• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Funky steering

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reviving this thread as my issue was not completely resolved by the repairs accomplished. The pulling is gone now but it does not want to hold a straight line. Steering is extremely easy. Did not notice this before. It was mentioned that caster should have been adjusted when the 395s were installed. From what I have learned since starting this is the spring perch needs to be modified to accomplished this.

So two questions. Both may be dumb but I cannot I find an answer through my searching
Does increased tire size increase positive caster? To my thinking it seems like it would but that's not the result I'm experiencing.
Can the spring perch be rotated 180 degrees to correct this? I read somewhere about doing this and drilling a new alignment hole or machining down the front side.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A to 1st Q: No, it doesn't.
A to 2nd Q: you can... but you will end up with way too much caster and a bad angle, prop shaft to diff pinion.

I suggest reading this thread.

This is what I do... (4-5deg positive caster is what you want, not more.)
Spring seat, stock vs. mod..PNG

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I knew I read some of that somewhere! Seems there is a lot of different opinions.
I'm running 50 psi so first I'll go to 40 and see if that helps. Easiest first.
If not double check toe in and adjust then test drive.
If not then pull the perches.

Thanks for the drawing. Missed it or stopped reading before I got to it.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After using @gringeltaube drawing and adjusting the caster my test drive was TOTALLY different. You can have my firstborn son as thanks! Pretty much held a straight line except for ruts in the pavement. I will still take it to a friend and have them check the toe in/out for any additionally improvement but I can easily live with this. :ROFLMAO:

Also noted at 2,000 RPM speedo read 50 MPH as did the GPS through Waze. I thought/hoped that with 395s the actual would be greater and I will check again with a GPS speedometer just to confirm. 2K RPM is about the max I want to run it. I will be doing the fuel density mod for power on the hills but top speed is set. EGT ran consistently 350.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New info.

Steering is very funky anytime the front axle is engaged.
Coming out of a corner keep a very firm grip on the wheel until it is straight and down the road a few seconds. Otherwise, it will unwind and try to either throw you into oncoming traffic or off the cliff, and almost break your fingers in the process. A few days ago it was driving great after adjusting the caster. Straight line with just a touch on the wheel, a little wandering at 50+. A joy to drive. Then yesterday I left the front drive engaged from coming up my driveway the day before and holy cow what a difference. Slept on it and made sure the front was disengaged today. Back to normal.

Is this indicating a problem with hubs, axles or differential? I did not try it with hubs unlocked.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
New info.

Steering is very funky anytime the front axle is engaged.
Coming out of a corner keep a very firm grip on the wheel until it is straight and down the road a few seconds. Otherwise, it will unwind and try to either throw you into oncoming traffic or off the cliff, and almost break your fingers in the process. A few days ago it was driving great after adjusting the caster. Straight line with just a touch on the wheel, a little wandering at 50+. A joy to drive. Then yesterday I left the front drive engaged from coming up my driveway the day before and holy cow what a difference. Slept on it and made sure the front was disengaged today. Back to normal.

Is this indicating a problem with hubs, axles or differential? I did not try it with hubs unlocked.
I am guessing it must be more than just the normal "pushing you around" when the front wheels are engaged? Asking because it definitely handles completely different when there are good tires and dry pavement...

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am guessing it must be more than just the normal "pushing you around" when the front wheels are engaged? Asking because it definitely handles completely different when there are good tires and dry pavement...
I’ve got another 4wd and have driven many. Never had one so “violent” . If this is normal, so be it. I’ll only use the front drive when absolutely necessary.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks