• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuse/Relay Block Recommendations

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Over the course of my M1008 ownership, I've added a few additional electrical circuits for items such as radio, trailer brake controller, fuel filter heater, fuel pump, etc. Depending on load/need these were typically wired to their own relay or to the 12V block near the glow plug relay with its own fuse.

I've come to a point where I still have a few additional items to add (cab lights, exterior light bar, etc.) but want a cleaner solution for power supply with fuse and relay management. There seems to be countless options for fuse / relay blocks online, however I have not yet installed one of these items so am looking for some feedback.

I need a few circuits that only require a fuse, and a few others that use a relay. And it would be really nice if some of the fused power sources could be set up to only be "on" with the ignition or even lights. I believe I could buy a few separate "blocks" and set up each as desired above, but has anyone else installed something like this and what did you do? Or if I'm missing something and there is a much better option that I'm not considering feel free to chime in.

Barrman

I did something like that on my Cowdog Suburban. I put 2 fuse blocks on the front of the center console. 1 always hot wired directly from a battery. The other switched 12 volts from an empty spot on the left of the stock Chevy fuse panel.

I run everything not stock to the 1987 truck off the extra fuse panels.

I have the stock Chevy center console and carpet on that truck so all the wiring really can’t be seen unless you look for it. I think inside the cab is better than on the firewall for such a thing. Maybe a little bracket below the steering column?

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did something like that on my Cowdog Suburban. I put 2 fuse blocks on the front of the center console. 1 always hot wired directly from a battery. The other switched 12 volts from an empty spot on the left of the stock Chevy fuse panel.

I run everything not stock to the 1987 truck off the extra fuse panels.

I have the stock Chevy center console and carpet on that truck so all the wiring really can’t be seen unless you look for it. I think inside the cab is better than on the firewall for such a thing. Maybe a little bracket below the steering column?
That sounds like a good idea, yeah I should be able to find a spot under the dash in that area. Do you happen to recall what brand/type of fuse blocks you used?

Barrman

No idea on the brand. They were in a stash of parts I got. I have since found out they are cheapo units. The push in fuses tend to rattle around some in my experience. Get good quality.

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those Blue Sea ones and I also found Painless Performance Products ones that seem to be pretty nice. Painless performance says they’re made in USA too.

I’ll have to check/plan how many circuits I want to run off them and get the fuse block(s that fits best. There are a few that are combo units with both constant on and ignition on.

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To bring this to conclusion, I ended up installing the painless performance fuse block I linked above. Overall I was happy with the quality but the mounting setup doesn’t seem to make sense. With the wires coming out the back with the screw tabs they have it would smush them way too much. So ended up mounting it over hanging a recess in the inner fender.

Only have used 2 constant on circuits so far (for horn relay and fuel pump relay power) but it is a much cleaner way of running it.

IMG_2429.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks