• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Trail ride

This is the first time Goose went into the trails and about ten minutes in she slid between a tree and a stump and was not going to go anywhere else. Goose didn't mind hauling kids around at 5mph, or touring the back roads but going around tight corners in the trails and side sloping isn't her thing.

The next morning Gracie and the rescue team hooked up some G70 chains and as Soldier b spun the tires in reverse Gracie pulled the back end around and pointed the Goose back down the trail.

My sweet loving niece who is an RN and doesn't mind dead things found some redneck fun to share with the M207. A little vengeance photo to my good friends that hit critters this year. This one's for Judy.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Caught a little video coming out of the bush after the rescue and I'm thinking real hard back to any other video that has two G749's in convoy.....Henderson?

Pulled out a laundry basket of tricks to get the deuce out and I bought the chain before I bought the trucks and am so thankful I had to show it off.

M207 following the M135 on a short hike.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRc_ja2K5g0

Last edited:

Stan Leschert

I learned something new to me today. One of my old soldiers and I were talking about the problems that I encountered with the truck .... fuel, ignition ... what came up was the fact that our fuel filler caps have 3 distinct settings. Fill (open), Run (vented) and Fording (Sealed).

If you crank the cap all the way on, the engine will expereince something that feels like vapour lock. Even if you open cap on the tank, you may have to engage the manual primer pump on the dash, to get fuel to the carb. Crap fuel will cause a bleeding and cleaning of filters. We installed 2 aux filters and 1 water sperator. The truck doesn't get out much, but when it does, we need it to complete the trip!

Learn something new every day. I'm so glad that I still have old soldiers around, who were trained on this series of truck, and learned the hard way ... and are willing to share with me ... (as long as I let them drive it occasionally!)

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 uses

The first picture is a tail pipe that tried to dig a trench at the bottom of a hill.

When climbing up a hill in the dark ensure the hill is not steeper then the ability of the vehicle to back down the hill without the tailpipe digging in and wrapping itself around the differential.

Ensure you have your tunes on real loud so you can not hear the pipe wrap around the diff and drive forward to unwrap the tailpipe causing it to either break or 'pop off' the manifold so you can now hear that something is not right and stop the vehicle.

Use Deuce to straighten kinks enough to drive out of pasture to power source for sawzall or carry battery operated sawzall.

The rest of the pics are just trucks in the sun and girls on the girls for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

Stan Leschert

I'm ruuning in Low Range tonight, but my wrench basher just informed me that it is time to refurb the ignition system.
Points, condensor, wires, cap & rotor.

I see that there is a current post on SS for Autolite NOS Spark Plugs ...

Could you repost the link to the list that you guys put together? Napa/ other suppliers? BTW, I'm still looking for a take 3 lever switch...

Thanks, and we will see you soon for a pint at my Legion.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure how this will look when it posts cuz' its a copy paste from excell but lets try.

Plugs
(Autolite) 2243O'Reilly
(Autolite) ASP 2243
NAPA

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Grannie Drives the Deuce

Grannie finally got to drive the Deuce. It was potatoe picking day and when we got done My 84 year old Mom climbed on the Goose and told us she was going to go look for Elmo. I'm thinking she's lurking on some old threads when a Deuce named Elmo went missing and she's still looking for it.......video coming.

Maybe someone can enlighten us on the current status of this truck named Elmo so people can stop borrowing my truck to go look for it.

Grannie Drives the 6x6 CDN M135

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UPd5fKMQ6Q&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Soot damaged G749 stock

After 115 days we finally had some cleaning action at our shop.

Had a chance to go through some of the G749 stock and I'm not sure if this stuff is going to be useable. Would any of you stick that head gasket on not knowing the effects of the sulfuric acid and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons?

Yup, learned some new big words I hope I never need to hear from any of you. The result of my neighbours commercial fire resulted in a 90 day investigation.

Cause:

Wiring that was older than 10 years. That is only important if you lose money because your business was disrupted. I got this from 2 insurance adjusters so it may be half right. 10 year old Wiring that causes a fire has some special exemption that makes this a non-fault fire and law-suits have not been successful.....guess you can't sue wires.

LESSON:

Ensure you have all cause business disruption insurance.

Coverage:

The fire department broke the glass in our rented front door and the adjuster tells me I'm on the hook for the door because my "Agreement" said I'm responsible for glass and doors.......That's what he said.... The vein on my neck must have popped because he quickly said...."But we'll cover you for this one".

CAPS.....also known as "under-insured" is the term used if you had to shovel all you schtuff into a garbage bin and they can't give you enough to replace it. I had a cap I knew about and It was enough when I bought the schtuff over the years but prices go up.

LESSON:

Ensure either your lease agreement or insurance policy says " If the neighbours building burns down you don't pay for emergency access damage to your building to fight the fire".

Ensure your CAP covers you if you had to shovel all your sctuff into a bin and go to the store and buy new stuff at today's prices.

Trucks damaged by soot:

2 of the trucks that were cleaned are having problems with wipers, lights and a fan for one heater is intermittent. There's no way to prove it's related to the fire however we are told we have 2 years to dispute the 'insurance' appraisal for the repair method. A cheap +/- $1000 detail job that I paid the $500.00 deductible for. The best way to be sure that 'etching' on yellow metals does not ruin your day, avoid accepting a vehicle that has been covered in soot. Something about sulfuric acid in the soot reacting better with heat on your electrical contacts and absorbing metal.

Lesson:

Not sure why I'm paying the deductible for my neighbours fire but check your policies to see if you are required to pay a $500.00 deductible on each of your vehicles that are in a fire started in a premises next to yours.

Trucks covered in soot in this case seem to be failing. Ensure your insurance company will either buy your vehicles out (for your recently appraised value) or replace your vehicles. Don't accept soot damaged vehicles.

The Lease:

We have a clause that gives the "Owner" of the building options to get us out.......but none for us to leave

I have a few hundred more but we'll leave it with a lesson from my Dad about putting stuff away. The chain saw in the case.....which once made a tree look like a squirrel..... is ok and the one left out is showing signs of rust. The brake cylinder in the closed box is ok, the one with the lid open is rusting. Big' ol Tool box lid left open with all my favorite quick grab tools, multi meters, test lights on top lookin' nasty and everything in the drawers looks ok. The gasket sets that were stored and sealed seem ok and the ones I had open......well you know.

Lesson:

If you're still waiting for your neighbours place to burn down, Put your schtuff away in the box and close it.

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Soot damaged G749 stock

The pics timed out.

I had to add the shot of Santa after we peeled the lid off the shops Christmas supply tupperware container....which we had the lid on....properly. Shiny white and Smilin' and a blessing of good things coming.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nobody Gonna Slow me down no no got to keep on movin

SuperDave, thanks for the visit man.

It has become even more adventurous and again just for the education process, I will be sharing this so someone might avoid these nasty insurance things down the road.

Not now though, with the SS site being down...the week I was forced to move a 3600 sq.ft. shop immediately..... you kids almost missed fall and with no shop the toys are forced to hang outdoors again until things are sorted out.

The 51 Chev panel that had never seen a garage until I saved her got hauled out to sit with my bro's collection of post war gear.

....... Me and Goose the Deuce, well we're just happy to be healthy.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Early Deuce pulls the sea-can

Had to move a sea-can that was full of shop supplies. Thought about you kids missing out and grabbed a short video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNQkwKYfuLE

Bought 2 new interstate batteries in the spring and Gracie the 207 had something draw them down last time I left her alone. I took them to Interstate and they replaced one they couldn't bring back up. I told them it was my fault but they blamed Gracie and replaced it for free.

The Interstate boys on 156 St. bought a customer for life.

A few pics staging for the sea-can pull and Gracie after a hard days work.

Had to show the picture of the passenger side battery on Goose with the corrosion showing up on the post, brackets and my new wires. Goose wants a shop and some attention!

Attachments

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greeting Card MV's

We had a little snow here and it made it perfect for some Winter MV shots,

Merry Christmas from the G749 farm!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks