• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuse Keeps Breaking

McCluskey

I've had an issue that has become much worse lately. The 20amp fuse for "Engine Compartment" the fuse that functions the Glowplug system, Fuel Gauge, Parking Light, etc. It has blown a few times in the past at random. Now it always blows new fuses upon initial start up. I hooked up a volt meter to it, but I do not see any high numbers. One time I thought it may have read 65V, but I think it may have been mistaken. It hovers around 12v +/- when its on Run, Start. I tried jumping the circuit with some wire and everything functions, all lights and devices. I cannot track down why the fuse keeps blowing.

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

You don't need to see high voltage to blow a fuse. In fact, that's not usually the reason. Can happen, but that's not the prime suspect.

Excessive load (in some form) is the prime suspect. That excessive load can come in many forms. A short circuit, or partial short circuit from frayed wiring is a common way. It can be a device that is going bad and drawing too much current. Functionally, that's the same as a partial short.

In fact, you're more likely to see LOW voltage on a circuit just before the fuse blows. But you aren't likely going to see it with a standard voltmeter. It's there and gone too fast to register.

So, start isolating components. Identify everything that is powered through that fuse, and start investigating each one.

KsM715

Voltage usually doesnt blow fuses. Its the amps. There is something wrong in that circuit causing it to blow. A fuse is a protection device. You need to find out what is shorting out or causing a high amp draw in that circuit.

eagle4g63

I'm figuring the blazer he has listed in the sig line................and from the glow plug comment.

Anyway, if you can take out (temporarily) one system at a time from that circuit and see if it does it, if not than you know what system to start looking at.

Goose2448

You haven't added anything to the truck have you?

I know I added a radio to my civy C20 and started blowing my running lights fuse. Blew both tag lights, and the fuse. Being young and dumb, 17 at the time, I just up the fuse from 15 to 20 amps. No more problems with that. I figured with the addition of the newer radio and the extra lights on it drew more amps.

McCluskey

Wow, I goofed. Sorry guys, this is my 1986 M1009 CUCV.

The only thing electrical I've added to the truck is a 12V cluster which has been wired in for quite some time, long before I ever started blowing these fuses.

Yes, I have all my TMs for the truck but I'm still at a loss. I trace through, what I believe, are all the associated circuits and cannot find any obvious problems.

McCluskey

I'm not exactly sure when its blowing. I know a few times it blew before the wait light came on. I'm out of 20 amps now, so tomorrow or Monday I need to go get more.