• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuels

was this helpfull to some one else

• yes

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • no

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

344lbsofgetdown

hello everyone ok i know this has been said but not to clear on what to do i bought a great M1009 no rust all 100% cant wait till i am home to drive it but one thing has stumped me where i am at now we run DF2 no problems back home i think all stations went to ULSD what can i do so i am not burning up a IP can i add some ATF to the fuel at every fill up and if so how much or is there additives i can buy or just say the heck with and run the ULSD is this going to hurt my CUCV im so lost i found a bio fuel place by the house and dont know if i should run that if so what do i have to change on the truck HELP ME I AM SO LOST IN THIS MATTER i have heard i can run some 2 stroke oil in the tank how much like i said B4 HELP ME please i have read that i can run Kerosene to but will stations sell me this to run in my truck i know it is dyed and if i get pulled over and checked i am in a world of poo
:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
runing DF2 is not going to hurt the system in fact the engine was made for DF2 and also USLD wont hurt it . USLD is a bit well you can say dry olrder trucks made befor 1995 might have an issue where is does't lub the rubber parts and makes hoses start to crack and sometimes it screws up the injection pump . i run disel kleen with every fill up . this stuff works great it cleans and lubs the system at the same time . I will never run BIO FUEL in a million years. hope this helps

Last edited:

91W350

Our local pump shop says he cannot tell any difference in pump failures since the LSDF came out. He recommends just adding a few ounces of Marvel Mystery oil as cheap insurance, if you are concerned about it. He was originally on the pumps will fail earlier boat, but he admits he has not noticed that occurring. I run Power Service through the winter and unless it is going below 20 degrees, I try to run #2 when I can buy it. Most places blend fuel as the weather gets colder, so I go to the Farmer's Coop to buy it....

Occasionally in the summer I add oil or Power Service, but I must admit I am not very steady at doing it. I always have a jug in the truck, but it just does not seem as pressing during the summer. I never tried Kerosene... if I ever get in a tight spot and it is available, I will try it. Glen

344lbsofgetdown

runing DF2 is not going to hurt the system in fact the engine was made for DF2 and also USLD wont hurt it . USLD is a bit well you can say dry olrder trucks made befor 1995 might have an issue where is does't lub the rubber parts and makes hoses start to crack and sometimes it screws up the injection pump . i run disel kleen with every fill up . this stuff works great it cleans and lubs the system at the same time . I will never run BIO FUEL in a million years. hope this helps
can u still get DF2 at the pumps i have been gone a couple of years in iraq so a little out of the times on back home stuff so it sounds like the new ULSD will be just fine thank you

timm831

There was an article in either Army Motors or Supply Line a few months back about the issue of ULSDF, the basic bottom line of the article was that it was perfectly fine to run in older MV's. That being said, a few of the guys at the musuem do as stated above and do add additives when they fill up their own trucks. I sponsor an M-548 and have used off road fuel in the past but, even the off road fuel now is low sulfur. I haven't had any issues due to fuel, other than King Kong using the fuel cell for a toilet.

combatmech

I'm kind of surprised as to the findings about Marvel Mystery Oil. I worked with some guys in the civilian aviation community that swear by that stuff......Ive even used it my GTO.
I have not had "Thing 2" long enough to have run through a full tank yet. Might just consider something else....Thanks for the info!! Super helpful!!!

jimmy-90

I use the Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Booster year around. I don't measure it out like it says too I just dump a pretty good amount in. Likely more than it says too which doesn't hurt the truck at all just my wallet. Anyhow I do notice that the truck runs slightly better with that stuff in the tank than without. About other diesel fuel at the pump. As far as I know they only have USLD and off-road fuel. I don't know how much the fine is up to for running off-road fuel in your highway truck these days but the last time I checked a while back it was something completely off the scale outrageous.

I use the Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Booster year around. I don't measure it out like it says too I just dump a pretty good amount in. Likely more than it says too which doesn't hurt the truck at all just my wallet. Anyhow I do notice that the truck runs slightly better with that stuff in the tank than without. About other diesel fuel at the pump. As far as I know they only have USLD and off-road fuel. I don't know how much the fine is up to for running off-road fuel in your highway truck these days but the last time I checked a while back it was something completely off the scale outrageous.
I use the same stuff, and choose the silver jug over the white one. I also found a quick way to measure it out is to buy a couple of those little bottles of Lucas fuel additive, which from what I have read, does not provide quite as good of lubricity increase as the Power Service, and then refill them with the Power Service additive, and add a little bottle with each fill up. I found my mileage increased with my '06 duramax from about 18.3 to a solid 19 MPG when I am not towing, and from a weak 13 to about a 14.1 when I am towing. Add to the mileage increase a hopefully longer IP life, and it pays for itself. I also run the synthetic Rotella 5W-40 oil with one quart replaced with the synthetic lucas oil additive, and change oil about every 7-9k miles, or when the oil gets down to 10 - 20% life expectancy according to the 2500HD's computer - whichever comes first. One other thing I do is let it drain a minimum of 12 hours, but preferrably 24 hours when I change oil. I did this as an experiment after someone recommended it, and caught about a pint of the nastiest oil you could imagine when I replaced the catch pan with a clean one after I had let it drain the normal period of about 15 minutes.

Referring to the off-road diesel, my neighbor tells me the fine in Alabama is $25k, so I am glad I have a miltary ID and can fill up on post for the same price. Glad I don't have that possibly very expensive temptation to deal with. I also heard SS tales of getting ticketed for running WMO in multifuel rigs because it changes the color of the fuel to black, which could possibly mask red dye.

TexAndy

ok, this may sound like a dumb question but:

In one of the tests they add used motor oil to the tank in a 200:1 ratio and measured only a 2 micron decrease in wear. Statistically negligable.

However... what if they were to add it in greater quantities? say, 10:1 or 5:1 or even 1:1?

I guess what I'm asking is, does anyone know what kind of lubricity the franken fuels people are burning in their deuce have? Has anyone done any such tests like the one in the PDF with this question posed?