• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G204 Rectifier help plese

spocter

Yes, all readings were from red to AC. The meter does have other selections (ohm's) , but the meter is at the garage and can get them selections for you tomorrow. I have it all hooked up except for the one AC to stator. Will do that tomorrow,fire it up, and give you the results. Thank you Speddmon

spocter

Well curiosity got the better of me so I went to the garage. Meter has 200,2000 20k,200k,and 2000k (ohms). Anyway,I hooked it all up and gave it a try. Immediately after turning power on, ammeter shows 15 amp discharge as before. I started it anyway figuring it might go to charging position,but it didn't. I then disconnected the +B connection and ammeter went to zero. Battery wire was hot along with rec quite warm. I tested +B coming out of rectifier (running) and had 12.9v AC. No DC, same as before. Disconnected stator wire from rec and retested,was 19.5v AC to gnd. Still 39.5 AC stator to stator . Just for the heck of it, I tested red wire that was connected to old regulator and showed 122v AC to gnd. I thought that was quite strange,but what do I know. If you test wire coming from ammeter to rec,shows 12v DC. I think the time has come to put it to bed. Biggest thing that confuses me is that battery wire shows 12 v DC. +B from rec/reg should also be (+)DC. But when you connect battery to +B on rec..its a dead short, running or not. I don't get it. Anyway, I really appreciate all the help with this. It is just going to be one of them nightmares. I believe I have been beaten. Thank you so much again...Len

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm at a loss myself. The only other thing that could have been tested would have been to leave the B+ disconnected and see is you had over 12 volts DC on it before it was hooked to the ammeter. That would have at least proved conclusivly that the rectifier/regulator was being damaged by the wiring somehow.

You do have an option though. Take the stator off of the engine and take it to a motor rewind shop and have them rewind it for a 2 wire output at about 18 volts or so. That "theoretically" should allow you to put an inexpensive regulator/rectifier on the charging system. But it may not like any surges created by actually welding with the machine.

Or the cheap and easy way out, if it is a welder/generator, plug a 12 volt battery charger into the outlet while you have it running. That would keep your battery topped off and ready to go.

spocter

Yeah, I agree. I really think that the original rectifier not being grounded has something to do with the problem. Way too much to do having it rewound. I think just manually charge the battery like you said. Thanks again for all the help. I really appreciate it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks