• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

Section8

Hmmm. Sucks getting old and having uncontrollable leaks...
As for the tranny leak. I have never heard anything good about tranny additives.
They sometimes do the job and most often cause the problem of gumming things up. Had on old 86 chevy 1500 that I put an additive in to stop some seepage since I didn't want to pull the pan and change the gasket. It stopped the seepage but when I later checked the dip stick I found a big gob of gunk on the end. Pulled the tranny pan then and found a caramel colored gummy mess in the pan.
Just my experience with additives. Take it or leave it.
On another note....
Still have this 302 (not running) with tranny still attached, Which still worked as far as I was told, sitting here looking for its Alberta home.
Another tranny option if you want.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Goose leaks and Goose Bumps

We're running 30wt non-detergent cheap oil. I might use this as an opportunity to test some products. Gumming up the transmission at this point, with the noise, rattles and silverish oil won't be too big of an issue.....besides, Section 8 army dismissal, not section 8 housing made my day with the thought of another salvageable transmission.

farm 15 015.jpg

The MVPA boys tore down a transmission that they tried running ATF in and found excessive wear and metal so ATF is not happening. There is a thread that talks about a product from International Harvestor ....something about hydroil??? I'll hunt it down later.

Meanwhile, the CCDMA AGM was held yesterday and Goose went to the Library.........This can't be a first! Any other deuces go to the library? We now have a flag with the Edmonton Civil Defense logo matching the doors.

ccdma 006.jpgccdma 004.jpg

Had some bumps appear under the magnetic stickers so if you're running magnetic stickers on your Polyurethane paint.....you may get Goose bumps. The bumps are hard, like the paint cooked but it was on the shade side of the truck too so we'll pull the decals and hope they go away. The rainbow at the end of the trip can only mean....its raining and sunny all at the same time.

ccdma 014.jpg ccdma 017.jpg ccdma 009.jpg ccdma 010.jpg ccdma 007.jpg

SturmTyger380

I found a dusty 5 gals of IH Hy-Tran at a local farm supply store and got that. Have not got the truck moving yet so can't report on performance.

The dealer said that Case bought out International Harvester and it's now called Case/IH Hy-Tran.

Then he said there are more modern trans fluids that are better. I have learned that not always modern oils and old equipment are a good mix.

Plus he tried to get me to buy his chepo brand cause local guys buy it when their tractors start being leakers.

Alan

Juskatla

Case tractor power shuttles use/used a Case proprietory fluid labelled TCH, then Hytran and Hytran Ultra. No idea who the actual manufacturer is for this product. I have a '68 Case 580CK with the power shuttle and only use Hytran Ultra. After a change to Ultra, the shuttle clutches seemed to work better and with much reduced slippage. Your results may differ for the GMC Hydramatic trans but todays formulations offer a wide range of choices to meet specifications. Its a study in itself and someone may already have done the homework. Hope the Hytran does the job for you.

USMC 00-08

I used the cheapo brand since there was no Hy-tran locally available at the time. :oops: The information with it said that it meets all the Hy-tran stuff.

Sure seems to work better than the ATF that was in it. Time will tell I guess.

Here is some info on what I used.

Super Tech Heavy-Duty Tractor Hydraulic and Transmission Fluid is specially formulated with only the finest quality, high-viscosity index base oils and an advanced and rigorously tested additive system to deliver unsurpassed protection and performance. It offers exceptional protection against wear from microscopic contaminants and higher operating temperatures and pressures, and ensures long equipment life. This Super Tech transmission fluid contains critically balanced frictional characteristics that ensure precise clutch and wet brake operation with unsurpassed chatter suppression. It also prevents acid formation for exceptional protection against rust and corrosion and meets the following requirements: Allison C-4; John Deere J20A/B/C, J21A, Hygard J14 B/C, Type 303; Case JIC-145, Hy-Tran, MS-1207, 1208, 1209 and 1220; Caterpillar TO-2; Deutz Allis; Ford New Holland ESN-M2C134-D; International Harvester HY-Tran B-6; Kubota; and many more.

There are many arguments for and against using "cheaper" oil, but I have seen no proof from either argument. This is just what I chose to use.

Let the flaming begin...:burn:

SturmTyger380

The cheepo brands are not necessarily bad and they might work fine. If I had not stumbled on that old can of HI oil I might have gotten it.

Alan

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Friday night park and bark

Once again the A&W draws them in by the hundreds. Goose gets a ton of attention even with a drip pan under the middle. I had the biggest truck there until this showed up.

goose 035.jpg

A tribute to our Southern friends....and it's much easier to get away with then impersonating a local police car.

goose 027.jpggoose 028.jpg goose 031.jpg

A bit of green in every shot.

goose 026.jpg goose 011.jpg goose 014.jpg goose 015.jpg goose 021.jpg goose 001.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Preservation

Gracie the M207 has been hilarious since I parked her at the pond last fall. It was running strong but the starter packed it in so she wanted to camp near the lake all winter. Last week I pieced together a starter and it turns over real good but sounded like it wasn't getting spark. After confirming good spark on the new plugs I started chasing fuel.

I always put in-line filters on where they're easy to see and it filled when I hit the key but she still wouldn't fire. Putting a fire-extinguisher next to the truck, we pulled the intake pipe and put a cap full of fuel in the intake. Gracie fired up on one revolution and ran until the fuel went away. I removed the line to the screen inside the carb and that screen was spotless so put everything back together and this time she wouldn't even fill the in-line filter.

P6281349.jpgP6271343.jpgjuly cel 003.jpg

Removed the new in-line filter and she filled a 16oz cup in 10 seconds.........put everything back together and.....she won't fill the inline filter. That truck does not want to leave the pond.

I found a fuel pressure gauge on the shelf so next weekend I'll hook that up, test pressures, then hit the carb with a hammer, as per Stan.

Goose went for a Canada Day drive but I hope the crazy canucks that went with me got better pictures because I only got video.

Before Goose left the nest we did a little X spare a mint. We know the transmission will pack it in sooner or later with the metal hanging off the bell housing plug and the shiny oil so we added some Lucas oil to the slightly smoke damaged 30wt oil.

P7011364.jpgP7011365.jpgP7011361.jpg

We did a 20 mile run and we'll let her drip over night and check levels tomorrow.

I'm still sorting inventory after vacating the fire damaged shop and was lucky enough to see a pail of Hy-tran Ultra we bought years ago. I visited the International dealership here in Edmonton and should have visited the Case dealer instead as indicated on the label.

july cel 011.jpg

We'll run her for a while with the 30w /Lucas and post results before we threaten her with Case juice.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Early Deuce Transmission Leaks

Well....where is it? Just going to leave us hanging like that? :razz:

The time management team is working on that project. It's nice how the Steel Soldier and MVPA troops silently encouraged me to call my insurance company asking for permission for someone else to drive my truck so I can video record it driving by....then post in a public forum.

Need to be sure I'm all legal and held harmless before I post some of the craziness we got away with last night......had an engineer take the wheel to get some feedback on how she shifts.....pretty crazy hey?....that should be eh? It was Goose with a caboose on the loose. He was all serious for the first 30 seconds then after the first corner there was only a grin.

Early Deuce Transmission Leaks..................

Here's the Edmonton dealer that carries Hy-tran if a G749 decides to go that way. http://www.rockymtn.com/branch/03-edmonton

Sat beside a retired transmission shop owner today and we browsed the manual.

The oil leak trouble shooting page says I need to notify my "ordnance maintenance personnel". Which one of you guys is that?

Our leaky transmission problems on the G749 comes from abuse, time and leaving the trucks sit for extended periods. A transmission guy will talk about the flex-plate, the weight of the oil in the torus and the level of oil licking at the seals as they all work against 2 oil barriers in this picture.

P7021369.jpg

The solution will come as I get to know how these transmissions actually work but my retired transmission guy say's "We'll find parts and fix up a few transmissions......over time......maybe even next year". Driving them or mounting the trucks on stands so they can be run more often would be a big help.

This brings up the ethical management of our trucks and how a guy, or girl, decides when the leaks require a shut-down?

Meanwhile, as time permits we'll do the tests on the next page of the manual to be absolutely sure where the Goose Juice is coming from.

P7021370.jpg

The first indicators of the Lucas Oil treatment has been, Improved shift over-all, quicker shift from 2 to 3 and less dripping while under motion and parked for short periods. This is the result of parking for 17 hrs.

goose cel drip 005.jpg

USMC 00-08

Looks like there are several of us wanting to learn how to rebuild these transmissions now. Too bad we all didn't live closer so we could gather on a weekend and start learning.

Plowboy..does your transmission guy happen to know where we can find rebuild parts that are readily available?

SturmTyger380

USMC 00-08

That is great news!! Do you mind telling what the master rebuild kit cost you?

If we can narrow down what kit and bands we need, I'll add them to our parts list.

Thanks Alan!

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, Someone needs to take a transmission apart and compare parts. I only have a good one or I would.
Many moons ago someone told me the military trans was different internally. I'm really interested to see.
It would be great if this works out! Everyone has the transmission fear hanging overhead...

drlogistics

I've got a completely torn down trans in my garage in a couple Rubbermaid bins. When it was in the truck it wouldn't shift passed 2nd gear. I took it out and had a trans shop look at it. They quoted me $2500 to fix it. That's why it's still torn down. It would be great to rebuild it myself and have a spare working trans as a back up. Let's get this done guys!

SturmTyger380

When I talked to the guys at Fatsco they sounded like the knew all about the parts for these transmissions.

Not shifting to 2nd sounds like weak oil pump or an obstruction. There is a debug section in that PS Mag in the stickies about these transmissions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks