• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bombardier Illtis is basically a VW Illtis. I looked both up a bit more, the DAf I think is a bit lower on its wheels and the front fenders go further down and the front is lower than the Illtis. Not sure, but my gut feeling is that the Illtis would be the better on in terrrain, the YA 66 is more like a road jeep for modern circumstances.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was your phone broke Dave ??
No sir, my phone works and I forgot to call you, my apologies. I'll make it up to you, I'll let you drive my oldsmobile against a blazer in an ice race.
Sunday probably works best at +5 and with us racing on ice, you won't need to worry about my swimming abilities!:-D

Robo Mcduff, if you haven't already, check out some iltis video's and see what they do. As you can see on the previous post, one of the Iltis kids likes them so much, he bought 44 of them.
Or that might be how many you need to keep 1 running.

Stan Leschert

Um, yeah, they ran ... sort of.
Whenever we were issued them, it was always a race to trade them for something useful.
On my part, strong beverages were involved, and I never was stuck for long with anything less than an M1009.

Itloids were horrible beasties.

Mind you, now that I don't have to rely on one for a work truck,
I wouldn't kick it out of the driveway for marking it's territory.

It WOULD get a very serious power upgrade, in a Heartbeat!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spring MV options

Killing time with scale RC MV's.

The concrete wizard mounted a camera in his T-28 and we'll 'cement' a deal to get some video up, sometime.

The new 'public' technology allows him to wear a head-set and fly the RC from the pilots perspective.

The camera is built on a swivel which provides the ability to 'look around' while flying. We did some practice trials where I fly and the co-pilot wears the head-set and tries to get used to landing in a virtual world. I did touch and goes, immelmans, split s' and anything that might happen in a real aircraft....but with roll rates and maneuvers a human could not survive.

Then I wore the head-set and he flew until my nausea set in.

I understand that this method of controlling a vehicle may have been used in the past.

Any of you kids have experience with this type of vehicle control and is vertigo a real thing in a virtual world or am I just getting old?

(2) T-28 Trojan (2) Corsair, Sea Fury, Thunderbolt, F-14

Attachments

butch atkins

There are 2 varieties of vertigo,Objective,(objects appear to move usually in a circular motion in either direction),Subjective,(when the subject feels as if they are moving,think roll,pitch,yaw).Both can be serious depending on severity.Could be your getting old,but if it keeps happening you should get it checked out.I was hit by a car while walking 5 yrs ago and have Subjective Vertigo,can't play video games ,watch tv,look in mirrors,shiny surfaces,ride in a boat wife won't let me drive.My M211 is in pcs and I can't work on it.Pity party over .Good luck on ALL of your projects

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could be your getting old,but if it keeps happening you should get it checked out.I was hit by a car while walking 5 yrs ago and have Subjective Vertigo,can't play video games ,watch tv,look in mirrors,shiny surfaces,ride in a boat wife won't let me drive.My M211 is in pcs and I can't work on it.Pity party over .Good luck on ALL of your projects
Butch, that just sucks!

It's also ironic. A front end loader/tractor tried to get me in 90' and ended up parking on my right foot. It may be a prerequisite of G749 owners to be run over before retirement. A sweet lady friend of mine reminds me to look in the gratitude jar once in a while.

I didn't experience anything like you did and I can live with it. Are you getting better?

What's the status of your truck? Is it apart and needing parts or ready to go back together? Where do ya keep your pictures?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G-749 Paulin

Still missing the G-749 end curtains but did find an old cover full of holes. Looks like it's been on there since day one.

Spent some time tweaking timing, pulled a couple plugs that still look brand new and re-gapped the points which seemed to help.

Goose the deuce loves 50mph.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a past thread on the G749 Fording kit. Not sure why you guys want to ruin a perfectly good GMC turning it into a Ford but it's your truck.

Go to you favorite search engine, type in "M135 Fording Kit steel soldiers" and you'll find some links.............
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?75053-M211-deep-water-fording-kit

Guru Gunfreak has some pictures and a pamphlet posted.

Hope this helps!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Adventures

One of the best things about Steel Soldiers and the MV hobby is meeting people that help you find parts and spend your money.

Popacom was good enough to help arrange for a package of carb kits and points to be delivered. Another contact from the MVPA led me to a place called e-bay after he let some throttle pedals out of the barn and we all know what that means. I needed them too so I can drive a truck under them.

So, thanks for all the links and contacts and helping me decide exactly what the retirement funds are for.

Spent another hour under the Goose, this time focusing on all potentially catastrophic parts including Tie Rod End Cotter Pins and Nuts as well as Parking Brake Drum condition. Pages 135 to 162 in TM 9-8024 explains the 'A' 'B' 'C' 'D''s but should also include a qualified Soldier "B" inspect all moving steering components while soldier 'A' moves the steering wheel to and fro.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Preservation

I only took a few pictures because when I went to see the trucks, spare drive-train, re-built crate engine and spare parts, it was only to visit a friend I met through the MVPA at his beautiful acreage. I was interested in the crate engine but had no idea I'd be looking at a 220. When he said package deal, I knew it was out of the budget.

With some luck and the sale of things that aren't green, today the 'green crack induced' reality of having one of each of the G749's has begun and came early.
Steel Soldiers was kind enough to change the thread title so when the trucks are done, sometime, in the next couple weeks....or within the next couple decades, we can keep them all together.

I didn't get pictures of the third truck so for now,

meet George and Gracie!

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SuperDave, thanks for the pic! Not sure if I have the heart to put that back into the colors it has now, ....it ugly.

Maybe we can get some more history on it and find a good reason to keep it the same color. Need to find some paint codes, ......pity.

That looks like one of the British used deuces from BATUS that we were talking about on another forum.
I was going to share the trucks over there and tried to register but the process is slow.

BATUS is cool, you must tell us more. Did you get any pictures? If you have some background and stories with the G749 cmpman, it would be greatly appreciated here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Army_Training_Unit_Suffield

http://army.ca/wiki/index.php/BATUS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_DqaWG8anY

Attachments

cmpman

If you go to Maple Leaf up forum, and do a search for Batus, you will see a thread or two on the British use of the old M135s in Suffield. Not sure if they leased or purchased them from us, but looking at the photos of them in British service, the time period would have been about the mid to late 70s, judging by things like the lack of west coast mirrors and clearance lights.

The two tone colour pattern of green and yellow is the pattern the British use in Suffield and Wainwright. It would be quite rare to find a deuce with that colour pattern, considering the small numbers that the British would have been using and the length of time that has since passed. The call signs on your doors are more indicative of the Canadian call signs, so it's hard to say if your truck was released directly from British service, or found it's way back into Cdn service for a while.

I was not in BATUS myself, although I did more than a few exersizes in Suffield and Wainwright, but with the CF. Also had more hours than I would care to remember working on the M135s as a young vehicle tech. In fact, the deuce was one of the vehicles I learned to drive on (as well as the Jeeps and the 3/4 tons).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks