• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

Gunfreak25

I shall have to remember this for the day I get to trying to plumb my tank for fuel. I will probably have to find a different pump for diesel though.
I'm using the original fuel pump for diesel in mine. Will report how it works. Otherwise, i'm pullin the old pump out and makin a new top cover with custom pickup tube.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Winter Preparations

Getting ready for winter means taking friends and family members for rides and finding some photo ops' while the sun still shines.

Last weeks grease, timing adjustment and anti-freeze was inspected by the kids new dog and we're ready for the barn. I did fill the tank so it's really important to burn this fuel off within the next few months.

Removed the front drive-shaft because of some slop and if it's ok (will not cause damage), I'm leaving it off until we get some snow.

My brother taught me how to 'drift' 38 years ago and this winter we will be getting video of this 12,000 lb cadi' sliding around private parking lots. Truck control on snow is important so practice is inevitable.

Stan, awesome. I'll look it up but some of these pumps came with regulators so they can be tuned down to 3psi, g749 302 happiness. How's the truck running and what did you do to manage fuel pressure?

brrrrrrrr

Attachments

Stan Leschert

Brian and Simon (the mechanical brain of this operation) put a regulator in line, just BEFORE the under hood fuel shot off petcock. I think that they set if for 4 psi.

Make sure that your fuel pump is wired to the ignition switch, and being a gasser, you know that Fire Extinguishers (Yes, Plural) are an absolute must.

Make sure that your pump is wired through the Ignition switch.

Stan Leschert

Another note:

With our new fuels that include an Ethanol content,
make sure that whatever pump that you use has the newer Viton or equivalent parts in it.

This is of importance to the M37 ,M715 and the rest of the Gasser crowd.

NOS Diaphram fuel pumps don't work on modern gas.

A buddy got what was supposed the proper NOS pump for his M37,
just to discover that the 10% Ethanol blend had eaten the rubber bits,
and he now had 1 gal of gas in his oil pan.

Gas is not an efficient lubricant.
Great solvent ... and if you run with that in your oil,
You are going to have to replace every bearing ....

and every part that removed itself from the system,
due to excessive friction.

Be prepared to replace your old rubber fuel lines too!

Failure to do so will remove your happiness,
quicker than an IRS / CRA Agent at a floating poker game!

Just a warning!

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Poly Paints

My Deuce looks so much better with this cool new Steel Soldiers Website wrapped around it. Thanks Steel Soldiers.

Seeing a video today of an Early Deuce driving in the desert somehow forced me to paint the fenders and doors on my Deuce.

I lost temperature in the shop when we primed two years ago so the cab orange peeled. Good from far, far from good.

When working with poly paints, correct air temperature and metal temperature is important. This time I read the technical manual TM attached to the product.

To take small bites I hit the door and fenders only and got a little closer to that 'factory' look.

The pictures sure make that poly paint look shiny. We'll see when it dries but I think we got er'. For some reason the shop lights or camera flash make it look like glass compared to the hood. Then again, it does look like glass compared to the hood.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
. Big difference between restoration and preservation.
Thanks SuperDave, feelin' a little better everyday about parking next to this:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?10695-My-First-Deuce

I was checking the SS site and other places about MV restoration and found the MVPA 'judging' sheets on this page:
http://www.mvpa.org/vehicle-judging/

Thought this pdf MV judging form would be interesting... http://www.mvpa.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/JudgingForm.pdf

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Hood Preservation

Had a minute between shifts so went after the hood with blocks and hammer. Knocked a few dents out of it and figured it was time to paint.

Matching the factory color, texture and finish can be done if you use the same 2 year application method used here. Glass blast, prime with orange peel, paint anyway, block sand with 220, re-paint

The color of the dash looks different in the dark but the computer said the colors matched. I think it's close but again the angle of camera and shop lights change the colors in the last photos.

The finish is real close to factory with the odd dust fleck and thinner pop mark. A little North of the border Thanks Giving celebration.

G749 Hood Preserved.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the good fortune of meeting a local collector right here on Steel Soldiers. My good fortune is now his good fortune as the desire to be swimming in the pool of green iron was strong so I bought a couple of parts trucks and an M211.

We'll call them Larry, Curly and More.

Here's Larry and Curly. Curly has no box but had the frame extended which would fit a nice extended cab. Larry, well Larry was a drinker and complained a lot. That's what you'll look like if ya drink and complain.

No pictures of More the M211 but I'll show you More once she's onboard.PB200849.jpgPB200848.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Curly and Larry

John Deere gave us a hand loading the trucks today and phase 1 of the recovery is done. Took a few pics of Curly and the the frame extension. It also has a "backwards"? PTO pushing a shaft toward the rear diff and a big ol' sprocket hanging off the end.

Any guesses as to the purpose of this set-up?

Manure Spreader?, Hot tub agitator?

Curly is missing it's data plates and box but has a motor and trani and was running when parked.

Larry is a mess. No motor or trani, has an M135 W/Winch data plate and these big duallys hangin out the side so it is a 135 that wanted to be an M26a1. Hood and roof are smashed in and the nose is all red but the fuel tank, chassis and rest of the cab is complete.

Data plate for the W/Winch set up.......2721..... is available Stan...

Larry and Curley get delivered to the G749 sanctuary for storage and we're going to grab More on Sunday.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M135's recovery

Curly's after service life as a possible manure spreader......is over now.... and a long future awaits.

After a nearly flawless 40 mile trip the 2 M135's are tucked away at the G749 Sanctuary.

Trying to get backed into the paddock with an inch of rain on top of snotty Alberta clay, under a blanket of snow, made for a dually one ton adventure of rescuing a stuck duramax.

We pulled with short chains, long chains, slings, up hill, down hill and finally pulled the duramax sideways to get the trailer straight and roll Larry back into the compound.

Used the front winch on the trailer, running back to a pulley on the rear of the trailer and back to the front of the truck to pull it off the deck. Sweet, fun, easy, MV rescue adventure.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More, the M211 CDN with US markings

My first view of this 211 in the first photo was of a tired truck that just wanted to be rescued.

Wrong again. This thing fought hard to stay where it was. The beast wouldn't roll which encouraged us to remove 3 drive-shafts that didn't want to come off. Still trying to figure out why it wouldn't roll. Previous owner suggested transfer case TC problems so we'll start there.

Once we dug it out of the snow, removed the shafts and secured all the loose parts it finally gave up and rolled on to the deck fairly easy..... 2 1/2 hrs later, even needed a coffee break trying to save this b.

We finally reached max. on the duramax with 13,000+lbs of 211, a thousand pounds of spare parts, 8800lbs of truck and 3700lbs of trailer. Still under the 30,500 combined suggested weights but I'm glad we only had a few blocks to go.

Not much time for good pics before it got dark and there are a few US label mystery's to solve so I'll get her photographed tomorrow and get started on a Preservation Plan.

Any way to change the Thread title to G749 Preservation ?????????

Attachments

Gunfreak25

Now that's how you use a 1 ton Dmax for what she was made for. Nice rescue(s). Well executed, did I hear extenda' cab? Me thinks 4 door, 6.5 turbo, overdrive, heating, ac GMC would be the bees knees. Looks like your keeping Rollie busy for awhile!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M211 Preservation

Arrrr, you got er' Gunner. The bro' has always wanted a car hauler. He bought a 57' 3 ton, his birth year, and wanted to put it on a modern 1 ton chassis. Then he's limited on what he can carry. Now that I have a 'modified' frame, it's no longer original and maybe we can use the frame and running gear with a modern drive train for his car hauler.

More the M211, followed the duramax out to the G749 farm without a problem. Just for fun we stopped at the scales and.....

Front Rear Trailer
2000kg 2,740 kg 9,340kg totaling 14,080 kg or 31,040.56 lbs . . . .

4409lbs 6040lbs 20,590lbs

We're 540 lbs over Combined Vehicle Weight Ratings which means that the 211 can not be hauled with this unit until he goes on a diet.

Here are the unusual US markings on the truck. These could have been put on at any time after More's service life or maybe it served South of the border. Someone wanted it to look like a US truck.

The other mystery stencil is on the tailgate. ATTACH STUCK WHITE KNIGHT HERE.......

Any insight to what that might be for?????

Another easy delivery to the G749 farm with Larry, Curly and More tucked in the paddock for the night. The manufactured dates I have now are .......March 18, 1953 .......Feb. 16, 1955....... and .....March 16, 1956.....

Only 361 more to go.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks