• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Funny noise in 4th and 5th Gear

reblawyer

I'm getting a vibration about halfway through 4th gear (RPM wise) and the same n 5th gear. The vibration and noise seems to correspond with a feeling like the clutch is yet not fully engaged. Any thoughts?

rdixiemiller

How hiogh is your clutch pedal? You may have an adjustment issue, in which case it needs fixing ASAP. You may have a clutch going out, or a bad universal joint. A bad u-joint can give you that vibration that starts at a certain speed, then gets worse as you go faster. Probably be after the transfer case, or it would do it in any gear once you hit a certain RPM.

reblawyer

Doesn't feel like a u-joint, plus it gets better once the truck gets up to the middle to top end of the speed in whatever gear it is in. Clutch seems to engage adequately for shifting at about 2/3 depression but the pedal is run all the way up.

poppop

If the petal has no free play then the release bearing is running all the time. The bearing could be vibrating at certain RPMs but i don't know why it does'nt do it in every gear. If the bearing is running all the time it won't ;ast long.

bottleworks

Here is the PS mag on the clutch. The bearing is an intermittent use bearing. It will fail if it is allowed to constantly turn with the engine. If it's out of adjustment, it needs to be fixed ASAP.

m35a2cowner

clutch

If you think the clutch is slipping in 4th or 5th when you feel the vibration, floor it. If the clutch is slipping the engine speed will increase much faster than the trucks speed. Does it vibrate when the truck is moving at the speed you experience the vibration with the motor idling? If so it might be a tire or drive shaft out of phase (eyes of the u-joints not lined up) or a bad u-joint of carrier bearing (if so equipped). I agree that you should check the clutch adjustment. Also check to see if the clutch linkage is not binding (has it been greased?) Make sure the transmission is tight to the bell housing and the bell housing is tight to the motor. Also check all engine mounts as well as the the mounts on the transfer case. Good luck

reblawyer

RE: clutch

Checked out the clutch adjustment and it has adequate free play. The engine rpm does increase much faster than the actual truck speed. Can anyone tell me how to visually id the lube point for the clutch linkage?

rdixiemiller

Is the clutch slipping? the pedal height may be good because the clutch pedal has been adjusted. If the disk is too thin, the clutch will slip under load. This is usually noticed when climbing a hill in 4th or 5th gear. The engine will start running faster and faster, while the truck slows down. You can usually smell the clutch frying when that happens.

reblawyer

Well, its not losing speed on hills, at least not because of slippage. Think I'm going to have to take it out for a run and see what other symptoms I can find.

bottleworks

Re: RE: clutch

jwaller said:
pull the bell housing cover on the bottom and check the free play and lube the release bearing.
I had no idea that the throwout bearing could be greased. Just a zerk fitting? I will have to do that tonight!

bradmachine

might be rusty bearings in the 4/5 gear countershaft. might eventually lead to excess spline wear causing it to jump out of 4th or 5th gear... might check to see if there is water in oil in the trans....oil might look like a milk shake after it has been driven...water settles out and rusts the bearings in the lower countershaft....which is 4th and 5th......if the truck has set outside without a top on the cab then there is a chance of water in the tranny....rain runs down the gearshift lever and if the boot isn't absolutely water tight, a little gets by and drips into the trans....settles to the bottom, eventually gets up to that bottom shaft which is 4/5 gear....I learned all this the hard way...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speaking of the 5th gear countershaft, I've got a tranny with a chunk out of the 5th countergear. Anyone have one?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
trans

actually, the counter gear is for every speed except 4th (on overdrive trans) 4th is straight through and puts no load on anything in trans except bearings. kenng i have a good counter gear.........

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks