• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fueltank and/or evap problems

keefer

@gungearz, im not having a problem finding the sending unit. im saying that the problem is not likely the sending unit. im saying this because i made an access hole in the floor and ran the fuel line straight into the tank with the sending unit off.

@trukhead, its not likely the vent, i have tried driving it with the fuel cap off so i know its venting. ive blown air through the vent lines also. and yes it is the same sending unit setup.

mistaken1

If not the lines then the lift pump? I gather you replaced it and used grease to hold the actuating rod in place while the pump is installed. It could be a new bad pump.

If an electric pump that bypasses the mechanical pump and is fed from the tank works that would seem to indicate a mechanical pump problem.

Where does the jerry can set when the truck runs off it? High enough with a short enough hose that the IP could pull the fuel if the mechanical pump is not working?

keefer

If not the lines then the lift pump? I gather you replaced it and used grease to hold the actuating rod in place while the pump is installed. It could be a new bad pump.

If an electric pump that bypasses the mechanical pump and is fed from the tank works that would seem to indicate a mechanical pump problem.

Where does the jerry can set when the truck runs off it? High enough with a short enough hose that the IP could pull the fuel if the mechanical pump is not working? 07-06-2012 23:42If not the lines then the lift pump? I gather you replaced it and used grease to hold the actuating rod in place while the pump is installed. It could be a new bad pump.

Where does the jerry can set when the truck runs off it? High enough with a short enough hose that the IP could pull the fuel if the mechanical pump is not working? 07-06-2012 23:42If not the lines then the lift pump? I gather you replaced it and used grease to hold the actuating rod in place while the pump is installed. It could be a new bad pump.

Where does the jerry can set when the truck runs off it? High enough with a short enough hose that the IP could pull the fuel if the mechanical pump is not working?

Mistaken1, i suppose it could be the lift pump but i did replace it. and yes i did install it correctly. the jerry can sits in front of the front seat by the floor or behind it. i thought of the whole gravity feeding thing, so i put the jerry can on the ground outside of the truck. the truck continued to run, however, the truck usually does run for a long time at idle, its driving it that makes it shut down fast so i dont know if this test was any good.

i bought an electric pump from napa. im concerned about putting it in though. i read a lot of the threads on here about that and it seems some people use regular gas pumps and some use special ones.

anyone know if a gas electric pump will do the job? i dont want to have to buy two pumps.

keefer

hey heres the update if anyone is interested or can help. i installed an airtec electric pump and a seethrough prefilter for it. no improvement whatsoever. engine still dies after a few minuets of driving. what i did notice though was that the clear fuel filter that i installed had no fuel in it after it died out. this would sound to me like an evap issue but ive had the tank off and have seen all the hoses and lines going to the tank. im at a loss here. the entire fuel system has been off and laid out in my driveway and checked or just replaced. i dont see how anything could possibly be malfunctioning

mistaken1

hey heres the update if anyone is interested or can help. i installed an airtec electric pump and a seethrough prefilter for it. no improvement whatsoever. engine still dies after a few minuets of driving. what i did notice though was that the clear fuel filter that i installed had no fuel in it after it died out. this would sound to me like an evap issue but ive had the tank off and have seen all the hoses and lines going to the tank. im at a loss here. the entire fuel system has been off and laid out in my driveway and checked or just replaced. i dont see how anything could possibly be malfunctioning
This pre-filter sits between the tank and the electric fuel pump?

When you feed the electric pump from the jerry can you can drive the truck all day?

New parts can be defective out of the box.

If the clear prefilter is between the tank and the electric fuel pump and that fails but running the supply from this pre-filter to the jerry can works then the problem has to be between the fuel in the tank and the pre-filter.

keefer

@mistaken1, yes the prefilter is between the tank and the electric pump that i just installed on the framerail. and yes it will go all day long with the jerry can setup, im not using the prefilter when i do the jerry can setup though. just straight to the manual fuel pump.
what are you suggesting could be defective right out of the box? i know the electric pump works. I pulled some fuel out of the tank with it so i know it at least does something.
it would seem there is a problem getting fuel from the tank after a few minuets. i just cant figure out what it is. i had the tank off and got to see the vent tube and fill tube, they were fine. pretty much everything that can wear out has been replaced and the stuff that doesnt really wear out has been checked out.
what am i missing?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks