• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel transfer tank

Oldsouthernboy

I just bought a very nice M1028, I plan on making this a desert trip rig. I know the 20 gallon tank is a draw back. I plan on adding a 100 gallon fuel transfer tank in the bed. The question I have will that tank when full of fuel, cause any problems while driving off road, IE fuel running to the low side while on a side slope changing the center of gravity? I will be also adding a safari rack for light things like tentage and tarps, support systems. I plan on a ORD 6 inch lift with cross over steering and hydo assist steering, on Hummer wheels.

Sasquatch

Not sure about offroading with a fuel tank, I'd check how those tanks are vented too, don't want to be spilling fuel out a vent on a side slope. You may be able to add a stock second tank underneath the truck that would keep your center of gravity lower. You can also get 15 or 30 gallon poly fuel containers, small enough too handle, easy to strap down. Fuel tanks nice because it's always there but poly containers you can take out easier if you want to haul something bigger in the bed.

I'm trying to decide between poly drum and a fuel tank set up for my rig. I keep it chained up all winter and don't want to drop the chains every time I need to fill up, but I'd drop them if I could haul back 100 gallons.

DokWatson

Its easier to carry two 55 gallon drums of fuel, which is what me and my buddies do. They sell plastic ones at most sporting goods stores. You can get hand crank pumps for the drums as well, very useful.

My M1028 only has one 16 gallon side saddle tank. I plan on putting a 40 gallon suburban tank in it, which is another easier and cheaper upgrade.

Last edited:

OL AG '89

You need to also consider the extra weight of 100 gals of fuel gas weight 8lbs a gallon, not sure if diesel is heavier or not, but you potential add 800lbs of "moving" weight on the truck. If you catch a hard side slop the fuel slosshing might be enough to roll you. Going up and downhill would be another concern. I'm curious if would just transport out to area and use as a refueling point. 100 gals of fuel would give you an additional 1500 miles of range? What would need another 1500 miles of range for? are you supplying fuel for everyone out playing?
I added a 50gal tank, in addition to 34gal stock tank to my3500. I can get right at 1000 miles before I need to refuel. thats about 2 weeks of driving to work and back.

DokWatson

You need to also consider the extra weight of 100 gals of fuel gas weight 8lbs a gallon, not sure if diesel is heavier or not, but you potential add 800lbs of "moving" weight on the truck. If you catch a hard side slop the fuel slosshing might be enough to roll you. Going up and downhill would be another concern. I'm curious if would just transport out to area and use as a refueling point. 100 gals of fuel would give you an additional 1500 miles of range? What would need another 1500 miles of range for? are you supplying fuel for everyone out playing?
I added a 50gal tank, in addition to 34gal stock tank to my3500. I can get right at 1000 miles before I need to refuel. thats about 2 weeks of driving to work and back.
You do realize that mileage drops off-road right? Especially with large tires in 4 wheel drive. And even more so in 4 low. All that on top of rough terrain, he not driving on the highway. 800 miles on the odometer doesn't mean a whole lot. 100 gallons of fuel is good for about 800 miles. Some people actually wheel that much.

Darwin T

you may can get 2 smaller tanks and mount them side by side behind the cab so that if it does shift the one on the uphill side is still over the center of gravity, or go with a lower tank that does not set as high but is wider to keep the center of gravity down low? :idea:

OL AG '89

o.k. so new math says 800 miles...... I'll go with that, but 800 miles without a fuelpoint in a weekend.
We have WIDE open spaces in Texas, but I can't say i've ever been that far away from fuel.
I'm still thinking the additional weight is a serious issue.
Are you planning or carrying fuel for the entire weekend?

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The side tanks on ANY GM truck (M1008/M1028/M1010/M1031, etc) is TWENTY GALLONS. Unless you have changed the tank, that's what's up under the bed. YOU CAN add a passenger side tank and that adds another twenty.

Then as has been said above, put in a suburban diesel fuel tank in the rear - though you will have to remove the spare tire and mount before you do. But that tank is forty three gallons.

So all added up, it would mean he could carry in three tanks MADE for the truck, eighty three gallons. Then he could just carry five 5 gallon fuel cans and he's got his 108 gallons of fuel he seeks.

You SHOULD be able to get the passenger side tank from most wrecking/recycling yards. The Suburban diesel fuel tank can be purchased from LMC Trucks for under $200 - though shipping COULD be a killer, depending on where you live.

You could ALSO take a deuce fifty gallon fuel tank and mount that dead center up against the bulkhead and he could carry 158 gallons of fuel and still have it located in FOUR different locations. He could even plumb his two side tanks so that the deuce tank dumps fuel into them. So he could empty that one first by refilling his side tanks as he went...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a whole big thing to type but Jim stole it right from my head and typed it word for word.

Darwin T

Recovry4x4, hurry up and wrap you head in foil before he steals anything else. just kidding foil does not work.

plan 2.0 - passenger side tank for ballance and an M101 with the extra fuel tank and extra stuff. when you are going to do something stupid just unhook the trailer, go do it, go back to the trailer to get the come-a-longs roll the truck back over and kick the dents out and hook on to the trailer and off the the next stupid thing. :shock: sounds like i have experiance in stupid things!

DokWatson

Recovry4x4, hurry up and wrap you head in foil before he steals anything else. just kidding foil does not work.

plan 2.0 - passenger side tank for ballance and an M101 with the extra fuel tank and extra stuff. when you are going to do something stupid just unhook the trailer, go do it, go back to the trailer to get the come-a-longs roll the truck back over and kick the dents out and hook on to the trailer and off the the next stupid thing. :shock: sounds like i have experiance in stupid things!
This is why we carry 55 gallon drums, leave them at camp...go out for the day, and come home to the 'gas station'.

And to the other guy...you are stuck on this whole 'weekend' thing...people go out for longer than two days you know.

Last edited:

Darwin T

plan 3.0 - go to harbor freight and get a truck bed crane it is small and mounts on the back passenger side behind the wheelwell and folds down inside the bed. get the 55 gallon drums like DokWatson, and somewhere i saw drum clamps to pick up drums from the top. you could carry 3 or 4 drums. the passenger side tank for ballance still sounds good, and will keep you out longer. :jumpin:

Oldsouthernboy

This will be part of a vehicle group that will have a M1009, a M1028 and M1008, We will be traveling from Salt lake Utah, through the lower Utah desert along the Old Pony express trail, to Foley Nevade, and on to Reno Nevada. This will the primary fueler for 3 vehicles for the 180 mile desert part of the trip. IF you all want to tag along when I start planning the trip in a couple of years you will be welcome. I will post a topic in Military trips about 6 months before for any who wants to tag along the more the better.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks