• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Full air ride crew cab

treeguy

Clinton, I have a couple of questions for you.

What happens to the drive shaft lengths when the axles are moved like you said in the front? With the move forward and drive flexing is there enough spline to make this up?

The pics. of the front show the four link susp. with a stabilizer crossbar, would a four link having Frame to Axle at the Wheel and Frame to Axle at the Differential work? I have seen it like that on monster trucks, then you can eliminate the stabilizer crossbar.

What type of material are you using for these arms is it box or solid, and what dimintions, just curious?

How much bed length are you left with after extending the cab?

Instead of adding a donor body tub to the back how hard would it be to extend the existing tub under supports to just extend the floor, add a back and sheets to connect the back upright to the rear door frames? All virgin fab. and frame reinforced of course (no doors but fixed windows)

That is a sweet looking set up and like everyone else, I'm drooling. Keep up the amazing work![thumbzup]

Attachments

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Veru interesting and darned nice looking work! I am envious of your imagination, what I mean is some people on this site come up some of the greatest ideas for their trucks I am at times amazed, I think I was born with a fraction on the imagination some of you guys posess, Keep the pics coming I think its going to be beautiful when completed!
KK

ccequipment

Clinton, I have a couple of questions for you.

What happens to the drive shaft lengths when the axles are moved like you said in the front? With the move forward and drive flexing is there enough spline to make this up?

The pics. of the front show the four link susp. with a stabilizer crossbar, would a four link having Frame to Axle at the Wheel and Frame to Axle at the Differential work? I have seen it like that on monster trucks, then you can eliminate the stabilizer crossbar.

What type of material are you using for these arms is it box or solid, and what dimintions, just curious?

How much bed length are you left with after extending the cab?

Instead of adding a donor body tub to the back how hard would it be to extend the existing tub under supports to just extend the floor, add a back and sheets to connect the back upright to the rear door frames? All virgin fab. and frame reinforced of course (no doors but fixed windows)

That is a sweet looking set up and like everyone else, I'm drooling. Keep up the amazing work![thumbzup]
Well the front shaft was going to be just about to short at full droop, so I went ahead and moved the axle forward and i will make a new shaft. The rear shafts are about 8' long, I have to put a carrier bearing in them.

There is not enough room in the front four a 4 link like you showed, the oil pan and front drive shaft limit what you can do very easy. In the rear that is what I done, its simple and easy.

I will get some pics today

ccequipment

With lift and 53's, you'll definetly want some steps. (awesome build by the way)

I made some out of 1" 316-series stainless tube. They have since been painted OD with grip tape on the bottom hoop.
I was thinking about some chain with welded links across the bottom, this way they don't get bent, they just fold up if you are offf road. I can drop the air off it lowering it down 5" so that will help to.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clinton keep up the good work.
I took my XM381A2 for the first ride 3 Days ago on are off road test track and what a Nice ride it was.
Next step is to extend the cab 12 Inches for more room.
and build the Bed for it.

wtwhitelaw

When I win the lottery you are one of the first 10 phone calls I make. I have gained so much info from yours as well as others builds on here. Like was said before the amount of imagination and ingenuity on this site is just amazing. My dream truck is somewhere along the lines of EL Dioblo, Hot Rod Duece, and the amazingness (is that a word?) of your builds. Keep your fingers crossed for my good luck so that I may be able to proudly be called one of your customers.

Wayne

ccequipment

You have to move around and weld in about 1" lenghts. I used a brand new hardtop, but I found it was a little thinner than the old ones I have been chopping, but it was nice to have something straight to work with

off_sho_cajun

This may be a dumb question but i just would like to know before i get myself in trouble. Here in Louisiana we have
a law about how high your headlights can be when a vehicle is lifted. Is there like a grandfather clause that is allowing us to lift these trucks and weasel around it? I picture when i get my deuce of lifting it and riding 53's but i want it to be street legal. Anybody can explain? By the way ccequipment.... AWESOME BUILD!! cant wait to see the final product

off_sho_cajun

HAhAha! I wish. Are you guys just keeping these vehicles primarily offroad to where it dosent matter, or are they street legal for say daily use when they are that high?

just curious

AGE|kshaufl

I am not sure about the lights. I am originally from Pennsylvania and it was the bumper height that they were concerned with. They didn't want you crushing smaller vehicles with our lifted pickups.

Can't wait to see the finished product. Looks like it is going well.

hughscpa

Excellent work Clinton, your ability to transform these beasts into sweet looking machines unbelievable. :beer: On the headlight height issue I know that one of the deuces I got had the headlights in the bottom position instead of on top. The blackout light and the horn were on top. Don't know if this helps but there is a difference.2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks