• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What kind and color of paint are they using? Looks good.
This should be interesting....the build team went to Cloverdale before they talked to me. It's the same place I bought paint for the shop van. My paint code was actually pulled out of the "original enamel code" they provided to the military in the 50's. The paint code for the shop van is on this page.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?52255-G749-preservation/page56

The new build team took a sample in, had a matching Industrial Enamel made up and put in spray cans. He's going to get me his code so we'll see if the numbers match up. They had a low gloss added for preservation sake.

Looks like there is a U.S. dealer http://www.cloverdalepaint.com/abou...contact-us/international-sales-representative

Section8

Awesome!!!
Hehehehehe. Gonna see if I can get my mill to order a 5 gallon pail. They are buying tons of speed enamal paint for an expansion build of the planer and sort bins.
If I slip a print out of this into the pile of out going orders you never know what will happen! Bwahahahaaha!!
Is it just me or is Gracie high in the shop by the cab and lower at the rear? I know she I sitting on a bit of a hill h it the roof line of the shop looks sloping front to rear.
I thought they wear even front to rear.
Research time!!!
There is an M109 box sitting in Kamloops......
Boy would my wife be in trouble if we had more of a different kind of green. One of every thing please!!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Stance / Rake

Awesome!!!

Is it just me or is Gracie high in the shop by the cab and lower at the rear?
It must be an illusion....Certainly looks like the right rear is deflated but we have big gophers so she's probably in a hole. Not sure if there is a MV term for it but the bro always called it the "Rake". I'm a landscaper, I know what a rake is. It attaches to the front of my bobcat.

Which color green should we pick?

2015 trucks farm sec 387.jpg

Section8

Hmmm tough choice!!!
I am a little partial to the lighter olive drab which is seen in the old combat green uniforms before the God awful digital stuff came out.
However my eyes keep getting drawn to the M211 in the pic. I am not really a big fan of the tri color camo paint style but that one draws my attention.
I can't deny drooling for hours over your pics when you first stripped, primed and repainted Goose.

USMC 00-08

I like the original OD a lot. If those other two are real military camo, why not paint them back how they are. They look neat I think.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hydromatic front band adjustment

Who has played with their hydromatic,,,,, front band adjustment?????

The way I'm reading it, the 'measurement' must be done with the truck running......in gear.

It says so on the bottom of page 352 and at the top of page 354 it doesn't say......put truck in neutral or 'shut er down'.

I started cleaning today but it gets dark at night so back at it tomorrow. It's a tough spot to get at but finally loosened the B' Indicator pin plug with a 1/2" socket and a swivel drive....then I shut er' down. Looks easy enough even for a farmer but would like to be sure I'm reading this right!

P5050222.jpgP5050221.jpgP5050220.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 front band adjustment

Just as the book says! When the truck is running, in gear, wheels chocked, E-brake adjusted and engaged, the pin can be seen.

It's a dirty little spot to get into so being 'on-grid' with a pressure washer would be a good start. This is how it looks before a soak in Super-Clean and a quick wipe-down.

cel goose trans 004.jpg

Once it was cleanish, it's a 1/2" wrench to remove the cover. Fire up the truck, I should say...start the truck as per the book and the pin can be seen waaay down the hole.

P5060243.jpg

Using your skinny arms and a pile of leverage, a 3/4" wrench is used to loosen the lock nut around the adjuster screw. I grabbed a 7/16" wrench to turn the 'adjuster' out....but don't do that...... You'll smack your head on the door edge climbing out of the truck to go grab a 3/8" wrench which is the correct size. A good mechanic would have taken all the wrenches in the cab with him or her.

The body position is from the passenger side, seat up, on your knees, head leaning against the shifter tower, holding a light, using the 3/4" wrench to hang onto the lock nut while the 3/8" wrench turns out the adjuster nut. In my case I did 2 1/2 full turns before the pin was level with the trans case. Easy job actually.

P5060240.jpgP5060237.jpg

It was so easy I had time to beat the mud-flap brackets flat using a punch on the inside and a weee hammer to get things straight. Goose finally got her first set of mud-flaps and went to see what kind of trucks actually need mud-flaps.
The 2 to 3 shift is better but only had time for a quick run so more testing required.

cel goose trans 006.jpgP5060244.jpgP5060248.jpg

USMC 00-08

Are those NOS mudflaps or did you cut new ones? My trucks need them too. If you made new ones, how did you do it?

Interested to see how Goose shifts when you get more time to test. That pin seemed waaay down there.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like Goose gets more cosmetic attention than the others. =)
Goose doesn't like to get her hands dirty anymore so it's good to have friends that do, http://www.totaloffroadexperience.com/ https://www.facebook.com/Xtreme-Offroad-115567381893023/

Are those NOS mudflaps or did you cut new ones? My trucks need them too. If you made new ones, how did you do it?

Interested to see how Goose shifts when you get more time to test. That pin seemed waaay down there.
Those are NOS flaps, still have primer on them and one came with a bracket. If you check the steel part of the flap you might still have the metal bracket that holds the rubber. I had to fight to get the old broken rubber out but surprised myself with the flat chisel and hammer to get the channel real straight again. I did cheat on the top of the rubber flap and thinned it down with a grinder so it sat in the groove better and helped the holes line up.

I'm going to run her on Monday so I'll let you know. I thought it was done last year but the Lucas seems to have kept the oil in over the winter. Think I'll drive her till she drops.....in a parade, in-front of hundreds of people. :D

:tigger:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We're 270 miles south with 100 miles of farm-land between us and the Boreal Forest. Grandpa was brilliant to settle on the prairies and not up there. I've been updating here http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?28798-How-Cold-Hot-is-it-Where-You-Live/page591

Most of the populated areas have all ready been evacuated and burned over but it's hitting 156,000 hectares ....385,000+ acres in 5 days.....just nuts.
http://globalnews.ca/news/2686610/f...evacuate-shelters-and-head-south-on-saturday/

My best bud is a Fire-tech up there and Tuesday Morning he sent me a picture from his balcony. It didn't look bad but they knew you don't stop a fire in the forest.
He hasn't sent a text in 3 days so we know they're busy, but they'll be OK. We've got a few SS angels hauling goods up north and today the firefighters requested...cigarettes, foot powder, dry boots and eye-wash bottles. Even though the supply lines for equipment, food and water are strong, those odd essentials aren't always considered. SS member Terrh and his sweeter half have been hauling goods up there for days, coordinating needs and blowing the MV fund on others. Amazing kids!

There will be more survival videos to come but searching Fort Mcmurray fire, as you know, is an eye opener.

Here is a time-lapse at my buddies command base https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grpIPJKT0xs

......a few more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzi68azoQDY

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=862277

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saturday we were in southern Minnesota. (Yes, in pursuit of junk.) When we hit Wisconsin about 3 pm we could not even see the ridge lines of the hills off in the distance. The winds must have pushed the smoke right down on top of us.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 parts and parts and parts

Saturday we were in southern Minnesota. (Yes, in pursuit of junk.) When we hit Wisconsin about 3 pm we could not even see the ridge lines of the hills off in the distance. The winds must have pushed the smoke right down on top of us.
That was our smoke, sorry about that, darn quader kids smokin' out the USA. The winds have been blowing to the S.E. and the Sat maps showed it almost in Florida. Here's a vid from inside the City today. http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...h-and-the-non-uniformed-are-arrested-on-sight

We were in the Boreal picking up a truck and a few parts but it's cooled down, rained a wee bit and had a perfect day to grab some more pics. I'll paste them here for the G749 Preservation continuation.

cel g749 parts 024.jpgcel g749 parts 022.jpgcel g749 parts 021.jpgcel g749 parts 017.jpg

Some oddball items in the mix.

cel g749 parts 015.jpgcel g749 parts 014.jpg

USMC 00-08

That carburetor rebuild manual is very handy. I have one and couldn't have done my rebuild right without it. You guys really did well on finding all that stuff.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Pervertnation

One of the big goals for the G749 Preservation Farm was getting 3 trucks moving for a historical convoy. It's turning out that I no longer need to foot that bill myself. This ol' 55 belongs to a friend and was real close to joining Goose and Gizmo in an upcoming parade. The transmission and motor were being grumpy so they fell out today.

P5170005.jpgP5170008.jpg

With a crate engine and transmission still sitting in the barn and Goose happily hanging in there, I thought it was best that the new parts get slid into my buddies truck. It gives the new kids some time to do a complete re-build and it won't delay my goal of a 3 G749 convoy.

Still have big plans for Gracie but we'll take this one truck at a time and try to keep up with pics on the new power going into the 55'.

cel lopo 013.jpg cel lopo 005.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Crate engine/ transmission installation

This poor boy thought he'd need to spend the next couple of weekSS tearing down an engine and transmiSSion. Instead he drove out of the G749 farm with a NOS engine and transmission today so I'm going to need a bit of help coming up with a caption for the expression on his face.

P5180011.jpg

That Boy's Happier Than A_______________________________!

......a pig in a pile of manure!

These G749 engine crates are huge. They are so big we were able to put a P-4 on top to hold it down for the ride.

P5180012.jpgP5180009.jpg

With it heading out of the yard I was wondering just how long it will take to get it mated to the re-built transmission, slid back in the truck and have all the little parts popped back into place?

P5180013.jpg

Our first official Legion supporting parade is on June 11th. It's only 2 miles away from where these guys are working on the 55'. With two 56' M135's already signed in, getting this one rolling will mean an Early Deuce convoy with 3 trucks so these guys need some cheerleaders.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks