• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We found out that if you drain the bell housing and put the plug back in you can get it to a few more shows. I added a bottle of 'fix everything in your engine' off the shelf from my local parts store. It ran for a few hours on the weekend cruising around the airport and the 1 litre oil capacity on the bell housing seems to be holdingrofl. The motor will be coming out anyway but we have one more big bash on Aug. 9th so she needs to hang in for the PPCLI 100th anniversary. We're planning a for a big show but you know how planning goes so more pics after it happens.

http://ppcli.com/100.html

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M135 Preservation

In preparation for the PPCLI 100th Anniversary this weekend I gave up some time to help wash the windows in this old beater. http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/deuce/index.html

P8070035.jpgP8070033.jpgP8070037.jpgP8070034.jpgP8070038.jpg

We hit the highway with it and other than missing all the rattles and noise, it runs just like mine, but with 6 cylinders. It's a 'brand new', 62 year old truck, just amazing. Hidden in the glove box was issue #118 of Army Motors and David Doyle's article on the M135 with photo's of the factory and assembly line.

Goose and SuperDave's 52' will be together for the first time this weekend so we're dressing her up with some new 'orange' front lenses and some new glass.

P8010006.jpgP8010003.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PPCLI 100th Anniversary

The MVPA dragged equipment 200 miles to put on a dynamic display at Edmonton's celebration for the Princess Patricia Canadian Light Infantry PPCLI 100th Anniversary.

P8090232.jpgP8090088.jpg

Goose had many visitors today who remembered the M135's and 211's that they drove in the service. This fine gentleman gave up a story about flying a deuce that was racing through a field and didn't see the road in front of them. No one would have known if the transfer case didn't fall off on landing.

P8090153.jpg

A few more of Goose and the line-up.

P8090203.jpgP8090104.jpgP8090106.jpgP8090156.jpgP8090205.jpg

We ran a little open convoy after the show and Goose's job was to keep up with SuperDave's ol' 52 M135....... and all we could do is watch him pull away.

P8090264.jpgP8090265.jpg

More pics up later on the MV spotted thread.

cmpman

Did you get any shots of the PPCLI bren gun carriers? One is from Shilo, and there should have been one from Edmonton. I did a little bit of work on the Shilo one.

cmpman

Yep, three more. They are all for parts though as all of the hulls (except maybe one) have been fairly butchered. I have a complete one already, so for me these are just for sustainability of the present carrier.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PPCLI Carrier

Is this the carrier? Real nice if it is. Even held the buttons back on my jacket before I leaned into it, glad I did now.

P8090245.jpg

The hanger display was 100 years long so I snapped a lot of pictures. It's been a real honour to be part of the PPCLI celebration.

P8090254.jpg

Attachments

Section8

That would have been great to attend! The last time I was close to any green iron of any age was when I attended to a downed snow bird south of Moose Jaw in Saskatchewan. That was way back in late 1990's or early 2000's.
Was working as a paramedic back then.
Got a question for you Plowboy.
In some earlier posts in this thread and the unofficial G749 thread, the M135 that is gutted and on a platform in front of a maintenance building. What are the Diamond insignia representing?
I only ask because it just noticed them in the pictures. I was planning that same insignia being on my rig when it is repainted with a capital T behind it, ♦T.
It would be my ranch brand/name on the rig. Curious what the military used it for.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter

cmpman

Don't quote me, but usually a diamond indicates Headquarter Sqn of an Armoured unit. I went through a couple pages trying to find the photo you are talking about, but with this thread hitting 54 pages I had to give up. Can you tell me the post number?

I also just noted your discussion about the "high/lo" superstructure and tarpaulin from posts 517 and 518. When I check the NSNs of the parts applicable to this, they are all Canadian, which would indicate to me that they were purely a Canadian design, and would have been from the factory. It has gotten very difficult to find the tarps now with the extra level on them. I have an almost new one that needs repair, but even once I do get it it will be a shame to install it as I find canvas tarps are usually only good for about 10 years with todays sunlight.

Section8

The insignia in question is best seen in "the unofficial G749 picture" thread. Posting number 59 made by M1010plowboy. The open diamond insignia is seen on the left(driverside) of the front bumper and on the cab doors.
I was planning to do the exact same to my rig plus the T behind it but if it possibly gonna cause problems I may have to reconsider.

Last edited:

cmpman

It won't cause any problems. The DND does not have any copyright or claim on a diamond. It could be different if you were putting tri-service decals on the doors.

The markings on that truck are mostly fantasy, as are some of the modifications done to it.

Section8

Modifications? Aside from the windshield vents and civilian marker/signal lights. I don't recall much else for modifications. Unless out are referring to my dreams for my M135.
Glad I won't be pissing anyone off if the insignia is used on my truck.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What insignia would you run on an m135 cmpman?

With no military background I don't have a preference on what it should look look like. Would like my semi gloss od m135 and shop van to have a real story though.

PPCLI is important to me with my buddies serving with them. Looking for input.

cmpman

Section8: I am not referring to your deuce or your planned markings. It is your truck so you can do as you wish. Putting your ranch markings on it seems fitting enough.

M1010. I guess the best thing is to have preserved what markings were on the trucks when you found them. Otherwise, go hit up the unit's archives, and see what was on the vehicles for the time periods that you are interested in representing. If you are going to the 50s, then there was some color involved. For example, Brigade markings in Western Canada for the earlier period was a red square with a yellow maple leaf (not the modern flag maple leaf either, but rather the more realistic looking maple leaf of that time period). On the early paint scheme of semi gloss, you might have the CFR on the doors, and later you may have the mobile command decals or possibly the tri-service decals on the doors.

By the 70s, the markings (and paint) became much more subdued. They were also detailed out in orders what belonged on the trucks. You had the vehicle call signs on the door, the red and white Cdn flags front and back, the tire pressures were supposed to be over the wheel wells, and the bridge class which was normally on yellow. However, it was not uncommon to see the bridge class subdued in either black or grey. The Cdn flag was also quite often subdued as well, being stencilled on in black. But officially the flag was the red and white decal. The unit markings were just the black rectangle with the unit symbol inside. By symbol I mean the symbol as agreed in Nato, and not a crest.

Trucks were not named, other than sometimes jokingly in chalk. But you certainly did not show up on GOC's parade with your girlfriend's name or some rambo like name painted on your truck.

I see way too often where collectors add on every marking they can think of from several time periods trying to make their trucks look more military. If the collector's aim is to preserve some military history, then a little research can go a long way to doing that.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Original Shop Van Interior

Where does a guy find original interior pictures of the various 50's-80's shop van interiors?

Just trying to get an idea of the various uses and how one could set up an interior that may have been found in the field........and slept in.

Besides Patton, who else had a home on wheels dedicated to them and did any of you ever have the luxury of sleeping in the van, back in the day?

I'm coming out of the closet and finally admitting......... I slept with Gracie,

Shop Fire June 236.jpg

There's so much more room in this ole' thing then the closet had.

Shop Fire June 244.jpgShop Fire June 203.jpg

She came from Yellowknife with bells on so trying to make it look like it did when it was first in use would, in the very least, be educational.

Shop Fire June 243.jpgShop Fire June 208.jpg

The white paint which covered the original 'sea-foam'?? color was done well but I'd like to look at more options.

Shop Fire June 251.jpg

So if anyone has some old shop van photos archived or some memories and stories of the shop van I would appreciate the info.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks