• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fusable Link???????

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I've heard this term on numerous threads.

Excuse my ignorance but what is a fusable link? I looked it up in the 34 manual and can only find the term dealing with the M1010 cracker box.

Where are they at on a M1009?

What am I looking for if one is burned out and do I repair it with standard 10 gauge wire?

Just remember, I'm not a mechanic, I just play one on TV.
or better yet, I just find out where most peoples vehicles have been---CARNAC needs enlightened.

Bobert

Not really sure where to find fusable links like these ones, but therer are a bunch by the driver side firewall and scattered all around.

Here is an example of a good one and a burned out one. (I don't know if they always burn this much though)

Attachments

Crash_AF

A fusible link is a smaller piece of wire in line with a larger wire that is designed to burn out if the wire is subjected to too much current. It's basically a non-replaceable fuse. You have to cut the link out and splice in a new one if it burns out.

Later,
Joe

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Brings up another question:

If I got access to an AN/PSM-95 STE-ICE SPORTS, would it be capable of telling me IF and WHERE I may have one burnt?

Only issue I continue to have with my M1009 is with the heater. I replaced the coil and the blower seems to work fine but no heat. All other lights and systems appear to work fine (knock on authenic, simulated, plastic wood).

Thanks for the info so far.

acetomatoco

So, when you push your heat lever from left to right does it move on the other end and open and close the duct? Are your heater hoses installed correctly, Does your thermostat work and is one heater hose hot when the engine is hot. or both.

Crash_AF

Carnac said:
If I got access to an AN/PSM-95 STE-ICE SPORTS, would it be capable of telling me IF and WHERE I may have one burnt.
No, the diagnostic tool will not tell you where the links are. It might tell you if the circuit is dead, but I doubt it.

What you'll have to do is find the dead circuit and then see if there are any burnt wires. I have had a fusible link blow and not burn the insulation, so what I had to do was give the links a squeeze to find out where it popped.

Now on to your heater problem, if the blower is functioning properly, that is the only electrical component in the system. The controls are all manual, so you need to check your heater box under the dash while operating them to see if they are working properly. You should hear the blend doors inside the box move when you move the levers on the dash. If not, there is a problem. And as Ace said, while the engine is at operating temp, feel each heater hose to see if they are both warm. If only the one from the engine is warm, the heater core is probably plugged and will need to be replaced.

Later,
Joe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks