• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

SturmTyger380

I found a kit from them on e-pay. This looks just like the kit I bought. It does not have the oil pump parts or the bands.

Search
[h=1]Hydramatic Automatic Transmission Rebuilding Kit[/h]

Last edited by a moderator:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Early Deuce Transmission

Plowboy..does your transmission guy happen to know where we can find rebuild parts that are readily available?

SturmTyger may have the sources so it will be interesting to see if my Richard Gere look alike transmission guy, can add to it. He did say that the parts he ordered back in the day came from the United States.

We're tied up until next week on a project together but he said, "If I can give him part numbers he'll check for a contact list". I did a little jabbing at him today by passing him this book with all our survey notes for his property on it. So if he wants his survey info......I'll need the contact list. :wink:

P7031141.jpgP7031140.jpg

Cone Clutches were bad words for some reason so that could be a something we need to beat down.

P7031143.jpgP7031144.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Terrh's better half here,
I've made an account on here specifically because Terrh wanted me to upload the pictures from our ride along. http://imgur.com/tGMud4Q,ooTsprA,JPRuIXc,0UzxlCe

Not sure if that worked but there you go.
Welcome to Steel Soldiers Terrh's waaaaaay better half. I know you high tech, smart phone kids will find a way to load those pics straight to the site.......but if you want to come over and use this old man's 2004 HP computer so it works easier, the door's open! Those are some smoking pics with the sun through the cab so you're the new photographer now.

I see the Terror tried again so what works for me is plugging my phone into an old computer then either loading them directly from the phone or to the puter.

You may need to "Go Advanced" in the bottom right corner of this square box thingy then click on the paper clip which will bring up a "Manage Attachment" page. Then these bubble boxes pop up with the word "Browse" in them...I just trimmed my browse.... Anyway, after you click on browse then you hunt through whatever device you have for images....

Again, welcome to the Steel Soldier site and thanks for letting Goose, Goose ya.

SturmTyger380

Okay, I got off my arse and found the box with the Fatsco kit in it. When I talked to them on the phone a year ago, I described what I had and they understood and sent the two kits. I had them add the metal and fiber plates to the shipment too as at one time I heard these wear out. The bands are like brake bands and have a liner so I would figure they would wear out some day as well. They say they have the bands but I did not get them at that time. The front band is what you are adjusting when you check the height of screws on the top of the transmission and make it level with the housing. I am guessing each time it needs adjusting some of the liner material has worn off. Here are the pictures:

Reduction Kit:

Fatsco-A.jpg

Fatsco-B.jpeg

Fatsco-C.jpg

Fatsco-C1.jpeg

Primary Kit

Fatsco-D.jpg

Fatsco-E.jpeg

Fatsco-F.jpg

Metal and Fiber Disks

Fatsco-H.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 plug and wire cleaning

The M135 is down to dripping less than 1/4 of a litre, which is less than a beer's worth, overnight. It's no testimonial for Lucas yet because old Goose just got back from one of the best runs the big 6 ton truck ever had.....so we'll see how much it leaks over-night.

P7041154.jpg

I decided to pull plugs and let the retired neighbour/electrician re-tape the wires and check continuity. A couple of wires on the distributor cap were loose so that needs to be picked up on my PM's. Most of the plugs were clean with that chocolate milk brown color on them. A few plugs were slightly out of gap and only #6 had any signs of oil on it.

P7131198.jpg

The confined space on the distributor cap really demands that a person get the proper wrench for R&R. I clearly hit one of the threaded fittings (the last one) on the cap while wrenching the other wires on. There was no way the last wire was going on so I had to use a punch on the inside of the connector to make it round again and chase the threads with a hack-saw blade.....hack----saw. The way to avoid this is to not hit the distributor threads with the big 3/4" wrench!!

P7131194.jpg

Not many pictures of the evening success getting the big M207 shop van moving. It didn't take an engineer to squirt enough gas down the carb to finally keep running......or did it?

It did take an engineer to check the gas and guess the 4" in the tank just wasn't enough so adding 10 gallons was all she needed......yup, fill-er up with gas and go.....I'm so thankful for good mechanics and now....engineers too. :beer::beer:

P7121165.jpgP7121167.jpg

cmpman

Wires on the M-series do not have to be tightened right down. Simply tightening them by hand with an extra turn or two will seat the rubber on the wire to prevent water ingress. While it is not a big issue if the cap end is tight, you will find that if somone over-tightens the wires at the plugs, when you go to remove them the plug will turn instead of the nut on the wire. Now you have to take the wire off the cap, and turn the plug and wire out as an assembly. Seems like I am forever cursing guys who have overtightened the wires at the plugs.

The proper wrenches for doing the wires are available at several mil-surp dealers for $15 to $25. I have one at home and one at work...they are almost irreplaceable. You can also use a 3/4" crowfoot socket if you find one of the right design to fit between the cap terminals.

I am busy today putting all new brake cylinders, master cyinder and airpack into my deuce along with a total repack of all the wheel bearings. The cylinders looked brand new, but after sitting for almost 30 years, they are solid.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It did take an engineer to check the gas and guess the 4" in the tank just wasn't enough so adding 10 gallons was all she needed......yup, fill-er up with gas and go.....I'm so thankful for good mechanics and now....engineers too.
Yep, found out early on when I first got one that after I pulled my tank and cleaned it that these are empty with 4+ gallons of gas in them.
I didn't figure it out till I had pulled the fuel pump for the second time. aua

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M135 transmission

Not many car show pictures due to many distractions but I had to share the Renault Alpine that I've never seen.....and the Iltis.

P7171205.jpgP7171207.jpgP7171204.jpgP7171202.jpg

Goose is still loosing less than a beer after sitting overnight and after another 100 miles, I dropped a litre of 30wt non-detergent in her. The truck has never been this good. shhhhh. Amazing what 'clean and tight' will net you. The shift between 2nd and 3rd has a slight delay....especially compared to Gracie the M207 which shifts like a Porsche Carrera GT. Some of the regular chatter has gone away and all other gear changes, up and down, are crisp. The day is early and I just found out that 2 hours at an average of 30 miles an hour is 60 miles:-D....so I'm going to go test it again.

P7041154.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M207

Bambi patrol came out to make sure we were working on the M207 at the G749 farm this weekend.

P7181210.jpg

We also had a CCDMA visitor to the G749 farm and he has some photography experience. We're hoping to get some cool video clips together using the drone but for now here are a few where's Waldo shots and the M207 posing.

P7191243.jpgP7191217.jpgP7191218.jpgP7191221.jpgP7191231.jpgP7191246.jpgP7191254.jpgP7191250.jpgP7191213.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sharing the G749

Quietly pulled the transmission dipstick and the oil is clean and full. So far, so good.

cel 034.jpg

So it's off to the show with a few more pieces of Green in every pic. A few more Rat Rods showing up and representing the right color.

cel 042.jpgcel 045.jpgcel 044.jpgcel 051.jpg cel 049.jpg cel 020.jpg

Can you spot the Gama Goat behind all the shiny stuff. The Goat came to see the Goose.

cel 048.jpg

This 409 would look good in a Deuce.

cel 050.jpg

Goose still attracts a pile of military folks that served in Canada up to the late 80's along with the G749. The guy looking Goose over in this picture first rode in an M135 when he was two, while in Germany with his Dad. We went for a drive but he just kept saying, oh...wow, oh...wow! I can only imagine the memories our serving members have when they jump in the M135.

cel 046.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Character

Tonight was all about the character.

I picked up the community league big cheese and his kid and hauled them to A&W for the Friday show....and what a show.

By the time we landed the kid said everyone has the same look on their face when we drive by.....I made him show me the look again.

P7311253.jpg

This snappy Unimog, which ran in Edmonton's Klondike days parade, was holding the Canadian flag. It was a calm night but just as I started to take pics, a little breeze brought it to attention. Not sure why that made me think of my military buddies, but I'm sure glad it did.

P7311244.jpgP7311243.jpgP7311242.jpg

Then this character shows up and decides to do some posing.

P7311256.jpgP7311258.jpg

Then the ex of 20 years ago shows up so I took her and her husband for a wheel in the big 6X.....She's a character.

P7311257.jpg

Once again, someone representing the LEO's from our brothers to the south.

P7311233.jpgP7311232.jpg

......and green trucks, woodland......yaaaaaaaa

P7311254.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Emergency Brake Cracks

We can officially delegate one M135 to the database as an engine stand. The old 1952 M135xxx1174 came to the farm missing most of her parts so we set her up next to the P-4 ready for a crate engine and a re-built transmission, someday, soon. We'll pull the cab, attach a few gauges, add fuel and battery platforms and we should have an engine/ trani stand, someday.

cel farm 003.jpg

It did come with a few extra parts as well as a perfect example of why we inspect the Emergency Brake Drum. It looks good with old eyes but a closer look and a fancy camera later, the cracks are obvious. The story was, one of these detonated at speed, took out the brake lines causing an incident. Inspect your e brake drums.

july 15 359.jpgjuly 15 358.jpgjuly 15 357.jpg

A couple of shots of the move from the Temporary Storage Area TSA to the Closer To The Washroom and Easier to Work On It Area CTTWAETWOIA.

cel farm 014.jpgcel farm 015.jpgcel farm 012.jpgcel farm 011.jpgcel farm 009.jpg

The CCDMA Facebook page has a bunch of pics of the G749 farm and the M207 shop van so here's the link.

https://www.facebook.com/CanadianCivilDefenceMuseumAsscociation/photos_stream

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks