• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

full tank only reads a quarter tank.

Barrman

The -20 manual has about a page devoted to fuel gauge repair and diagnosis. Basically, unplug the lead at the tank. Turn on the key and see what happens. Ground the lead, turn on the key and see what happens.

Open should be way past full while grounded should be below empty. If yours does that, then you either have a bad sendor or a bad sendor ground. If it doesn't, the tm says you need a new gauge if you have checked everything else.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Time to replace the in-tank sender I would think. They do become worn and resistance makes them read wrong.

Pops506th

Sometimes the floats will become fuel-logged and will read much lower than normal.

Either way you look at it, you've got to drop the tank to repair.

combat32

Good info, I was gettin ready to explore the -20, mine reads 3/4 sometimes, 1/4 after I fill up, and somewhere around E when it gets down to 1/2 tank.

Barrman

Mine read acurate for a month last fall. Then one fill up when I was down to 1/4 tank (23 gallons added). It only went ot half tank. It worked on the reduced range scale for a few months. I hit a nasty unseen speed bump and it went to 3/4 with a full tank and read accurate for a few months with 3/4 as full. Now it is back to the E-1/4 scale. I have another sender, but we are just too darn hot to get much work done outside. Wednesday we had a high of 97° and I thought it was almost comfortable out. Back to 105° today and hiding in the a/c.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think there is a little black magic in getting CUCV fuel gauges to work
Not really black magic, I've redone truck fuel tanks couple times now and the sending device is simple; a sliding 12V scale that reads resistance--- that's it. When they become worn or corrode you just have to replace them. Unfortunately, that requires pulling the fuel tank:-|

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks