• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're tho thilly Thtan....you only wish......

No butt theriouthly, even ThuperDaves truck has the holes filled and the Tm shows the tailgate but the canvas covers it...sort of.

I was going to toss it but then like I said, I saw the holes in your gate.......

The trucks are so hot looking from the front.....no one took pics of the back end.

Maybe it has thome important thignificanth!

Stan Leschert

Super Duper Dave is right. Back then, plates just had to be visible.
Lights were still an option back then.
Just look at the mirrors our trucks had and the turn signals ....

People were expected to be smarter in that era,
and crashing into the back of an Army Truck was just not socially acceptable!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Canadian brackets

Hmmmm, Thanks Dave. That is just ugly. As much as I'd like to have all the right micro detail done, that Canadian addition is not going to happen.

I can never get enough G749 pics though Dave.........Stan.......You guys are awesome.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M135 Birthday Tune Up

The 1956 M135 turns 56 on the 16th of March and my Dad turns 85 on the same day.

To celebrate the trucks 'champagne' birthday we're finally getting at the distributor, condensers, cap and rotor. On Friday we pick my 168 year old parents up and take em' for cake.

TM9-1819AC Page 341, includes the 0.022 point gap specs and the process is easy.

All the old parts look good so they will be cleaned, labeled and boxed for future use. One wire on the external condenser had a hole in the casing and looked like it was arching to the points......no wonder she ran so good.

Brian Asbury provided all the new parts and the only deviation was the distributor top which was absent of the piece between the wire mounts.
This cap could be for a different set up so anyone that could shed some light on that piece between the wires on the top of the cap will get cake.

Found 1 tire at the BIG 3 swap meet in San Diego, $60.00. Need 6 more......at that price.

The folks check into the site to view truck progress so any Birthday wishes to the 85 year old will be welcomed.

Happy Birthday Pops.

Onward

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Birthday...week

Today, March 12th is Mom's birthday, Happy Birthday.

She wanted pictures of my last vacation......so that's what she gets.

Attachments

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Distributor cap dif

Thanks Topo,

in the foreground of the side view pic of the engine compartment is the "original" distributor. It has a thumb type cap with access to the center of the distributor.

The new distributor, and your topo.... shows no center 'plug'.

It's like the old Chev caps with the 'coil' running into the center if the dis'. However the coil feeds internally for this truck. It's nice to think there's more then one style of dist. cover that fits but still don't know what the center hole is all about.

No cake for you yet.

Stan Leschert

Non truck related, but I want to pass on some Birthday Wishes.

Dave, you joined our little Green Afliction fairly recently,
and have made a huge contribution.

Your Mom and Pop should be justifiably proud of you.

They did well.

I'm just glad to have got to meet you.
You are pretty good in my books!

Tell them "Happy B Day" from the Wet Coast! :beer:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the kind words Stan.

We hear of a lot of people going to memorials and showing their "respect" for others that have already left us.

Appreciating each other while we're here, while tolerating our differences.......we may be different then others Stan..... It just seems to be the right thing to do.

I also hear of "builds" being done all the time that don't get completed before the person it's dedicated to passes on.

This week my folks and I will think of them while we cruise.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New parts don't work

GMC135 said it best, "These trucks have a mind of their own".

After installing capacitors, resistors, cap, rotor and smiling because no parts were left over.......She wouldn't start. Lot's of whirrrrr but no spark.

Ran through pages 219 to 225 of the TM's for the truck before, during and after the install and everything was done right.....for a change.

Trouble shooting started with the Breaker Point Capacitor and Ignition Coil Capacitor. After replacing the new ones with the original ones she fired up and we're road ready tomorrow. I need to find a way to test them for continuity....or is that incontinence?

Road test included a 10 minute idle and I thought I better post a picture of a no drip M135. It's dry for now so I'm going to enjoy the moment. We also stopped at the Nav dealer for a pic.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Birthday Drive

Loaded up the Birthday boy into the Birthday truck and went to visit green iron and friends.

Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

Section8

Absolutely beautiful! As Gunfreak stated very motivational!!!!
Glad you could share your rig with your folks!
I had dreamed of being able to get my Grandfather in the seat of a rig of mine but never got around to buying one till after he passed.
He always encouraged me to get one since he always had a liking for old military iron after serving in WWII.
He was in the navy, served on 12 vessels, three of which were sank, but always loved the big trucks of the good old ground pounders!
"Live your dreams before you end up never waking!" (Wilfred Leduc)RIP
Looks great!!
Side note: what tires ate those? I'll have to re read to see if you posted that!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
pics

Thanks for the kind words, hard to get bad shots when armed with a digital camera in one of the most beautiful Countries on the planet.

Most of the pics come from a tour Gunfreak took me on around Yuma.

Cloud Museum
Yuma Prooving Grounds
The Legion by the Gunrange

The rest of the pics come from an amazing tour from Canada through the SW United States.

Lot's of iron and aluminum to see down South, glad you liked them.

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, Cloud museum is impressive. If you were in Yuma, you should have gone the distance and checked out Jack's in Tucson.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
US military pics

I agree and we think alike. I had the neat opportunity to tour Jacks in Dec. and could have spent a week.

Jack is welcoming and informative and had no issues with us gently poking around the gold.

There is so much to see in that area with Monthan Davis, Pinal Air Museum, Titan Missle Museum the Commemorative Museum in Phoenix and....well you know, on and on. Amazing Country, abundant photo ops.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks