I gave up. Can't help you there, sorry.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Pipe wrench. I just cleaned a tank a few weeks ago to add to my truck and I got a deal on vinegar at Costco I think it was 10gallons for $10. I filled it up and let it sit for a few days and it loosened the crud up enough for me to use the hose to flush the crap out the drain. I always use a whole bottle of 911 when I fill a tank up after cleaning it to help with what little water was left.

It should be just a flat bottomed tank.

I do have a truck without a screen on it and the fuel cap does tend to get loose from time to time. It is up to you. I always take my screen out when I fuel up anyways. Mine is just hand tight to get off with a rag around it. Put the nozzle all the way in and upside down in the tank.

m109a2

Hey simp5782 my father always said the only stupid question is the one you do not ask that being said what is 911.Is it some sort of water displacer.Al

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks