• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Full Fenders For The 5 Ton

jd-ford-hd

My 5 ton has to earn its keep which means pulling a detach lowboy sometimes. This type of trailer does not have a deck over the rear drive wheels like a flatbed trailer. I saw right quick that the big Goodyear 395's were gonna be shooting rocks out like a Gatlin gun!! Full fenders were the obvious answer. When I decided how I wanted to build them, I made a drawing for the fab shop to bend the diamond plate for me and I did the rest. I made the fender set in four pieces bolted to the supports that are also bolted to the truck.

Attachments

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
That looks NICE! :beer:

But you need to flip those hubs...if it's possible on the 5 ton.

Wheel bearings wont last long like that.

Last edited:

jd-ford-hd

That looks NICE! :beer:

But you need to flip those hubs...if it's possible on the 5 ton.

Wheel bearings wont last long like that.
If you think about just a minute, the wheel bearings stay in the same place no matter which way the hubs are installed. Sooo, if you got wheel bearing trouble it aint the hub causing the problem.

jd-ford-hd

Looks great, what guage is the diamond plate:?:
I used 3/16" plate. Looking real close in the photos, you can see that I used a 3/8" X 1 1/2" flat bar bent to fit under the perimeter edges of the fenders, inboard and outboard to brace them.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only issue I see is it looks like the tires will contact the fenders over rough ground. We run into this alot installing fenders on civilain trucks with alot axle movement as a 5-ton has. By the time you mount the fenders high enough to clear the tires at max travel they are so high you run into neck clearance problems.

jd-ford-hd

The only issue I see is it looks like the tires will contact the fenders over rough ground. We run into this alot installing fenders on civilain trucks with alot axle movement as a 5-ton has. By the time you mount the fenders high enough to clear the tires at max travel they are so high you run into neck clearance problems.
There is 5 inches of clearance, more than enough for all practical purposes. Very few people with MVs will ever have their stuff in the extreme situations that the military invisioned when designing these trucks. The fifth wheel, if I remember right, is 4 inches above the fenders, once again, more than enough clearance for all practical purposes. "Practical" is the key word here, you know, the word that all of us have removed from our vocabulary after we started buying, collecting and justifying the ownership of MVs!!!!!!!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks