• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

135gmc

APM215 -- how are you slinging the unit to pull the truck? I don't see a drawbar sling, and nothing around the car body w/ spreader

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DB Cooper

Who are you, DB maybe? It's great Andrew. All you need to do is get the MV's over to the yard and get more pics. It's good to get an idea how big those trains are compared to my M135, you hang around big toys.......and if I ever get stuck, you the man.

Cheers

APM215

In your other thread there is a pic of the truck parked outside the yard. They wont let me bring it in. I wanted to try to pull a 10 car cut and they squashed the idea. LOL
here is a nice winter one.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M135

Priceless is correct. I'd like to get photos of the faces that see the truck for the first time.

While touring downtown last week I had people standing on the road, in front of the truck taking pictures at a red light. They looked confused, perplexed at the big green 6 wheel jeep. Felt like a monkey in the zoo......

More pictures this weekend.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M135 Preservation

Having the great opportunity to display the truck near a B-17, with supervision and every precaution considered, we opened her to the public and let everyone climb over it.

These three photos really show what this important hobby is about. You just don't see kids climbin' on corvettes.

This was an event to support our veterans and that included their children, grandchildren and great grandchildren, very cool.

On the way out the gate Dad asked if the M35 could stop for a picture and the sign should say "This MV stops for kids".

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stenciling and Dedicating

You asked the big question Mr.T, maybe we can bounce some ideas around.

If I knew what the first stenciling was that went on, I would do that. Obviously something CDN to match the truck but what it's going to be, I have no idea...

If we stencil the doors they will need to be restored first, sanded and painted by...a painter.

My friend and neighbour didn't come home from his last deployment, so there's an option of contacting his unit and having their decals put on my doors. I have a few buddies that should be remembered.

I'd like to dedicate the truck in some way to my family members that fought, for peace, fairness, life, security....not the drunken brawling ones. I was also thinking that names could be painted on a truck component that would fit in a display cabinet.....in fifty years....when the truck is do for a restoration.

I have a spare valve cover so the thought is.....to powdercoat the cover in some color then have a talented neighbour paint some names on it, of a different color. I can run it at show, remove it....set the valves....put it on a shelf and run the fancy grey one I just restored.

The details evade me, whatcha got?

Attachments

Gunfreak25

Dave, my condolences for your lost buddy. Will brainstorm tonight for you....

Fortunately there's acres of property on the GMC for more than several appreciative gestures to be stenciled on.

I am doing mine for my uncle art. We got news today uncle dee (3rd uncle) is in ICU and not doing well. 91 years old and fought the Japanese in New Guinea. Most amazing stories I've ever heard in my life.

Section8

The tribute to your family and friends is awesome! Can't wait to see the pics of the valve cover all painted up!
Any more thoughs on stencils?? I kinda dig Gunfreaks big maple leaf on the door thing.
Eager to see what you end up doin!

Stan Leschert

Put your Dad's name on the drivers front window, and your friend on the companion front window.

It will mean something to those who know.

The Unit and family will appreciate it, and you can still stick with your original plan of honoring your dad.

Tac signs of the period on the back of the truck, but unless they were a Tri Service ( not owned by anyone important), we never had decals on the doors.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Placement

Appreciate the kind words gents! It's good to remember friends........often.

Stan, that's great! What's the reason for the location or when it might have been done for the first time? Can you tell this civilian what it's all about?

Having some historical positioning for tributes would be very appropriate.

Gunfreak, The Garcia Dee 211?..... All the best to the uncle.
The acres of property comment gave me an idea. In addition to the valve cover and windows I'm thinking about painting names on the troop seats. Saving a seat on a Steel Soldier, for a Stolen Soldier.

This M135CDN is on display at a local facility and has a few original decals.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks