• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuller 9 Speed

atbhaack

So, I am new here and very excited about the Deuce. I was woundering if anyone has put a fuller 9 speed in one? There are several concerns,

1.) input shaft, not sure what the stock has
2.) would stock clutch work? that would help with flywheel starter.
3.) length of them
4.) front drive shaft clearence
5.) final gear ratio of .73 get me to 70 with bobbed deuce?

Just seeing your imput here. I am just starting my project and really want to keep multi fuel since I want to run WMO and fry grease and feel this motor will do it better then anything else I can buy. I live in Texas and would like to be able to do speed limit on highway. I don't care about going faster then 70 but would like to do that. Also, being low on power I hope I can hit a sweet spot in power band with the 9 speed and also make it easy on motor. What you guys think. Sorry to the ones that like them stock. I do as well but feel there are more then enough to mod some.

Trango

Measure the transmission in the truck already, and then measure the one going in, taking stock of all the things that will need to move to fit the 9 speed. You're soon about to appreciate the length concerns presented by any type of transmission swap.

Best,
Bob

Trango

Measure the transmission in the truck already, and then measure the one going in, taking stock of all the things that will need to move to fit the 9 speed. You're soon about to appreciate the length concerns presented by any type of transmission swap.

Best,
Bob

atbhaack

That is what I am thinking, I am worried that there will be more costs in new drive shafts then the trans itself. Since I haven't bobbed it yet, I can just move rear axle back instead. That will fix the prob with rear. I need to go find a 9 speed and measure one.

mudguppy

welcome to the site! there is a wealth of knowledge from the folks lurking on the site. however, sometimes getting that info out of them can be a chore.

first thing someone is going to reply with is, "have you done a search on the subject"? this is a favorite response by lots of folks that would rather you spend a lot of time using a very finicky search function that is more miss than hit.

so just so nobody jumps on you, 'try the search feature up on the upper tool bar'. might want to try 'fuller', 'eaton', 'RTO', etc.

now, to [partly] answer your question - my opinion (i've been doing a bit of research on swapping in different trannies into the deuce) is that it will not likely fit without some major surgery.

the spicer 5spd that's in the deuce is extremely compact - the case is less than 17". then there's only about a 7" jackshaft going to the transfer case. finding another trans that small [with more gears] is extremely hard, if not impossible. i haven't found anything better than 5 speeds that will fit. so for a longer length transmission, you'll be looking at moving the transfer case, crossmember, and associated linkage rearward. not to mention driveshafts will need to be modified.

secondly, eaton/fuller trans are pretty wide, too. while they will fit, it'll get pretty tight real quick. but something like an RTO is going to be very tight.

rpm-wise, you're going to need to go to a larger tire combined with a real deep OD [0.67:1 or better] to get to 70+ mph. i have 16.00 size tires (52" tall); i have the effective ratio to get above 70 mph with these tires, but i don't have the nerver or hp to get that fast.

i say nerve because i think you'll find those kinds of speeds fairly uncomfortable in a deuce - these things don't exactly handle like a sports car, full-size pickup, or even a moving van.

lastly, speaking of power, the multi's just don't have it. in my opinion, you can do a lot of work trying to get a 9spd to fit only to be fairly disappointed in performance. you're right in the fact that more gears will definitely help you access the [tiny] peaks in the powerband, but i'm not sure you'll be totally satisfied.

i suggest that if you do the trans, then go all the way and do a motor swap at the same time. swap in a 5.9 cummins, DT360, or Perkins and you'll have anywhere between double and quadruple the power output and the smaller engine size may let you a install the trans easier.

for the same size as the multi, a Cat 3208, 3116, 3126, or C7 will fit, as will 8.3 Cummins, and International DT466. all of these are pretty easy to find, too.

lastly, the multifuel uses a standard SAE3 engine adapter. so a trans with #3 clutch housing, clutch, and so-on should be a bolt-on.

hope some of this helps. good luck and take lots of pictures!!!

atbhaack

Thanks! That is what I am worried about, I like the ideal of the multi fuel, might just be trying to wish for to much. I have lots of ideals for mine such as alloy dump truck rims and some big radials, trans, adding a secondary electrical system to run ac, and other items. Also, working on a power steering options, and something to help stabilize the truck at higher speeds.

Found out adaptors for the rims are very high, looking into other options. This site has been a great wealth of knowledge. I am lucky that I have a full service shop to build it in. All the tools that I can ever need.

that international is a good motor and you night get one with a trans hooked up to it its a 5 speed but with the transfer case it would be good. we had one made into a hoe truck for cleaning culverts and stuff like that . easy shifting and nice for power.19 90 and later are i think up to 260 hp at 2300 rpm 800 ft lb at 1400 rpm

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks