• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G506 in 1946

sancobg

Hi all,

This is my first post and I have a question. My wife purchased a G506 for my birthday, The original for sale ad stated in was a 1942 G506 with no bed.

The truck arrived from Texas on March 17, 2013 about 10:00 PM so there was not much opportunity to do a thorough review.

I have a Texas title that has a VIN of BV 721597. The truck certainly looks like a G506 complete with original paint and on the bumper it has, G506 and a partial military number stenciled on the RH side. Wheels/tires are aftermarket 8.25-20's.

The truck is 99% complete. The axles are not the banjo type but rather the front drop-in type that is common for a truck differential. Everything on the truck looks original and in excellent condition, with only one minor rust out spot.

My questions for the forum members:

Was this actually manufactured in 1946 from leftover parts?

Is the VIN correct for the vehicle or what does it translate to?

What differentials do I have what are the possible ratios?

Please fill in any blanks.

G506-1.jpgG506-2.jpgG506-3.jpg

Paul

Last edited:
Hi and welcome. The G506 was produced 1940 thru 1945 and I doubt that it was made from leftover parts. What makes you think it is 1946? The surpentine grill w/o the blackout bump tells me it is an earlier mfg. I will see if I have more info. Congrats on your project.

Your vin/serial number is not correct, it should look more like 5NJ132201
5 = Kansas City plant
NJ = Cargo less winch
13= January 1942
2201 = Production number

sancobg

Hi DR,

I'm just getting into the G506 because I want to use the truck toi advertise the USMC Veterans Organization of America, Inc.

I too didn't feel like the title was correct. It was a farm truck for sure, the prior owner placed metal spring stops as overloads.

Are the differentials correct as they are not the banjo type?

Where is the VIN located on the truck ??

Paul
USMC VOA Director
Vietnam Vet .... WIA 1965

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your wife is the best. You have correct banjo axles. Your vin is the motor number, that was used for titling long ago. The real vin as posted above is only on a data plate in the cab.

sancobg

NDT,

Thanks for the input.

The axles both front and rear are NOT banjo-they are conventional as used in modern trucks.

Here is some additional info;

I wet the paint on the bumper and was able to read the stencil as G506-8358210 with Code 3\E just below

The nameplate in the cab is blank for serial and date of mfg. It does have Contract #W20 OTS ORD 517

Odometer reads 2194

I do thank my wife for the gift. Her birthday is June 15th and I will give her a 1937 2 dr Chevy sedan, chopped top, 350 w/ 700R4. Complete less paint and wire harness. She'll surely be surprised. She has always wanted a vintage ride.

Paul

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tick tac toe on the cover is what is called banjo. Look at vehiclesofvictory.com for more serial no clues.

sancobg

Sorry--- This old man with PTSD blew it big time.

I had it in my head that a "split axle" was a banjo--I was wrong

Ever think to thank a teacher for your ability to read and write? How about thanking a Vet because you are reading in American English--- think about what it could have been.

Paul

No reason to be sorry.
There is a lot of information out there that I find is fun to locate for info on my trucks. It is a good part of what makes this hobby so interesting.
Here is a good site and the linked page may help with your bumper numbers: http://olive-drab.com/od_mvg_markings.php
I have found that you need to split up the bumper number and search each part to get an answer most times. If you know where the truck came from it may also help. In the end the bumper number may give you an idea of the trucks original configuration.

kelley

Sancobg,
Tell me something, does your wife have any sisters? What a sweetheart she is. Nice truck you've got there i got one last summer and have'nt stopped working on it since. The Data plate with the trucks serial number is located on the overhead valance above the drivers seat, it's about 2-1/2" tall by about 3 or 3-1/2" wide. I had to take mine off and wire brusk it for a while to bring the numbers back.
You should go to G503.com and scroll thru the forums until you find 1/2 to 2 ton trucks. Thats where you will find all the G506 owners and information and support you will ever need. It absolutely amazes me how well these old trucks hold up down there in the southwest. congradulations and please keep us updated on your progress.
Kelley

sancobg

Kelley,

My wife and I have been married for over 25 years and now that I'm retired and have the time, she wants to make sure I stay active and occupied. The G506 was a total surprise. She even arranged for delivery.

My wife does have two sisters, however they are not into trucks trucks and could care less about old trucks.

I did find the plate you mentioned, however it is blank for ser# and date of manufacture. I'm hoping the numbers on the bumper pan out.

Prior to the arrival of the G506, I had been busy designing a coupler assy and housing to marry a Fuller FSO-6406A to an NV271 transfer case. For those that don't want a historically correct truck, this adapter can be very useful. I put one in my 2001 Dodge 3500 in 2009.

Adapter Assy.jpg Adapter Drive Assy.jpg Addapter Assy 6.jpg Dodge & Trojan.jpg

Paul

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G506

Congrats on a triple hitter, wife, truck and retirement. Really appreciate the pictures, that truck is a dream build for me. Maybe some day.

I'm still trying to figure out how you got that tiny loader on the back!:neutral:

Attachments

kelley

The plates has numbers stamped into it, you'll be able to see them more clearly from the back side. Mine was completely rusted over, with some work the numbers came back.
Best,

Ray84

hi paul, I too have a 506 without a vin number on the data plate. ive been on all the forums and contacted vehicles of victory. I have an early dump with winch model. I need to find out what gm plant during W2 produced the dump model if u have any info let me know thanks

FrankUSMC

Paul, If the year is listed as 1946 on your title, this was common back in the day of no computers, and no one really cared. I have been collecting military vehicles for about 30 years, and have seen a lot of incorrect titles. I have seen them where for the year of the vehicle, they would put the year it was surplused out of the military. On vehicle numbers, I have seen the hood number used, and I have seen the number on the engine block used. Enjoy your truck. Paint it WWII Marine green, and use a 6 digits hood number for the hood. One of the few, Frank USMC RET.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks