• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dedication Ideas

Are you sure dude, Jeni thinks you're mistaken...........Closer to this guy.

Went and picked up the Powder Coated 302 valve cover and dropped some samples off of oil and acrylic lettering on a template they loaned us.

The idea is to use some hand drawn military font laid down somewhere on the valve cover, by an extremely talented neighbor. Lettering to include truck serial number, manufacturing date and make, pops name, DOB, a few family members and friends, dedication to a few current and ancient units and some hippi lettering with the word Peace wrapped around the front, maybe.

Had a chance to run the M135 tonight and took a picture of what the lights look like. The truck is hard to see so real glad we added the led's. It's a bear to try and correct a drift on the ice without power steering but we'll get some daytime videos while the front shaft is off. It's cold here but she loved the -15c air and the heater kept the windows clear and the cab bearable. Fun truck.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was going to post some more pictures but my Drive(G:) has an attitude today.

They billed me $55.00 but they are also going to clear coat once we finish lettering it.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 setting the brakes.

My luck ran out yesterday when I missed a 67' cj-5 split window Willys for $1,500.00. It was in Barrhead, Alberta Kijiji and it's gone, gone gone.

Kicking myself for not jumping because it's the second one I missed. Apparently I NEED A JEEP.

With the MV bug biting hard goose wants to hit the ice so I started setting brakes.

What tool is used to spin the adjusters behind the tie-rod ends?

As you can see in the pictures the space to access the adjuster is tight. I managed to get a stubby in but there's no room and none of my common adjusting tools would fit.

If you're using a stubby, be patient and grab a pillow. Spent at least 15 minutes on the back adjusters.

There are 2 types of adjusters on these trucks that I've found so far. The early trucks had a "brake shoe adjusting stud" which 'turns in the forward direction of wheel' to tighten (page 439 - TM 9-8024).

Mine has the rubber plug covering the access panel to the adjusters. There must be a reason they went away from the stud but without it there, direction of rotation to tighten adjuster is simple.

Follow the safety procedures when jacking or blocking your truck. Crush injuries and deaths are real.

ADJUSTING BRAKES, DIRECTION OF ADJUSTER

To "spread" adjusters, (tightening your brakes outward toward contact surface), insert 'tool' in adjuster knob wheel cogs and rotate handle of tool toward axle. Each time you insert your tool in the cog wheel and push the handle towards the axle it turns the adjuster about an eighth of a turn. My adjusters made at least 2 full rotations before feeling resistance so grab some patience for this process. Ensuring the adjusters are turning freely upon assembly is vital.

Continue levering tool handle toward axle until 'heavy drag is felt as wheel is turned by hand; then turn studs (adjusters) in opposite direction one half to one third turns to provide running clearance between brake shoe lining and brake drum'.

Attachments

onegmjack

You need a brake spoon. In the 70's they were different sizes and shapes. Check auto parts stores, should have some. Unless the TM gives a part number for the correct spoon, it's sorta trial and error.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G-749 Brakes

Thanks gentlemen, we're celebrating success with a brake spoon and a big bowl of jello pudding.

Pulled the SNAP ON tools list, the TM tool list, went to see the tools at Canadian tire...........and got it done without their help.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?tool=all&Group_ID=675708&store=snapon-store

I'm sure something was built to make it easier however a stubby screw driver, patience and an attitude also works to get it done. Once the roads froze up again last night the goose and I did some testing on ice. It did seem like the rears stayed locked a split second longer then the fronts once the pedal was 'snapped' back but ability to do a 6 wheel lock up, slide to a stop or release and drive out of it was flawless.

More On Tools....... Didn't call them technical manuals for nothin'!

Here's page 113. para 67. of 9-8024

67. Common tools and equipment

Standard and commonly used tools and equipment having general application to this material are authorized for issue to 1st echelon by ORD 7 SNL G-749. Common tools and equipment for 2d echelon are listed in ORD 6 SNL J-7, sections 1,2 and 3; ORD 6 SNL J-10 section 4 ; and are authorized by TA and TOE.

Just need to find these guys TA and TOE to authorize the purchase of more tools.

A little break in the day to help the local MVPA set up for the gunshow, a few early pics and an aerial view of our frozen City.

Attachments

Gunfreak25

Brake spoon...that's a new one to me. I need to get out more. Have you considered upgrading your adjusters to the "early" kind that take a 5/8 wrench? If I recall, wheel bearings are due for repacking every 35,000 miles according to the TM. While your in there repacking things about 25 years from now, you should remember to slap those newer adjusters in there. If you put a sticky note on your tire, it will keep you from forgetting when it comes time. Miss ye brother, something fierce....

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maintenance schedule

If I recall, wheel bearings are due for repacking every 35,000 miles according to the TM. While your in there repacking things about 25 years from now, you should remember to slap those newer adjusters in there.
That's one of the sweet things about getting the mechanical 100% on the drive train because if you're old or middle aged, you may sell the truck before the axles need to be torn down again.

I thought it would be great to have the TM's sitting on the bumper while the truck is on display, so I dropped $300.00 on a pile of TM's for the G749. It's nice to have the paper copies on hand.

The TM's that are available from Portrayal Press are shown in the photos below.

Now we just need to schedule summer!

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jet Mounting Position

When you guys mount your jets in your trucks did you have them forward of the rear diff., or over the axles like the second picture? The engine's running rough and ready for some work so we're looking for some options for a re-engine but I'm not sure where to mount it. I have the keys for the jet but can't find the manual.

Who's havin' fun today!

With the original 302 in 'Goose the Deuce' ready for a tune-up or a tear-down we took her to the MVPA meeting and then the parking lot for some weight, speed and road condition management training before ripping at the engine.

The knowledge gained here and in the TM's kept my thumbs out of the steering wheel, encouraged me to find a private, closed parking lot and with permission from the owner, tore it up a little.

Removed the front drive-shaft for maintenance and with 3 out of 5 dentists saying the sprag doesn't know if the front diff is there or not and will not be damaged, the time was right to lose control of Goose.

The truck wants to push straight but once you break the rear end loose it will spin donuts all day long. A little boring really. Recovery is easy with the thumbs pointed straight out and a crab grab on the steering wheel, it spins at break thumb speeds and the truck wants to go straight again or drift or whatever I tell it. Good steering response. Near the end of the video you can see it 'push' as it comes towards the camera.

Traction with these tires is as reported, not there. At the same time I didn't have any difficulties managing the truck on a 3 hr adventure today on slick city streets. It does spin off the line but with throttle control, getting up to traffic speeds is easy. Spins off the line, oh ya.

Stopping is the biggest issue but it's not the responsibility of the truck to stop in time, it's the operator!

The truck will not 'drift' turning left. The fuel is pushed away from the pump by an invisible force. Thought I broke something when the truck shut off the first time but uncle Newton and I did some thinking and Goose fired right up.

Even after the long run the truck stayed fairly clean with the highly recommended Endura paint.

Here's a short clip!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivdG0xgWlw8&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mv rc

The temps soared to +1c today so we took a break and went flyin'.

The F-14, Corsair and T-28 are mine while the mustang and 32 other crazy flying contraptions belong to a friend.

A little redneck racing and flying

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAAj3J9r0mA

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks