• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Future M998 to M1114 Conversion Project

Sulfurous Jesus

I came up with this idea with a couple of close friends of mine. We are still facing the nightmare of finding a M988 chassis and shell to work with for the moment, but we have what we want to do laid out. I love the M1114/51. The masculinity looks just marvelous, stunning, and handsome, and they agree. So we are gonna make one since Up-Armored Humvees you can't come across, I haven't even seen a De-Mill'd one (not even tires and frame). And if they were for sale, they would probably cost more then what we plan to convert. There's the short version.

We wanna make it look a little something like these in the end.
http://tiny.cc/p7zso (I rendered this about a year ago)
http://tiny.cc/zimuj
http://tiny.cc/0upc4
http://tiny.cc/3144u
Case in point, Armor armor armor armor. Big windows, big ugly turret.

Now of coarse, we aren't going to be bolting and welding together armor plating, the end product will just be a show case, not a combat ready vehicle. Probably fabricated from lighter durable materials. Probably .25in or less sheet metal. Massive changes are going to have to be made, like to the hood and windshield, doors and other spots to achieve an up-armored look. The roof will have to be totally overhauled and redone to get the boxy look. And one of the larger construction challenges is installing customized glass or plastic windows to give it a Plexiglas look (without actually being Plexiglas). And many other changes.

Now, that's the construction phase. Performance wise, we are probably going to have to shell out a few klams for a bigger beefier engine now won't we? Then the Suspension will get dragged in, then then something else will follow, I am sure. Or do you all think it'll be fine so-long as we don't take it up a rock cliff or fjord 5ft of water?

One last thing, registration. Many a times I seen, even on here, that registering a simple M998 is a horror, eg tracing the paper trail behind its use and creation. Would this, non-aerodynamic, extremely altered vehicle, even qualify for registration thorugh CA DMV? Will it be confined to a trailer for show boating around and have to stick on private property for operation?

-Sorry for newfa**otry, I am not exactly the most intelectual on these grounds.
-This all implies theres huge piles of cash everywhere too xD

So SS, any changes or recommendations for our logic?

jwaller

you would need close to 75-100k to make what you are thinking of to get even close to looking the part.

being a v owner myself I can tell you there is no point in buying the 998 if you want a 1151 or 1165. the whole running gear is different. from frame up to the crossmembers, brakes axels diff's, eng, trans, xcase, rad stack it's all different. no point in buying one and replacing it all. just buy a tub from the guys on this site that have one and start from there.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you would need close to 75-100k to make what you are thinking of to get even close to looking the part.

being a v owner myself I can tell you there is no point in buying the 998 if you want a 1151 or 1165. the whole running gear is different. from frame up to the crossmembers, brakes axels diff's, eng, trans, xcase, rad stack it's all different. no point in buying one and replacing it all. just buy a tub from the guys on this site that have one and start from there.

I totally Agree!

eisenhe

Yes, if you wanted to build an authentic one, it'd be heavy and expensive. But if you're just faking it and have access to a metal shop, you should be able to do just fine. Also, building it with sheetmetal or aluminum, you should be able to keep the original engine and suspension. The lightweight add-ons shouldn't be that bad. Just my 2 cents...

Haasino

Yes, if you wanted to build an authentic one, it'd be heavy and expensive. But if you're just faking it and have access to a metal shop, you should be able to do just fine. Also, building it with sheetmetal or aluminum, you should be able to keep the original engine and suspension. The lightweight add-ons shouldn't be that bad. Just my 2 cents...
I've seen a few fake ones before... they look pretty authentic to the untrained eye.

Attachments