• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FYI Secure your FMTV's fuel tanks to help prevent fuel theft

Reworked LMTV

New trend. People are starting to drill holes in fuel tanks to get fuel. Yes, I know, one spark does wonders.
Consider a locking fuel cap. Better yet, a fuel neck cover that locks and something to make it hard to get to the drain plug.

ramdough

New trend. People are starting to drill holes in fuel tanks to get fuel. Yes, I know, one spark does wonders.
Consider a locking fuel cap. Better yet, a fuel neck cover that locks and something to make it hard to get to the drain plug.
Well,

I think it would be really hard to keep someone from drilling.

I personally would rather them find the drain plug and steel my fuel than drill my tank.

Now having someone put something nasty into my tank…. That would be worth the locking cap in my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So maybe I am mean, but I wouldn't miss a wink of sleep if some "so-and-so" got burned up in an explosion if "it" drilled one of my gas tanks.

Diesel is a little harder to ignite with a drill, but I remember last time fuel prices skyrocketed, drilling was a regular thing. The problem then (according to the news) was that the thieves would capture what they could - then let the rest of the tank drain out into the storm drain... :-(

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a nice plug already in the bottom to save them time ! and the part number for lm/fmtv locking fuel cap by stant is 10419

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well,

I personally would rather them find the drain plug and steel my fuel than drill my tank.

Now having someone put something nasty into my tank…. That would be worth the locking cap in my mind.

The worst is tear a waxed mcdonalds cup into small pieces in the tank they get near the pick up tube it sucks them up against it the truck starves out they float back away till next time ! you will lose your mind overthinking it but folks will spend thousands of dollars replacing pumps and on and on ! And never look in the tank

Reworked LMTV

Well,

My tank is self sealing, but won't stop a hole saw lol
I guess the key thing is that I just wanted to make people aware.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, no, no…at over $4 a gallon, where am I going to get my fuel then…😁

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The worst is tear a waxed mcdonalds cup into small pieces in the tank they get near the pick up tube it sucks them up against it the truck starves out they float back away till next time ! you will lose your mind overthinking it but folks will spend thousands of dollars replacing pumps and on and on ! And never look in the tank
A ping pong ball works (used to work) really well in passenger cars.
Shreds of wax coated cup does sound like it would work really well...

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate to ruin your party but im not sure you can lite diesel with a lighter i remember as a kid putting cigarettes out in a bowl of fresh diesel and nothing happend . I will experiment tomorrow !

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The plug thing got me to thinking why not pull the original plug out and replace with like a torx drive plug to just not make it too easy to quitly drain our fuel out ! Does anyone know the thread sise and pitch of the plug ? My tank is full so i dont want a mishap and lose any trying to measure the threads .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks