• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Future MV owner question

usmcgunner

So guys and gals, I have a bit of a noob question here. I've been lurking for a while, reading the threads and reference information. I absolutely love this site and all the material available, so I commend the SS site admin and contributors. But I need some insight on the 6.2L diesel in the CUCV's. I've been shopping for a 1028 or 1008 for a while and I have a couple narrowed down. But my excitement bubble was popped last night when talking to a Jeeper friend from way back. As I was telling him about my plans, he said ditch them and find a beater Dodge with a Cummings if all I wanted was a home "work" truck. He claimed when he owned a CUCV with a 6.2 and it gave him nothing but problems. In fact, he had nothing good to say about the engine. Now I realize these things are dated and most likely will need some work, but are they really that bad?

From a practical viewpoint, being former military myself, it would seem to me that these engines are pretty **** - simple so 18 year olds in the motor pool could keep them running. My question really is, how hard are they to work on? I'm not a mechanic, but I'm mechanically inclined. In fact, I'm building a 400 SBC for one of my Jeeps right now. So though I may not be as fast as someone with experience, I was under the impression these were good engines and fairly easy to repair and maintain. I'm not looking for repeat info found in many of the threads (starters, 12v vs 24v, ect.), just pitfalls and how much time/money should I anticipate putting into a "running" engine? And just how reliable are they?

Thanks in advance for the insight.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everyone has their prejudices. I have found the 6.2 to be very reliable, and easy to keep running. Like any other 30 year old vehicle, the CUCVs will have their issues, but they are easy to work on and almost all parts are easy to get.
It is not a "high-power" motor, slow on acceleration, but that doesn't bother me and my style of driving. The 1008/1028 are a bit slow due to axle gearing, again not a problem if you are not in a hurry.
My 2cents.

Cheers, and Semper Fi

Last edited:
I disagree with your friend. I have an 85 and have had no issues out of my 6.2. It cranks up on the first turn every time. You are correct, these vehicles are old and will take some love but with proper maintenance they can be and in my case are dependable. Now you are going to get responses that will confirm this and will disagree with me. The good thing is if it's happened to these vehicles or this engine, someone has seen it before and everyone on here are always willing to help. Another wonderful source is the Technical Manuals available. Good luck in your hunt.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just remember that the 6.2L is good/great at what it was designed to do.

It was designed to be a low speed fuel sipper that had good torque and was easy to work on. It was NOT designed to be a 100mph super torque monster.

Keep it at below 2600rpm and all is good.

The Cummins where designed to do a different job. The 6.2L and the Cummins are in two totally dIfferent leagues.

it boils down to what you want to do with your truck. Slow and easy or fast and furious.

As far as working on them, the only complicated part is the injector pump. All the rest is simple.If you can turn a wrench you can work on it.

Visit some of the diesel engine websites for alot more info.

Last edited:

85CUCVtom

The 6.2L is[FONT=arial, sans-serif] not a drag racer. It is a really easy to work on motor but it has its quirks like anything else. You want to make sure the harmonic balancer is good. They start to wear and can eventually cause main bearing cracks.

Like said before, the injection pump is the most complicated part. Pull the return line check valve off the top of the pump and see if it is clogged by "coffee ground" debris. If so, the seals are degrading inside the pump and it should be rebuilt. Sometimes you can get a little more life out of the pump by breaking out the little glass ball in the check valve.

Like anything else, take care of it and it will take care of you.
[/FONT]

usmcgunner

Well, thanks guys. Points taken and my confidence is restored. I'm not looking to set any records; just some work around the house and an occasional trip to work in foul weather. Down the road, it will be the primary travel/work vehicle for a remote cabin in the mountains-why I need a reliable 4x4 truck. Other than some sort of stereo option and possibly bumper/winch on the front, the plan is to keep it mostly stock. But the top speed is a concern. I don't need 85-90 mph, but 70 would be nice; which are the interstate speed limits around me. My plan was a mild lift to clear HMMWV 37s. Looking at some of the calculators, that puts my RPM's at about 2800 which puts me at the top end of efficiency. What is the rev limitation on these engines? Or a better question, if 55-60 is topped out for a stocker, does the increase in tire size allow a bit higher top end?