• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fumoto valve

Shane M

So its that time again, time to change over oil for the summer. I wanted to try a fumoto valve but when I got the part in the threads were too fine. I ordered it based on the make model and engine. Called the manufacturer and they didnt know what the deal was so i returned it and got a refund. Im still interested in trying this fumoto valve, so does anyone know what size thread our oil plugs ise? Or the right part number for the valve?
Thanks in advance

cucvrus

It is a ball valve on the drain plug. It is a dead engines best friend. If you stay on level road it is fine. But off road open it up and it will bleed out before you know what happened. it is a drain plug ball valve.fomoto.jpg

reaper556

It is a ball valve on the drain plug. It is a dead engines best friend. If you stay on level road it is fine. But off road open it up and it will bleed out before you know what happened. it is a drain plug ball valve.View attachment 618411
It does seem kind of gimmicky. Nothing wrong with the standard plug and washer especially if you can figure out the technique. I don't get a oil bath with them

Shane M

I agree it does seem gimmicky but ive been curious for awhile about it. If it is junk ill only be out like $15. And if it fails im sure i would notice 7 qts of oil on the ground. Dont have too much time to go wheeling and when i do i take my atv.

Ilikemtb999

I had one on my Subaru wrx for 8 years. Was never a problem and not a drip from it. The lever sits in a lower groove once closed and uses a spring to hold it there. I always put a small zip tie in the groove though just to make myself feel better.

My car also saw a fair amount of dirt roads and snow/ice that made contact with the floor pans on more than one occasion.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use them and love them.
Have them on all my civy trucks.
Been using them for about 6 years now
Will install one on my M1008 at next oil change.

They are a slower drain, but a lot easier and no mess.

The lever sits very positive and will not "work" it's way loose.
Some car manufacturers install them at the factory.

Very well made and very sturdy.

CUCVLOVER

I had one on my Subaru wrx for 8 years. Was never a problem and not a drip from it. The lever sits in a lower groove once closed and uses a spring to hold it there. I always put a small zip tie in the groove though just to make myself feel better.

My car also saw a fair amount of dirt roads and snow/ice that made contact with the floor pans on more than one occasion.
That engine has basically no oil pressure right? The oil just slishes up to the top end and drips back like some small engines right?

MtnSnow

I have run Fumoto valves in all my 4x4's and off-roaded with them and never had an issue. I currently run Fumoto valves in both of my 5 ton trucks as well and have off-roaded without issue. If your worried about the lever getting pushed open realize that it has a detent gate so you have to press the lever to bypass the detent and then turn it to open and if your really worried about it they make snap rings (for lack of a better discription) that will block the lever from being able to be moved without first removing the snap ring.

Shane M

So i just went on and confirmed that last time i ordered the valve i got the f101n, 1/2 x 20 unf threads. But for th life of me i couldnt get it to thread in, maybe a flaw in the manufacturing process? The threads looked fine but from what i remember they just looked too fine

Jozseph

So i just went on and confirmed that last time i ordered the valve i got the f101n, 1/2 x 20 unf threads. But for th life of me i couldnt get it to thread in, maybe a flaw in the manufacturing process? The threads looked fine but from what i remember they just looked too fine

Shane, I would measure drain plug with thread count pitch gauge, then decide to run a tap on pan, and possible die on valve.

FWIW, there is also a valve called "EZ Oil Drain Valve" detail at URL;

http://www.ezoildrainvalve.com

Compare and review

Joseph

Last edited:

rustystud

Our work has used these valves for over 10 years and no problems. I bought some for my Deuce, and during the next oil change will be installing them. That lever is almost impossible to open by accident. I say "almost" as you never know ! They are extremely well made valves.

Terracoma

I had one on a Toyota Tacoma for several years, and will echo the "works great, never came loose, drains slow" theme. I believe mine had a small hole drilled in the throw lever for using a wire cable to secure it in the closed position. The slow(er) draining could have some merit with the 939-series and other large trucks, as the drain volume can get out of hand with that many gallons trying to push their way out.

The N-suffix models have a nipple for attaching a length of rubber drain hose, which is handy for aiming towards your catch pan.

cucvrus

IMG_4946Fumoto fail.jpgThis is my example of a Fumoto failure. Had it (Fumoto brass plug) been in place it would have failed. And someone would have been would have been up Rausch creek without a drain plug. NOT good. My camp will stay with the steel drain plug. I get my oil changed at the dealer most times anyway. Can hardly touch the CUCV service for $60. at the GM Express lane.