• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Leaky diffs

Help me out. My bearings are all running in wheel bearing grease. They are packed. It takes about a pound per wheel. The outer seal keeps the oil out of the bearings, the inner keeps the grease out of the brakes. Where did your grease go?
I wish I knew, I'd like it back! I think it's here on the back of the wheel. The diff fluid must have gone down the valley. The inner seal had to be hole that it found to leak into the drum. With the spring gone and no damage on the rubber, bearings or races it happened quick and pretty recently. I washed the truck 10x last year and would have seen the leak, Marshall SuperDave would have seen the leak. It's a little bizarre, the other rears are fine. I can't find the cork so I'd like to know where that went too.

I'll put it back together using your seal trick instead of the cork and try it again.

This wasn't even the problem we were going after so even though I'm glad we found it, we were trouble-shooting the brakes........

Good ol' G749 challenges.

2015 115.jpg2015 128.jpg

You haven't seen a rear inner seal shred itself inside the hub before either?

cmpman

Anytime I have seen the spring off a seal, it was caused during the installation process while hammering it into place. That is why you put grease onto the spring area of the seal, so the spring doesn't pop out while driving it in. It is very easy the spring as a loose spring can remain somewhat centered while you are installing the hub.

A proper seal driver dreatly reduces the occurrence of spring loss.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm leaning toward installation of the hub onto the spindle during final assembly. I caught the lip on a Corporate 14 bolt on a 3/4 ton chevy and the spring came off..

I had my M211 grease get oiled and it looked like pudding inside. I cannot say it washed out cleanly like yours. Did you actually pack and assemble this wheel?

Last edited:

USMC 00-08

I just finished doing all the brakes on my M135 yesterday. None of my bearings were dry like that, but they were sure soaked in gear oil. Looks to me like all your grease is on the oil shield. I also did not have any of those seal springs come out or have to pull hard to get the hubs off.

I did use this in addition to the cork, so hopefully the two together will work better than just the cork.
100_2491.jpg

As of yesterday, I pumped my differential oil on all axles down to about 1 inch below the bottom lip of the fill hole in an attempt to cut down on the leaks. When I did this, I took the truck on a drive and noticed that oil was not leaking out of my middle axle pinion seal anymore. Maybe this will keep it out of the bearings too. Time will tell I guess.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Leaky diffs

Thanks for the extra eyes gentlemen. Found a limo driving mechanic to come help but he's never seen anything go bad like that. We're just going to stay sharper on replacement and be sure to pack the seal spring pocket before assembly.

g7492015 009.jpg

The rears were done by my certified Heavy duty HD mechanic neighbour, in his shop. He made me do most of the dirty work so I probably hand packed them but he did all the assembly. He loved the truck as much a man could and is concerned about the results as well. He's mad I let the grease out and thought I should have heard a 'clicking' sound if the bearings had been chewing on the spring.

IF, the spring was hooped from the beginning it could have just started showing symptoms when I did the highway run. Getting it hot may have compromised the cork and flooded the hub with the over-filled diff....

The other scenario is the cork popped first, washing the bearings. Bearings got warm on the highway run, grabbed the rubber and inhaled the spring. The spring opened the seal enough to start spraying at 50mph. There's no signs of blue heat in the bearings so other than the filings and dent I put in one on removal, damage is minimal. This WAS a dry truck.

Either way I should have seen the leak, heard the noise or inspected the bearings earlier by simply pulling the axles and having a peak . Corrective action and disciplinary procedure under way.

I checked the parts list and see we have CR Chicago Rawhide listed as the same part # as the TIMKEN bearings.

These are a common, stocked bearing so we'll have a supply for a long time, if I don't get to them first.

View attachment 561538View attachment 561539g749 bearings 004.jpgg749 bearings 001.jpg

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MV Bird house

I had to add a few pics to show off Gracie's new residents, right under the door to the bed, below the penthouse.

We saw the Robin fly out but the nest was deep so had to stick a camera in there to see if she was nesting or just trying to aggravate us. Gracie's gonna be a Mommy.

We'll use the Steel Soldier MVironmental process and leave the shop van alone until the little rats can walk, run or fly.

g7492015 003.jpgg7492015 004.jpgg7492015 001.jpgg7492015 005.jpg

Juskatla

Grandbaby Birds.... A few weeks and they will have flown the coup if they are like out here. I have a couple of nest around the property and am always happy to see them every year. This year, they decided that my stack of scaffold frames leaning against the shop was as available, so now there is a complete work stoppage for anything that requires those frames. Maybe next year...

On another somewhat related topic, there are three diffs listed on Craigs List for Comox BC if anyone is interested. All for $100. If anyone wants them, you make the deal and I can arrange to pick up and store until they can be collected from my place. I don't have any room left now, so a couple more diffs won't make any difference.

Jess

Edited to include the listing for the diffs under Heavy Equipment... http://comoxvalley.craigslist.ca/hvo/5034418909.html

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Diff leak trouble shoot

Looks like we had a second nest attempt on the front axle of Goose that either failed or was raided at some point. The birds like trucks and scaffold.

P5260251.jpgP5260232.jpg

Here are a few more pics for diagnostics. The new digital cameras are great. Here's a close up of the old and new inner seal. It definitely spun at some point but it's not destroyed like you'd think it would be if it happened long ago. The spring parts that are left will be put up for display unless someone wants to buy them as an abstract.

P5260242.jpgP5260248.jpgP5260241.jpgP5260240.jpg

Looks like I have a couple more parts numbers to add to the list.

P5260244.jpg

The outer hub seal is a National 9427-s.

The inner hub seal does not have a manufacturer but after a search for "2275398" seal found a bunch of suppliers...here's one
http://www.partsriver.com/2275398-72280291.html

Looks like the only thing left is to pick some grease and get after it.

One thing I'm missing is a decent 'Replacer' tool to get that inner seal driven in right, the first time.

Any tips, tricks or alternative replacer devices you guys have used in successful seal insertions if you've ever successfully inserted a seal??

P5260239.jpg

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M135 Storage stands

Those stands are now going on the list of things to do. There's always some warm days in the winter a guy can fire up but might not be able to drive around in 9 feet of snow. Thanks for the info.

We're now thinking that we parked the truck on a side slope and left it sitting while pictures were taken. We don't push the asphalt queen but did climb some hills in the fall.

Posing on a side slope might be something we can avoid to help keep the rears dry.

hill climb 135.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
......and I picked the yellow labelled, Pennzoil Red grease to keep the red/yellow color theme going too. You're just looking out for what's best for the trucks so we should treat you to a lemonade :beer:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Leaky diffs

That was easy, thank great mechanics! Passed a dear that was grazing in the ditch on the way out to assemble the 135 hub. Asked a knowledgeable MVPA brother to come and supervise, I knew it was going to be a good day.

g749 brakes 15 002.jpg

Might have found a few contributing factors that helped wash out the hub bearings.

Earlier in the thread I posted pics of these after market outer gaskets that we used in the original rebuild. They are wider than the NOS gaskets 7411265 and we did not trim the inside edge when we installed them. I'm not saying, I'm just saying (Brian Hall) that it might have trapped oil and helped it get past the seal......thoughts, opinions, support, ideas?

P5310258.jpgP5310259.jpg

We used the narrower NOS gaskets for this round and will monitor.

The other issue picked up with help from the MVPA troop that came to over-see the rookie.....was a gap between the axle and the seal.
The picture isn't great but it looks like a manufacturing cut where the tang comes into the tang groove. You'd need to dump the truck on its side to get axle oil that high and leak through that wee Irish hole. Are they all like that?........check your holes for me guys, no dirty pictures.

P5310257.jpg

Just something else to add to the list of things to watch for.

To be sure I had fewer issues than normal I grabbed this funky seal banging kit. It was $99.00 at Princess Auto. If you're ever up north and need to bang in some seals, I have the clubs.

replacer tool 002.jpgreplacer tool 001.jpg

Setting the hub nuts was done by a pro, someone wiser then myself, someone older and a super guy that went out of his way to make sure Goose met spec. The TM said shake the tire and if it doesn't wiggle, do it over, it's too tight. It also includes the torque specs right there in the how to hub paragraph. We need a Hub Nut Wrench that will fit a 1/2" drive torque wrench to get to the proper torque when setting the hub nuts in the G749s.

Still checking for brake leaks but had no further issues setting up the brakes or bleeding the system.

Test drive included a visit with Gracie, then a 4 mile, back road visit to Steel Soldier Seano11 and the off-road boys at T.O.R.E

g749 brakes 15 012.jpgg749 brakes 15 004.jpgg749 brakes 15 006.jpgg749 brakes 15 005.jpg

Last edited:

USMC 00-08

Holes

All of mine looked that way too. I put some gasket maker around that area but not enough to get into the wheel bearings. Not sure it if will help, but that is what I did.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Historical Journey

Took the same 12 mile drive that my Grandparents would take on horseback in the early 1900's. It's only 115 years later but I finally found time to give a little back and run Goose into Stony Plain for the Farmers Day Parade tomorrow. This is a beautiful little town with a ton of history so it is worth a visit. My Grandmas family would come into this town with furs from the local Cree Indian and trade for goods, not that long ago. The town is painted with it's history.

P6051136.jpgP6051137.jpgP6051135.jpg

The local MVPA was invited out to provide 5 units for troop carrying and a few more for a static display so stick around for pictures tomorrow.

I staged Goose at a friends house in Stony Plain and his wife was the first to take a quick tour. She says it shifts smoother than her BMW.

P6051123.jpgP6051134.jpg

It was a hard winter on Goose and even after a bath I had dirt residue that will require a spit and polish. No need for polish under the wheel wells.......still shines like a rolled on, brushed over Endura Polyurethane paint. This crazy car wash in Stony had some serious pressure at $2.00/ minute so peeled a bit of paint but she's nice and clean at the hubs for easy inspections.

After washing the hubs with high pressure water I was aware that the brakes might be light after being wet, and they were. It's just a good idea to ride the brake for a few seconds or however long it takes to dry the water off the pads, before you actually need them. I still find my self touching the brake pedal hundreds of feet before every red-light or stop sign just to be sure they're still there....who's paranoid?

P6051128.jpgP6051124.jpgP6051132.jpgP6051130.jpgP6051131.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stony Plain Farmers Day Parade

The Stony Plain Parade Highlights:

The Stony Plain Legion were amazing hosts. 6 months of organizing to an amazing finish line meal, great folks.
We were very close to the front of a 1 1/2 hour long parade.
The Feds sent a Mercedes to join us and after the event we staged for lunch then they convoyed with us to the next town.......for Jacks Inn Icecream
The parade route was packed
We had an unusual mix of MV's
The kids were smiling
The weather was ideal around 72°f
After the parade, Goose performed tail gun duty behind the jeeps on the 26 mile journey from Stony Plain to Edmonton at a happy 40 mph.
All the Veterans rode in luxury in the jeeps and command car while Goose carried Lolly Pops, Double Bubble gum and Water

....and I could go on, here are the pics

2015 stony 053.jpg 2015 stony parade 005.jpg 2015 stony parade 007.jpg 2015 stony parade 013.jpg 2015 stony 030.jpg2015 stony 032.jpg 2015 stony 033.jpg 2015 stony 035.jpg 2015 stony 055.jpg 2015 stony parade 004.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
June 6 Stony Plain Parade

This is the lady driven BMW that doesn't shift as good as the M135. Don't buy a beamer, buy an early deuce.

2015 stony 070.jpg

An under hood picture of the Canadian Military G-wagon.

2015 stony 082.jpg

The Gama Goat

2015 stony 085.jpg2015 stony 039.jpg

A nice Willys that stopped for ice-cream.

2015 stony 087.jpg2015 stony 086.jpg

Some styling MV Owners

2015 stony 088.jpg

Home Sweet Home

2015 stony 096.jpg2015 stony parade 021.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Preservation

We had such a great day at the G749 farm I had to share some pictures....but first, some serious business!

Goose is continuing to juice and the amount is no longer acceptable.

P6171322.jpg

I'd like to wheel down the highway and not have a wrecker on standby so the options are few. Goose wants a new transmission and motor. We've put a pile of work into the brakes and steering so it's a strong truck, with a bodily fluid control problem. We added some stp oil treatment to the motor and it seems to hold oil now, but the trani doesn't. Sure would like a few more weeks of fun before a one day engine/trani swap.

There are some Lucas products that claim to plug seals in your transmission but I can't be sure it's compatible with an 'engine oil' fed trani.

Don't think' I have much to lose trying some chemicals first so has anyone had success with transmission additives stopping leaks?

There is a new crate engine in the barn so the easiest thing to do is mate it with an NOS transmission that someone will find in their garage. I haven't shopped one out yet but after seeing DocLog's transmission story, I'm thinking that it's almost time.

crate 302.jpg

At the G749 farm, the starter give up last year on the M207 shop van so once again, had some great help pulling it out and working on fuel filters. The maintenance tag in the glove box suggests it's time for PM's. This starter has only been on the truck for two years and the teeth don't look happy. It wouldn't stay engaged and was making a nasty grinding noise so we'll take it apart....and leave it in pieces, in a box, forever.

farm 15 024.jpg

We even left the wasp nest hanging on the horn wires thinking that once we air up, they'll want to listen to the horn.

Anyone know if wasps have ears?

farm 15 023.jpg

It was supposed to rain all day but the clouds split over the farm and the sun didn't set until 2200hrs. So beautiful I had to share.

farm 15 025.jpg farm 15 027.jpg farm 15 020.jpg farm 15 012.jpg farm 15 010.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks