• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 M135 British Preservation

I googled ...'mapleleafup' batus... and found the post from 2007. Spent some time in the past looking through threads on mapleleaf but didn't see that one, really appreciate the info.

Great stories of the wheel cylinder maintenance demand and tired metal. Besides the regular maintenance, a guy needs to frequently inspect metal parts, that have not been replaced. Anytime you want to share the good and bad maintenance stories, I'm all ears.

Makes sense to paint that deuce with the, off-white?? camo theme and dress 4 manikins to sit on top for display, just like the picture!

We're still looking for a road trip East but just got slapped with a little snow and winter temps again. Should have left the deuce in the barn.

Attachments

cmpman

Actually we Canadians used an off white/tan/ colour on our cam patterns just before the three colour cam consisting of 2 shades of green and one shade of black came in (pre 1976).

The BATUS the camoflauge is a pale yellow and green.

Don't head to Manitoba if you are trying to get away from snow. I can't remember a year when we has this much snow, and we have another winter storm hitting tonight. I am running out of places to pile it from the driveway.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you want the plow? We saw a Crow last week and Grandma always said one more snow when you see the first Crow and we just got it so....spring is here now.

I went through an images search on batus and now I see what you mean. Starting a history lesson.

Helicopters, tanks and trucks in two colour camo. http://tinyurl.com/d2ut5ow

I still wish you guys carried your digital cameras around back in the 70' because it's the older photos of the trucks that are hard to find.

I did find a Canadian colour guide so if it's the two I'm thinking I can pull up a cross-match from Endura. http://hedgehoghollow.com/buzz/Colour_Guide/army_clr.html

A decent link for Canadian Markings http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/markings_on_military_vehicles.htm

A bit of history http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/vehicles/markings/vehiclemarkings.htm

cmpman

Your last two links relate more to the WW2 markings and colours. The guide is a bit more for modellers, and unfortunately, the colours are only as good as the settings on your monitor. I have the origianl Government board paint chips for these, and even they are not a good match to original paint.

I also have the camoflauge patterns in a book around here somewhere. There was a set pattern for the three colours, although not every soldior seemed to realize that so there were also some whacky cam patterns out there.

Digital cameras? In the 70s? You are pulling my leg, right?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plastic Paint Process Preserves Premium Pintle Perfectly

the colours are only as good as the settings on your monitor.
We did a visual match with the polyurethanes at Endura so cross matching with the actual colour charts would be beneficial. Wouldn't want to use the wrong Canadian green.

Found a few minutes to start prepping a spare tire carrier and pintle with the good ol' wire wheel on a grinder. I'll post the full story in the safety forum but you need more Personal Protection Equipment then just a full face shield and ear plugs when using a grinder.

Used a rattle can enamel primer and 24 hours later hit the pintle with Endura rattle cans.

A preserved pintle.

Attachments

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Meetings

Our first dry Saturday meeting for 2013' finally brought out some toys . One of the boys just added lockout hubs, SuperDave arrived in style and Goose the Deuce just keeps going and going.

This beautiful 48' Willys showed up and has some fine potential to be green.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First Convoy 2013

Had the chance to do a little touring on the way back to the shop after our meeting. After some convoy protocol discussion the ol' deuce chased the newer deuce down the freeway to a friends house.

The M135 attracted a crowd again and I thought of you guys when another beautiful girl jumped in and strapped on a helmet.

Great day to be an MV lover.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M207 cdn 1954

Finally had the chance to look at the new trucks and do some prep for transportation.

I thought I was buying an M220 but it turns out to be a rare M207 with a house on the back. Both gas heaters are still on the truck and the box is mostly untouched. It was going to be used as an office but the gentleman I bought it from drove it to his house prior to any chopping. The exhaust looks solid, roof is good and it still has that new car, dead mouse carcass smell.

Attachments

cmpman

Is that a perfection coolant heater in the third shot of the M207? Does the truck have the insulated battery boxes with the warming pans in the bottom?

What is the inside of the box like?

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Preservation

Is that a perfection coolant heater in the third shot of the M207? Does the truck have the insulated battery boxes with the warming pans in the bottom?

What is the inside of the box like?
I haven't spent a lot of time with the 207 yet but SuperDave says it does not have battery warming pans. It does have the perfection heater, intact. There's another heater on the box and the back is still full of parts so I'm not sure what kind of condition it's in. There is some rust around the box at about floor level so that might be a sign that there was moisture inside. The 207 needs to be moved with a lowboy and it's better to wait until the road bans are off in June so we've focused on other things. I can't wait to get back at it because he drove it home in low range from the neighbours and we're going to work on it together to get it fired up again.

We got distracted by something shiny today moving the Batus lookin' M135 and filling up the first trailer with a bunch of G749 stuff and a small block chev/ trani combo that the previous owner had hoped would go in a 135 someday. It wasn't part of the original deal but now that I have it, maybe our 2 hopes together can get it done.

We then used the owners antiquated Clark forklift to load a crate that is rumored to have a re-built 302 in it that was recently removed from the crate, re-oiled and turned because the previous owner hoped it would go in a 135 someday.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M207

Here is one pic in the back and a photo of the passenger side, box front with something missing.

Another picture of the spring pack where a family of Robins will hang out until they're ready to leave...... then we can move the truck.

Steel Soldiers think of the MVironment too!

Attachments

Section8

Jeez are those sweet!! M207?!?! I must research more on our trucks! I didn't even know there was even that model out there!!
I would kill to find one that is military made wrecker or one of the ones out fitted with a spotlight for anti- aircraft.
I lived I'm edmonton for 10 years and never knew there was so many goodies hiding out around there!!
Think I saw a 1945 CMP hiding in one of those pics to!
Dave your gonna have to build a HUGE warehouse and turn it into a M series museum!!
Awesome score!!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 302 Crate Engine

Found a minute to open the crate and check over the rebuilt 302. The tags say about 30 years and 2 months ago, someone in eastern Canada, maybe with a French accent, was in a hurry to get this engine ready for my Deuce.

It's a privilege to have a good host like Steel Soldiers to share this little historical moment for the G749.

The unveil.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 302 Crate Engine

I posted a picture of the crate just in case someone finds one hiding in the back of the barn.

The number isn't perfectly legible but this is what a search came up with http://www.nsn-now.com/Indexing/ViewDetail.aspx?QString=2805218425088

If you find a crate with this number on it....2805-21-842-5088 ....and it's currently a shelf,,,, ya might be a red neck.

First time with a 30 year old so if you guys have any pointers before I oil it up and turn it over........Where's Ron?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks