• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel water separator question

j_boucher

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Getting ready to do a fuel system filter change "first-time new owner" and had just a quick question does the knurled connector on the bottom of the fuel water separator turn to drain the fuel ? I only ask because it's very tight and I don't want to break it off accidentally. I looked in TMs and I found it mentions draining it but doesn't show the drain valve / unless I missed it

Last edited:

Adrok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Petroleum ( fuel and oil ) floats. Opening the knurled connected drains the water. Just drain until definitive fuel runs out.
If it is not hand tight, be cautious using a tool. Plastic parts deform and crush easily. Especially when aged and exposed to petroleum products.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Operator level PMCS (After Operation):

1. Check fuel/water separator (Figure 4, Item 3) for leaks or damage. Notify Field Maintenance if leaks or damage are found.Class I leak exists.
Pass Fail

2. Check for presence of water in bowl (Figure 4, Item 4) of fuel/water separator (Figure 4, Item 3). If there is water in bowl, perform the following steps:
Class I leak exists.
Pass Fail

a. Place suitable container under drain valve to collect fuel.

b. Turn knurled nut (Figure 4, Item 5) at bottom of fuel/water separator (Figure 4, Item 3) to the left to open drain valve.

c. Close drain valve by turning knurled nut (Figure 4, Item 5) to the right. Dispose of fuel in accordance with AR 200-1.

Review of the -10 manual is a good practice. More civilians with military vehicles should learn about the process.

Ronmar

Except that PMCS procedure skips a simple step...

Read the ring around the primer pump. you need to pump the water/fuel out the bottom of the filter bowl using the primer, when you open that drain.
if you open the bowl drain and it start sucking air into the bowl, that means your bypass flapper valve is leaking. the fuel in the line will flow back to the tank and suck air in thru that drain...

just did a video on maintaining that primer on my youtube channel username: Rronmar

j_boucher

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Except that PMCS procedure skips a simple step...

Read the ring around the primer pump. you need to pump the water/fuel out the bottom of the filter bowl using the primer, when you open that drain.
if you open the bowl drain and it start sucking air into the bowl, that means your bypass flapper valve is leaking. the fuel in the line will flow back to the tank and suck air in thru that drain...

just did a video on maintaining that primer on my youtube channel username: Rronmar
Thanks Ronmar , I will check it out tonight

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks