• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1st official parade run of 2016. We hauled the WW11 Dodge out to a staging area 22km's, uphill from the Stony Plain Heritage Days parade route. We didn't have time to be on time...but we had time to stop for coffee.

P6040470.jpg

The Dodge hooked up with 3 Deuces and uphill we went.

P6040477.jpg

The parade route was packed. Somewhere in the crowd was a ton of family who said it took nearly 2 hours for the fleet of MV's, tractors, firetrucks and so many more folks entertaining this little town 30 miles west of Edmonton. Our local MVPA group was representing the Stony Plain legion and what an honour to carry so many decorated Veterans.

P6040493.jpgP6040478.jpgP6040479.jpgP6040480.jpgP6040487.jpg

The Dodge decided it wanted to try and drive the 50 miles back home. With only 20 miles to go, just at the right moment, in heavy traffic, on one of the busiest 3 lane freeways running through Edmonton, the Dodge decided to park. As per typical protocol, we always travel with at least 2 units. The Iltis and the Dodge command car were in convoy and Iltis managed to tug the Dodge to a safe loading spot. The recovery truck and trailer in Canadian Flag colours responded from 40 miles away and carried the spoiled little Dodge home.

P6040514.jpg P6040512.jpg

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2 jeeps, the Command Car and 3 Deuces showed up for this show. Hanging around 40's and 50's vintage MV's means having tow-straps on board....Justin Case. Everything seems to go better when all the safety gear is on-board and all the MV's performed flawlessly.

P6040474.jpg

After the parade we convoyed back to the Stony Plain legion with troops in tow for a complimentary lunch from the legion. We set up a little static display for a few hours and the kids hung around the MV's.

P6040494.jpg P6040507.jpg P6040508.jpg P6040502.jpg P6040506.jpg P6040504.jpg P6040501.jpgP6040499.jpg

Other than a minor fuel issue with the Dodge, another sweet MVPA / Steel Soldier day.

Another Ahab

Also, just out of curiosity, i'm noticing the bonnets on the young ladies and was just wondering:

- do you all have a Mennonite community up your way?

Juskatla

Nice turn out, plowboy; and excellent pics, thank you!

What is the rig in the middle (circled here)? I don't think I've ever seen one of these before: something U.K., a 3/4 ton?

View attachment 627251
That's an Iltis, built by Bombardier. They are not too fondly remembered by some of those who used them. Canadians were sent to Afganistan with those but after a few IEDs, they were replaced by something a little more suited to the environment. For an MV enthusiast, they are an inexpensive way to have a driveable military vehicle that have a lot of common parts with VWs. Their downfall is the rust and the fact they were used hard and long before being surplused.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, just out of curiosity, i'm noticing the bonnets on the young ladies and was just wondering:

- do you all have a Mennonite community up your way?
Hutterites, Mennonites, Aphrodites, Stalagtites, fraidaheights, satellites, minimites.....we got it all. I'm thinking that the ladies in the pictures just had a good Mom and protected the kids from the heat but there is definitely some crazy head gear up here.

thats awesome! Where did they have that done, and was it expensive? Looks like they came out really nice!

Mechanics must be one of the most patient species on the planet!

We are till we're not!
Finally dug up an answer for the cost on the ceramic coating......are you sitting down? $650.00 .....It's not bad considering the Goat boys just ordered an NOS exhaust manifold from an un-named supplier in the US and they billed him $850.00. The Goat boys are ordering parts on a 'needs assessment' basis and not concerned with costs but $850 for an exhaust manifold is kind of taking advantage of Canadian MV lovers. I won't mention names until I'm sure this wasn't just a misty-understanding or credits are coming. After the unobtainium exhaust manifold arrived, we found this one....hahahahaaaa.

P6080067.jpg

I really like that paint job on Gizmo.

Was the check valve bad in the old airpak or was it something else?
I'm still on this! I tried to pull the 1st tube off Gizmo's air-pak but it looked like we were going to snap the fitting. Found some PB blaster...which smells like transmission fluid and acetone or toluene..... and we're soaking it. We need to find some more kits for those pacs still.

Nice turn out, plowboy; and excellent pics, thank you!

What is the rig in the middle (circled here)? I don't think I've ever seen one of these before: something U.K., a 3/4 ton?

View attachment 627251
Since you already have your answer AA, why don't you teach us how you draw those red circles please. You're never around when I need a red circle drawn. Do you just save the pic in 'paint', do your artwork, then 'attach' into Steel Soldiers from the paint program? Guide me oh wise red circle one!

These Goat boys aren't afraid of nuttin! We dug an old TC out of the TC field at the G749 farm and it's already in pieces on the floor. Wish I had time to document the break-down process for future builds but I'm hoping once Goat's up and running, I can get the guru's to help me write up the solutions to all their G749 challenges.

P6080058.jpgP6080059.jpgP6080057.jpgP6080074.jpgP6080075.jpg

.....and the fuel tank.....so nice. Goat's juice tank was dropped off and the team over at Hunter did a schmokin' job of dipping and treating the inside...schpectacular work being done on this truck. http://hunterrad.com/ The preservation continues.

P6080069.jpgP6080068.jpgP6080070.jpg

SturmTyger380

PB blaster...which smells like transmission fluid and acetone or toluene
To me it smells like moth balls with some oil added.

Looks like rust soup in that one bearing. Yuck!

What kind of lining is in that tank? I have never seen red before.

USMC 00-08

It's not bad considering the Goat boys just ordered an NOS exhaust manifold from an un-named supplier in the US and they billed him $850.00. The Goat boys are ordering parts on a 'needs assessment' basis and not concerned with costs but $850 for an exhaust manifold is kind of taking advantage of Canadian MV lovers. I won't mention names until I'm sure this wasn't just a misty-understanding or credits are coming.
That sure seems really high! If those numbers are right, maybe some name dropping would be good so I know who not to do business with.

Do you think there would be any interest in the M809 series airpak power piston assembly that allows us to use the 5 ton rebuild kit if I can get them made at a reasonable price? I used one in my airpak since I couldn't find a G749 airpak rebuild kit and it is working very well.

Here is the difference. G749 is left, M54/M809 on the right. The external dimensions are the same. The internal is different. All the seals we need are in the 5 ton airpak rebuild kit if we use the larger piston.
Power pistons.jpg

Last edited:

Juskatla

Dave, Those TC parts look like they could be candidates for the molasses and water rust removal process. A friend does this for tracks and Sherman gear boxes and the bits come out like new. I have a small JD crawler that I am going to test out the theory on if I ever get caught up on the long line of projects. He uses 4 to 1 feed store molasses to water, cover it up and forget about it. Once all done, you can just wash out the tank on the lawn and no hazardous residue. I have a couple of M37 parts I will try it on sometime. My green stuff keeps getting further back in the shop....

Another Ahab

Dave, Those TC parts look like they could be candidates for the molasses and water rust removal process.

He uses 4 to 1 feed store molasses to water, cover it up and forget about it. Once all done, you can just wash out the tank on the lawn and no hazardous residue. I have a couple of M37 parts I will try it on sometime. My green stuff keeps getting further back in the shop....
That one is new to me.

Can you let us know how that works out (like before-and-after pics), Juskatia, please?

Juskatla

Here is a thread with a few good pictures in Post #5. http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?p=210590#post210590

And yet another that expands a bit. YouTube has some good videos posted. http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25360&highlight=rust+removal

I'll document my experiences with this but it won't be this side of the fall months. There are other methods but molasses doesn't damage the hardness or surface like blasting or some of the other chemical methods. My favorite was the laser tool...

If there is sufficient interest in this process, it might be worthwhile to put it into a separate thread where everyone can contribute their findings.

I was reading elsewhere and came across this tidbit for those in Canada looking for parts:

M Series Built in Canada:
GM of Canada: M135 deuce and variants qty 5.428. With that many built, they must be out there somewhere...

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great follow up and links Juskatla. The Goat boys have been using salt and Vinegar for de-rusting so I'll get that formula up here too. Not sure about sensitive metals so a guy needs to do some reading before jumping on different methods. If the Goat team replaces any of the bearings I'll be sure to get part numbers saved so we can repeat the process.

We just did a batch of coins and using molaSSes is a sweet, environmentally friendly way to clean sensitive items. The other thing I learned out of Mapleleafup is to get the molaSSes in the heat.

See the name on the label...Crosby......all the best to Sid the Kid tonight and the Penguin team bringing home the cup. It would also be real cool if San Jose finally got in the winning circle so looking for some entertaining hockey....I digress.

P6090001.jpg

Juskatla

Thank you for the links, Juskatia. :beer:

According to the pics in those links, the water/molasses cure works great; impressive!
I had the occasion to see the results when I visited JDCM at his shop. Pretty impressive to see how it works, without serious chemicals and disposal issues of some other methods. Its not fast but who's in a hurry anyway? I was also lucky enough to be able to see the Stuart tank and Sherman projects. One looks ready to drive away. Others were hiding under tarps waiting their turn in time. I have a 200gal tote that I'll cut the top out of and use to dunk my JD crawler tracks into. Coiled up, they will sit in the solution nicely. I haven't priced the molasses but its horse store stuff, so not expensive and easy to get.

Juskatla

Great follow up and links Juskatla. The Goat boys have been using salt and Vinegar for de-rusting so I'll get that formula up here too. Not sure about sensitive metals so a guy needs to do some reading before jumping on different methods. If the Goat team replaces any of the bearings I'll be sure to get part numbers saved so we can repeat the process.

We just did a batch of coins and using molaSSes is a sweet, environmentally friendly way to clean sensitive items. The other thing I learned out of Mapleleafup is to get the molaSSes in the heat.

See the name on the label...Crosby......all the best to Sid the Kid tonight and the Penguin team bringing home the cup. It would also be real cool if San Jose finally got in the winning circle so looking for some entertaining hockey....I digress.

View attachment 627516
After seeing the results, I'm sold on the molasses process. One thing, that hasn't been mentioned is the smell. Its not the kind of stuff you want to do in the livingroom next to the Harley but if covered and left forgotten for awhile, its should be great on rusty steel. I can't say what it will do for other metals but your coins show it does work on them.

Looks like moving on to another game in the series. Nobody would be happy if it didn't go all seven...

Another Ahab

Since you already have your answer AA, why don't you teach us how you draw those red circles please. You're never around when I need a red circle drawn. Do you just save the pic in 'paint', do your artwork, then 'attach' into Steel Soldiers from the paint program? Guide me oh wise red circle one!
Sorry I'm a little late getting to you here, plowboy, but I was tangled up trying to get my HS graduate daughter out the door for Beach Week with her buddies (God, give us strength).

I don't know if this explanation will make things for you more clear or more confusing, BUT:

- I just save whatever image to me laptop (a MacBook), and somehow it becomes a .jpeg (I'm not any IT wizard and cannot explain to you what happens behind the scenes to make that happen).

- Once there I can click on it, and get this kind of screen (1), from which I select ("click" on), the word "Markup" on the toolbar.

- Then from there I select the "Shapes" icon (2), and

- just progress from there (the "arrow" figure is there also, with the various geometric shapes).

I know this isn't a no-brainer kind of step-by-step explanation, and if I left out some key element, then let me know and I'll try to straighten it out:

1 Markup I.jpg 2 Markuo II.jpg

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow. Thanks for the idea. I just learned something. I have a PC so I opened the image in Windows Photo Viewer and then opened Paint. The program does the same thing. We will be seeing a lot more red circles and arrows in the Early Deuce forum thanks to you!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Canvas

Tried to get a muffler on Goose today but the Goat guys are so fun to hang out with I'm like a dog on a walk distracted by a squirrel. They had all 9 TC bearings pulled off and took them in as samples to see if they can be replaced. They can......$900.00. Whaaaat. We'll talk about that later and get part numbers up whether we like it or not. They tried hard to get things up for the very local parade but excellence takes time. The entire drive-train, with the exception of the diffs, is all brand new.

P6100016.jpgP6100015.jpgP6100013.jpgP6100028.jpgP6100029.jpg

Meanwhile the Gizmo team found those triangle gaskets....part numbers included, price...cheap. He's also still hunting for those sassy diet donuts that fit between the pipe sections and had a few $6.00 samples we're going to try out.....sometime after tomorrow's parade. Ran out of time for a muffler test. Found time to be sure the troops for tomorrow's parade would have at least one dry M135 to ride in. It's the first time I unwrapped the NOS front canvas that a golden MVPA gent kept on a shelf....just for Goose and I, or is that me and Goose. The forecast for this parade is for solid rain and Good times so pics coming tomorrow. If the weather holds it will be the largest turn-out of MVPA units this little town of Onoway has ever seen. http://www.onoway.com/content/heritage-days

P6100026.jpgP6100024.jpgP6100020.jpgP6100019.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Canada Day Weekend

It's been a long few weeks since Goose and I got together. We had our Canada celebrations this weekend and it was great to have the fire bans off and burn some time with the family. SuperDave was a big help digging some exhaust donuts out of his garden to get Goose on the road...what a guy!

P7030185.jpg

After digging up the exhaust donuts we got to take Goose on a test drive. She's staged in the country so the views are green anywhere we park. I grabbed soldier B for an extra set of ears and with Safety First, made him wear his helmet!

P7030199.jpgP7030193.jpgP7030189.jpg

The Goat team is so close to the finish line....I can smell it from my house. Goat is staged 1 block from Goose's city home and hidden among the trees so it doesn't attract attention.

P6300159.jpg

This G749 won't have any bondo on it. These guys have cut out any rust and are finishing panels with steel.

P6300149.jpg

The inner fenders have been pulled and ready for years of road rash.

P6300158.jpg

Fuel tank got a new filter system, the bottom of the box has been prepped and painted, the 'original' door number taped off and the door painted, ceramic coated exhaust is in place. Goat is so close to being on the top of the mountain the sherpas are lining up for jobs.

Where's Another Ahab.......check out those red arrows brother.....oh ya, we're workin' the new talent! Thanks for the tutorial!

P6300156.jpg P6300155.jpgG749 fuel filter.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks