• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

Another Ahab

Plowboy,
I am soo jealous of your OD Green Iron magnet
And I can't find a set of M135 axles nearby, you walk 100-200 feet into the woods and stumble across another complete G749.........some guys have all the luck! LOL!!!!
Maybe there's just a little bit of Irish blood in the family:

- It's supposed to come with Luck you know.

irish.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Early Deuce Voltmeter gauge wiring schematic

I'm looking for a little electrical reassurance that Goose had her voltmeter hooked up correctly.

The speedo took on some water and stuck on 20mph so I decided to swap out the entire gauge assy'.

20161018_173219.jpg

The two gauge assemblies are almost identical except for one wire that is tied off the Molded Splice "E", onto the voltmeter wire "8". The same wire coming off the Molded Splice on the new panel is cut so the answer wasn't real clear.

20161018_173038.jpg20161018_173153.jpg20161018_173148.jpgamp gauge #27 tie in.jpg

Goose's voltmeter always worked correctly however the schematic does not show the tie in.

PA180916.jpg

The back of gauge schematic #171 does show a wire from the molded splice running close to the Voltmeter wire but a splice is not clear.

PA180913.jpg

For those of you that had your gauges out, was it clear that the Voltmeter was tied to the molded splice? For those that are wired to understand and explain electrical, how does this connection to the molded splice #27 function??? Molded splice is described as ...Ignition switch through molded splice to all gauges.

PA180914.jpg

1944mb

Plowboy,
This is my understanding of the schematic...The molded splice is fed from #27 wire, which is switched battery voltage-i.e. when the ignition is off no voltage, and when it is on, voltage is supplied to all the gauges-temp, fuel, brake air, oil press through the molded plug-i didnt know that the g749 used a air brake pressure sending unit(figured it was hard piped). from there each respective gauge takes the raw voltage and uses that to read what is going on. As a example-a fuel sender has a resistor that increases or decreases in resistance depending on the fuel level in tank. So you see two connections-power to the gauge, and the wire going to the sender that basically through resistance level of the sensor, gets the gauge to read what the fuel level is. Back on track-#27 is wired back to the ignition switch that is landed on the same terminal as wire #85. If we follow 85 that goes to the low air pressure warning. Looking at the switch again there is wire #12 which goes tho the distributor(with built in coil) and while the schematic doesnt show it, my guess is #12 is wired to the plus(+) of the coil. Finally the ignition switch has wire #11 which goes to the + battery connection, or on early schematic goes to the ARM connection on voltage regulator--suffice to say it is hooked to battery voltage. So putting it together from the battery...Plowboy climbs into goose to go for a drive to one of his many events. Voltage is waiting to be switched on at #11. Ignition switch is turned-voltage is sent to distributor(#12), waiting for the engine to turn, low air pressure warning is activated(#85)(if goose leaks air and air is low enough), voltage is sent through #27 to molded plug in I/C and all guages bounce to life indicating conditions at hand. One other item not covered is #27 is spliced to #76 which if followed energizes the fuel pump. Plowboy engages the starter. The points activate the ignition coil sending voltage to each spark plug as necessary. Goose fires up, And life is good on the northern Alberta G749 farm. haha. Hope that explaination helps. I believe the G749 is using a voltmeter gauge-meaning it indicates voltage present in the system. There is another type of gauge called an ammeter gauge, but thats a whole different discussion. #8 goes to the voltage regulator, where it reads voltage present in the system with generator working. Through #27(and the molded plug) battery voltage is present(with key on). My hunch is someone spliced #27 and #8 just to get a more consistent voltage reading? Needless to say, I don't anticipate a splice from #8 to #27 being problematic, however the schematic doesnt show one, so why have it there. Hope that isnt too confusing.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You found the schematic in 9-8024 about 2/3 of the way down on pages 304 through 307, obviously. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?106483-More-M135-TM-s

The way you explain it is more like taking a canoe trip down the river with bunch of tributaries we went to explore to find better fish...very nice.

It didn't seem logical that the PO would splice the #27 to #8 because the voltage gauge should activate when the ignition is turned on...through #11/#8. Adding #27 to the loop didn't make sense so I'm going to put things back together without it, like the schematic, and see if she works.

I can't see it being any different than running a positive wire to an accessory, like a light, then adding another positive wire to the positive wire. It donut maka noa sense a. It doesn't appear that the extra tie in is needed so we'll fire it in tomorrow with the hope there's no fire. Thanks for the canoe ride!

1944mb

While it's nice to have a downloadable version on the web , i can see I'll need to get a hard copy. I prefer the pages in hand to slip through....

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All Gave Some, Some Gave All

While it's nice to have a downloadable version on the web , i can see I'll need to get a hard copy. I prefer the pages in hand to slip through....
I have seen the TM's online and when I went shopping the folks at Portrayal Press treated me to a decent price box of goodies. https://www.portrayalpress.com/searchresults.asp?cat=1830

Back at the G749 farm, it's a real special day for family celebration. Great Uncle Ralph headed off to join the troops with the 102nd battalion and was killed in battle 100 years ago today. His brother, my Grandfather went over immediately after Ralph's death and our story is that he went over to settle the score and end the war. We know very little about the Grandfather's battles but he came back without prejudice or anger and cared for every human he met on his return. He was a founder of a local YMCA and although strict with manors and discipline, I remember him as a big, sweet, kind, smiling, blue-eyed Canadian.

We spent part of the day going through some real cool paperwork and remembering how much we owe to those who gave. We will always remember. Some of the documents are around 100 years old so we'll preserve them digitally, right here on the G749 Preservation thread. Thanks Ralph, Grandad and to the Steel Soldiers founder for making it possible.
Ralph is buried in the Regina trench and his name is on the wall at Vimy.

20161016_165714.jpg20161016_165615.jpg20161016_165551.jpg20160930_151445.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That was an easy swap. Looks like I'll be changing out the oil pressure gauge but so far everything else seemed to work. The original #27 wire was disconnected from the molded splice so we're guessing that was why the splice was done onto the voltmeter gauge. I put things back like the schematic....and your lake journey, because that was the right thing to do. Goose is going on a 40 mile run tomorrow to pick potatoes and back to the barn so we'll get a chance to stretch the speedo gauge to the top if the trans holds up. Pics at 11.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ooops, I did it again, big wheels keep on turnin' takin me home to my kin, on the road again, just can't wait to get on the road again, drove my Chevy to the Levy but the Levy was dry......well, she made it.

Goose is such an amazing beast I can't wait to give it the transmission she deserves. Still slipping a little in 3rd and if I come on to it hard in 4th, she'll slip a little there too. It'll pull to maximum speeds eventually but we decided to take the back roads for the 40 mile trip so we wouldn't get in anyone's way.

PA220011.jpgPA220005.jpg

We even stopped by the scales since they were on the way and got this fat beast weighed for the first time. That conversion is 4982lbs on the front axle and 6856 lbs on the rears. What a fat pig weighing in at a whopping 11,838lbs. without the bows and tarp. No wonder the trans started to slip....Goose gotta go on a diet.

PA220006.jpgPA220007.jpg

After the scales I took a little detour through the wee town of Spruce Grove and who should wheel in behind me but the RCMP. After 10 minutes of chasing me down the highway he pulled up behind me at a set of traffic lights in the wee'er town of Stony Plain. He did the little move where they pull to the side so they can look at your face in the drivers mirror and once he saw the endless stupid grin on my face and clearly running the plates, he knew I was legit admittedly insane and passed me as we left the lights......so I chased him for the rest of the way into town. I've had Goose in the Stony Plain Parade for 2 years now and membership has its benefits.

Once at the farm, the fam already had a few potatoes drying on the ground. Banana potatoes, Netted Gems, Yukon Gold, some Reds and these crazy new purple potatoes all got loaded by the time the sun was setting.

PA220017.jpgPA220015.jpg

Goose had a chance to visit his old buddies and his new bus buddy. Just another perfect day in 46°F temps at the G749 farm. French Fries anyone?

PA220022.jpgPA220026.jpgPA220029.jpgPA220027.jpg

1944mb

Do those purple taters have really white meat and yield well? My grandpa gave me some a number of years back and they yielded incredibly. Some were large enough to feed two families! They did keep quite as well, but you were hungry for a long time cause there was so many of them.

Im curious on gooses Tranny...have you checked the pump oil pressure? Have you done any diagnostics on the cause of it? I've really had an interest in debunking this scary transmission. One day I'll have to take you up on buying a spare Tranny to tear apart. They can't be as scary as everyone lets on...

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do those purple taters have really white meat and yield well? My grandpa gave me some a number of years back and they yielded incredibly. Some were large enough to feed two families! They did keep quite as well, but you were hungry for a long time cause there was so many of them.

Im curious on gooses Tranny...have you checked the pump oil pressure? Have you done any diagnostics on the cause of it? I've really had an interest in debunking this scary transmission. One day I'll have to take you up on buying a spare Tranny to tear apart. They can't be as scary as everyone lets on...

This is my first potatoe picture post ever. These things are purple all the way through and taste like butter and salt.

PA260031.jpg

The G749 Farm was rolling with history so we grabbed a picture of the 76 Oshkosh P-4, the 1966 GM Fire Department Bus and the 1956 GMC M135 Early Deuce.

PA290073.jpg

The 1966 Fall-out shelter sign.

PA290081.jpg

A couple pics of the Deuce, the Bus and a link to videos of the Civil Defence Bus over here http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?147809-Civil-Defense-Vehicles-and-Items/page8

PA290075.jpgPA290076.jpgPA290068.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're a brave man, plowboy. I would be "sore afraid" of hanging up any of those beautiful vehicles in that soft ground you drive them on.

But I guess if you'll eat purple potatoes then there's nothing in this world you fear.
You said it!!!! There are places that you just don't drive during a wet spell. For at least a decade we had very dry falls and access was easy. After the Fort Mac fires we had rain....or snow... for 7 days out of 10, 70% of our summer was soggy. A cummins lovin' Steel Soldier, Terrh found out just how bad it was on the weekend and a GM had to rescue a Dodge again.

mms_img1614837093.jpg

It was at least a decade ago when I chased a Samuri Sukuki 4x along the shoreline of the swamp. That Suzuki could go places where you just don't drive a GM. Here's a 50's Ford pulling out the 97' crew cab 4x. The G749 farm would swallow trucks..... if we let it.

PA310129.jpg

There are just some places you don't drive.......after you turn 50. I stopped doing it and encourage others now. After I paid for the repairs, maintenance and wash jobs long enough I barely get them dirty anymore....except for this one last swim. We gotta get you up here to join us, the water is warm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZqvDw_vYDQ

1944mb

m1010plowboy; [URL said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZqvDw_vYDQ[/URL]
As my grandpa would say, the invention of 4x4 was the worst thing that happened to people who drove in adverse conditions...why? Cause then people thought they could go anywhere! Wish he was still around...I never did get his take on if the invention of the 6x6 was good or not! Mother nature has a way of being in charge sometimes. Nice video

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Engine Parts

How many G749 engine crates does it take to fill a scrap yard.......about a dozen!

I had pics of these posted a few years ago and the owner keeps calling to ask if I want any of this stuff. I'm not sure of the exact count but we found 12 boxes with 302's and the hired help thought he counted 26 a few years ago. It was at least 4 years ago when the aging land owner was in a big panic to clean the yard up because the wife was putting pressure on him to sell sell sell. Since no one else has shown interest he may back down on his pricing to a point that actually makes sense for a purchase. Hoping to get 5 of these out this fall but the rest are buried between cars/ trucks stacked 5 high so it'll be a while before we can get at the trailer or some of the crates in the middle of the yard. Really hoping that we can find more of these complete exhaust manifolds to sell a few and get more G749's on the road. The Preservation continues.

Please place paper towel over your keyboards before viewing pictures!

PB100194.jpg PB100193.jpg PB100192.jpg PB100166.jpg PB100177.jpgPB100167.jpgPB100168.jpgPB030151.jpgPB100195.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks